Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 05:16 AM

10 posts, read 89,800 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I would like to ask you guys about the safety in the Bronx. I've just got my first job in pelham bay park area. I have to get off at Gun hill road (#5 train) and do about 1 mile walk on East Gun Hill rd, or get off at Pelham Bay Station (#6 train) and take #12 bus. Currently, I live in Queens, so that I know it's much easier to drive from Queens to Bronx, but cannot afford buying a car, also no parking spots in my neighbor. I don't mind to take subway and bus, but just concerned about the safety around the area in the Bronx. Is it safe to walk at night on East gun road or Stillwell ave? How about those subway stations? Is the #12 bus stop at Pelham Bay Station close to the station? and come often? I am 24 y.o. female. I appreciate any suggestions. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2007, 06:16 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,533,991 times
The area around the 5 train GunHill Rd is not safe for a female especially at night. Gun Hill would get more deserted walking east after you pass the entrance to Co-op City(Bartow Ave) as you approach I95. The Pelham Bay Park terminal on the 6 is a better neighborhood. I believe the 12 bus does meet the 6 train but don't know the schedule. Contact the MTA for details

Old 08-24-2007, 08:03 AM

Default Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
The area around the 5 train GunHill Rd is not safe for a female especially at night. Gun Hill would get more deserted walking east after you pass the entrance to Co-op City(Bartow Ave) as you approach I95. The Pelham Bay Park terminal on the 6 is a better neighborhood. I believe the 12 bus does meet the 6 train but don't know the schedule. Contact the MTA for details
Thank you, rlrl!

I will check the schedule with MTA. One more question,Do you know if there is any car service at the Pelham Bay station? I don't think I would take it for going to work everyday, but just in case..

Old 08-24-2007, 08:46 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,533,991 times
Most likely there are car svces. In fact you could ask those at your job if they know of any car svces they use and get the phone #. Such svces would come pick you up as long as they were taking you back to the area they service

Avoid Gun Hill Rd. Not worth the risk. I call it "Gun" Hill Rd if you know what I mean!!

Old 08-24-2007, 09:01 AM

314 posts, read 488,439 times
no need for a protracted response to OP....the answer is, no. take the train in the bronx at night as a woman (esp. if you're white) at your peril

Old 08-24-2007, 09:33 AM

3 posts, read 39,955 times
I live in the area and know both trains very well. The #6 train at Pelham Bay is the way to go! It's calmer, cleaner, more mannerly and safer. The #12 bus runs frequently.

I don't know where your job is, but have you considered taking the QBX1 bus, which goes directly from Flushing, Queens to Pelham Bay? If you have time before your job starts, get a Fun Pass and do a test run of the different lines, especially if you can do it on a weekday and at the time of day you'll be commuting. It will be different before the kids go back to school, but it'll give you an idea.

Also, I don't think you CAN get to Stillwell Avenue directly (at least the part I know about) by going to Gun Hill. Check Google Maps to see where you will be. It really depends where you are trying to go, you may have more than 1 way to get there. I also wouldn't recommend taking a cab from either station, unless you are traveling with at least one other person you know for safety.

Depending on your route and time of day, you may be able to coordinate your trip using express buses.

Also, my advice to you depends on whether you are working in a school (you'll want to avoid all the school kids -- unless you don't mind), coming home late at night (and it depends how late), etc. If you provide more info (but not too much) I can give you more advice.

Old 08-24-2007, 12:02 PM

Default Re:

[quote=waggles;1347798]I live in the area and know both trains very well. The #6 train at Pelham Bay is the way to go! It's calmer, cleaner, more mannerly and safer. The #12 bus runs frequently.

Thank you for your suggestion. I will be working at a nursing home near I95 and Hutchington pkwy. My work would be done around 6-7pm everyday. The employer says there is a bus stop on Stillwell ave. Since most of the employee drive, they don't know much about the public transportation around there. I check the map for #12 bus (from Pelham Bay station), but it seems running on the Pelham pkwy. I have to make sure if it stops at Stillwell ave. Anyway, thank you and hope to get more infor.

Old 08-24-2007, 02:36 PM

Default Sorry this is long . . .

