Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2011, 07:14 AM

10 posts, read 79,991 times

Advertisements

Hi
I am looking for advice from people familiar with the special education in the public elmentary schools in Ardsley and Bronxville. We will be moving and I have it narrowed down to these two districts. My son is 7 with PDD- nos and high functioning, mainstreamed with an aide and is in desperate need of learning social skills to interact normally with other children. He is very bright academically although he functions better in a small group he does much better mainstreamed since he copies other children's behaviors.
I have heard Bronxville is good but no specifics??
I have hear Ardsley in not as good if your child is mainstreamed and is better in the separate classrooms??
Any advice would be very much appreciated!!
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 12:06 PM

132 posts, read 514,683 times
Both my oldest boys were in Ardsley for Kindergarten and 1st grade. Both have IEPs. My oldest was completely mainstreamed with some reading resource. He did well there. My youngest has no cognitive delays but lots of social/emotional/sensory stuff that was at first dx as PDD-NOS but has since be un-dx (if that makes any sense) to a more amorphous generalized anxiety disorder. He partially mainstreamed the first year and then in the Emotional Support Program the second- which is essentially a mainstreamed placement with extra social/emotional supports at various point during the day. He'd start out in the ESP program room and go over his goals and schedule for the day for about 10 minutes and then go with another boy to their assigned mainstream room supported by an aide. There they would stay for the remainder of the day with the support of the aide doing all the same curriculum and specials as the non-classified kids. Then the last 10 minutes of the day they'd check back in with the ESP staff and debrief about the day. So my limited perspective is about mainstreamed kids. I'd say Ardsley does an outstanding job with mainstreamed kids, particularly with social/emotional learning. They also do a great job educated all the student popular about social skills. I would think you would find Ardsley a good fit. I don't have any 1st or 2nd hand knowledge about Bronxville's special education services although their general ed program is highly regarded as I am sure you already know. Good luck!

Old 10-16-2011, 04:50 PM

68 posts, read 323,367 times
Although I don't know specifics about PPD, I do know firsthand that Bronxville has a very caring and nurturing student environment and children who are in Special Ed programs become well adjusted as they mainstream into the general student population. I know children there who have been classmates with the special ed students - the Bronxville teachers integrate an education on sensitivity by building awareness about particular needs. This article is an example of the pride shown by the elementary school children actively advocating their awareness.

Bronxville Fifth-Grade Students Make Autistic Students Feel Welcome in School Environment

Building and maintaining social skills is a big part of the town and school community with a lot of beneficial influences like volunteering that cross over from parental involvement and community service.

Last edited by moxiecat; 10-16-2011 at 05:04 PM..

Old 11-12-2011, 06:56 PM

3 posts, read 14,581 times
I'd love some further information on the Ardsley vs. Bronxville issue as we have similar needs for our son. Just wondered which district integrates more of a social skills curriculum into their district? And does anyone know if any of the districts in Westchester aside from Eastchester uses the Michelle Dunn model?

thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County