U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Westchester Vs Long Island
Westchester 27 90.00%
Long Island 3 10.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-15-2011, 07:35 PM
 
Location: East Millcreek
2,576 posts, read 6,504,916 times
Reputation: 3180

Advertisements

It's an imperfect analolgy and wild overgeneralization, but I equate the North Shore to a kind of hybrid of N & S Westchester. As for the rest of LI, well, I can only sympathize from afar over the challenges described here: Get Off Our Island

See also the "northern vs southern Westchester" thread.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-15-2011, 08:08 PM
 
1,594 posts, read 3,325,641 times
Reputation: 1585
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
There's only a few spots on LI that have higher than average crime
Yes. Only Nassau and Suffolk.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2011, 11:00 PM
 
Location: Planet Earth
3,905 posts, read 8,692,884 times
Reputation: 1649
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytrekker View Post
Yes. Only Nassau and Suffolk.
80% of LI is as safe as any other suburb. Within the remaining 20%, at least 3/4 are no worse than the average neighborhood in "the city", so that leaves something like 5% of the county being anything that could realistically be considered dangerous.

Westchester and LI both have a few bad areas. Westchester has Southwest Yonkers and parts of Mount Vernon and New Rochelle (as well as a few small pockets in areas like Port Chester), whereas LI has Hempstead and Wyandanch and a few other pockets scattered around the county.

Since Westchester overall has more urbanized areas, I'd say that it has a higher crime rate (per-person) when looked at wholistically. If course, that would be stupid to look at it that way: Crime in Southwest Yonkers has no impact on people in Armonk.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2011, 08:14 AM
bg7
 
7,695 posts, read 9,888,057 times
Reputation: 15256
Long Island specializes in hate crimes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:27 PM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top