Hi, nayomi.

If it's near the motel/diner/golf center/Home Depot (some of which you'll see from the highway), then no bus takes you directly there.

It's ironic. You'll be close to everything on the map, but getting there won't be easy (nor will you feel safe especially in the winter when its dark). The immediate area is too isolated with too little foot traffic, even though you are in a mostly residential area. But you see, it's only "safely" accessible really by car.

Also, your commute would be untenable. It looks like you'll be traveling too far. You'll have to leave out too early, with too many opportunities for missed connections to get you there on time consistently and you're going against rush hour traffic so you'll be stuck taking the local in the Bronx. You'll have to add some serious walking time to that commute. And you'd have to do it when it's dark outside in the winter.

I guarantee, the first winter snows or heavy autumn storms come, you'll be running late due to transit delays, and the stress alone of being late so often (even if you leave the door on time) will hurt your health and your career.

Your evening commute would be no picnic. Let's say you can get there comfortably safe from the #12 bus on Pelham Parkway (which is the better of 2 evils -- the #5 is NOT a safe, viable option), at that time of evening you face fewer buses and trains (plus you're going against the grain of rush hour traffic, so no express #6 train service heading back home).

Now, when I say going from the direction of the #12 bus, I mean that you are going through a residential area, but once again there's too little foot traffic, the area right at your bus stop (although generally fine) is too dark because of the vegetation. That exact spot on Stillwell Avenue would have you passing behind an area that contains dark, dense vegetation, train tracks, highways and parkways and poor visibility to the outside world if you need assistance. (It's not a bad area, but once again, you're somewhat isolated and alone.)

Pelham Parkway itself is fine, but the side streets (and particulary Stillwell Avenue) are quiet and especially at night in the winter. For a female traveling alone you want there to be plenty of other people walking around, especially other women.

Lastly, your commute times will be way too long. (Oh! And there aren't any good eateries for lunch.) You may want to question whether this particular job is worth it without a reliable car. Factor in the cost of a cab to and from the Pelham Bay station (which MIGHT be your safest bet--and I don't think it really is), you'd be better off with a car.

This all may be painful to hear, but you need to know what you're in for. This is your first job. You want to be able to get there on time, get home in time to have a life (however you define that), and be able to handle unforeseen circumstances such as inclement weather, traffic delays and emergencies at work that keep you there later than usual. Also, factor in that you may stay at that job longer than you intend. Do you really think you could do that commute for several years (and keep your health)? (I'm telling you from experience, not likely.)

There's a reason why everyone at your new workplace drives. There is no other reasonable way to get there, especially for a female going there alone.

If you want to try it, I recommend doing a dry run, testing out different alternatives (which I can give if you want) -- during the (preferably week)day and with a friend -- to see what may and may not work for you. You may discover a solution that I haven't seen.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:52 PM

Default Re

Thank you, Waggles

I really appreciate your suggestions. those are very helpful for me! I will think about getting a car (probably a cheap car) as you suggested since I would like to keep my first job for several years. By the way, how much do you think it costs to get a reliable car? Sorry to ask you, but I have never bought a car for myself.

Old 08-27-2007, 07:55 AM

You're welcome, nayomi.

I don't currently own a car, so I'm not the best person to ask about buying one. I recommend doing research on edmunds.com, looking in the classifieds to get an idea about pricing -- and there's a website I read all the time which has a lot of information about car brands, called thetruthaboutcars.com. I also bought a book several years ago called, "What Car Dealers Won't Tell You . . . " by Bob Ellston. There are others out there. Look them up on Amazon.com and read the reader reviews.

Definitely read up so that you know what to expect, especially the tricks dealers will try to play on you. You will need to be educated in order to save money and get the best deal and treatment. It's not just about the initial car price, but service issues and fair treatment as well. You can't afford a "cheap car" that you paid too much for and that is in the shop all the time. It will take some work on your part, but will be worth it. Don't be in a rush, though, even though your job may start soon.

You may find it less expensive the first few months to hire a reliable cab company to take you to and from the train station. And it'll still be light outside in the evening for at least another month.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County