U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 11:15 PM

395 posts, read 1,545,521 times

Advertisements

Actually Scarsdale HS and Mamaroneck HS are larger than Horace Greeley (Chap), John Jay (KL) or Yorktown HS, and Harrison HS is pretty close. There are also smaller schools in the north like Croton-Harmon HS and Briarcliff HS (I would put Pleasantville in the north category as well since that high school is only about 3 miles from Horace Greeley), and Byram Hills (Armonk) has about the same enrollment as Rye.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 08:16 AM
bg7

7,695 posts, read 9,832,230 times
Rye Neck HS (in Mamaroneck) is about 400 for the whole school.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:23 AM
bg7

The 15 smallest high schools by senior class size in Westchester seem to be:
Tuckahoe, Alexander Hamilton (Elmsford), Blind Brook (Rye Brook), Rye Neck (Mamaroneck), Bronxville, Valhalla, Dobbs Ferry, Hastings, Woodlands (Hartsdale), Westlake (Thornwood), Briarcliff, Pleasantville, Irvington, Pelham, Edgemont (Scarsdale).

Old 02-09-2012, 09:52 AM

414 posts, read 258,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
The 15 smallest high schools by senior class size in Westchester seem to be:
Tuckahoe, Alexander Hamilton (Elmsford), Blind Brook (Rye Brook), Rye Neck (Mamaroneck), Bronxville, Valhalla, Dobbs Ferry, Hastings, Woodlands (Hartsdale), Westlake (Thornwood), Briarcliff, Pleasantville, Irvington, Pelham, Edgemont (Scarsdale).
i'll bet money that north salem and somers are less then those.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:21 AM

395 posts, read 1,545,521 times
I was referring to Scarsdale Senior High School (1400+) and Mamaroneck High School (1500+), both of which are larger than any high school in northern westchester. Not that it particularly matters, there are large high schools that are highly ranked and regarded, and smaller high schools that are lesser achieving, and vice versa.

Last edited by cali_to_nj; 02-09-2012 at 11:06 AM..

Old 02-09-2012, 10:40 AM
bg7

Ns4life - I did further research and it seems that some schools weren't included on the data I was looking at - so scrap that whole list I posted!

I found that North Salem came in at 413 students in grades 9-12, so that would place it with Tuckahoe (304), Alexander Hamilton (395), Blind Brook (418), and Rye Neck (411). Somers seems sizeable - 1032 students.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:58 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,169,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali_to_nj View Post
there are large high schools that are highly ranked and regarded, and smaller high schools that are lesser achieving, and vice versa.
Depends...sometimes rankings are based on SAT scores, which are irrelevant for schools ranked above the mean. As long as they're not in the bottom rung, they're fine.

Also the larger the school, the more stretched the principal is in terms of supervisory responsibilities. Some people would prefer having more quality control over the teachers.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:31 PM

232 posts, read 474,101 times
Thanks for all the answers guys. I've been looking at some homes near Bedford Hills/Katonah. I really like the area. The quaint downtowns (especially Katonah). I've read some great reviews about Fox Lane HS and it's only an hour by train (give or take). I've been reading though that shopping is limited in N Westchester. How true is this? Besides going into Manhattan, where can I go for some malls/brand name stores? Is there a small Macys in N Westchester? JC Penny?

Old 02-18-2012, 08:29 AM

2,571 posts, read 6,461,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frischee112 View Post
Thanks for all the answers guys. I've been looking at some homes near Bedford Hills/Katonah. I really like the area. The quaint downtowns (especially Katonah). I've read some great reviews about Fox Lane HS and it's only an hour by train (give or take). I've been reading though that shopping is limited in N Westchester. How true is this? Besides going into Manhattan, where can I go for some malls/brand name stores? Is there a small Macys in N Westchester? JC Penny?
Depends on how much a mass-brand mall rat you are. Mt Kisco has a handfull of "brand name" stores (Gap, Ann Taylor, etc.) as well as some smaller boutiques. But they're actually free standing stores in a real village -!!!! - not in a mall. If you're happy with JC Penny there's also a Target, Marshal's and Kohls. If you need something more upmarket you'll go to White Plains or Stamford. The fact is, the area is pretty mall and strip-mall free, and that's viewed as a major positive. Unless you live to shop, the occasional trip to White Plains isn't very onerous.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:17 PM

92 posts, read 347,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Depends on how much a mass-brand mall rat you are. Mt Kisco has a handfull of "brand name" stores (Gap, Ann Taylor, etc.) as well as some smaller boutiques. But they're actually free standing stores in a real village -!!!! - not in a mall. If you're happy with JC Penny there's also a Target, Marshal's and Kohls. If you need something more upmarket you'll go to White Plains or Stamford. The fact is, the area is pretty mall and strip-mall free, and that's viewed as a major positive. Unless you live to shop, the occasional trip to White Plains isn't very onerous.
Yep, within ~30-40 mins of the area, there are a bunch of towns you can get to with brand name shopping- Between White Plains, Stamford, Greenwich, Danbury, West Nyack, Mohegan Lake, you can basically get everything you can want in terms of stores.

The thing I personally like about the Bedford Hillsarea is you can get the quaint walkable towns of Katonah, Bedford Village, and downtown Mount Kisco, yet there is also the functional stretch on 117 between Bedford Hills and Mount Kisco where you can do your regular, every day shopping with stores open later than 5pm. Not to mention there is a BJ's about 15 mins away in Yorktown Heights and there are talks about opening a Costco there also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County