U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 05:32 PM

2,575 posts, read 6,469,030 times

Advertisements

This morning I was reminded of this thread after reading today's NYT review of the North Star Restaurant in Pound Ridge. My wife and I go there occasionally and have always been delighted. But the article encapsulated the cultural differences between northern and southern westchester as well as anything I can think of.

For starters, the Times rated it "don't miss." The North star has seriously excellent food. But they titled the review "Extravagant Cuisine, Without the Pretension." This observation manages to capture the point:
"That the guest opposite me was happily laying into a platter of spicy chicken wings, while a boy dining with his father at an adjacent table was solving math problems between bites of macaroni and cheese, sort of says it all about North Star, where the cocktail-lounge vibe and lack of pretension in no way prepare you for entrees that would not be out of place in a luxury European restaurant."

So, here's a casual, family friendly place with live music a couple nights. There are young people in jeans, guys in suits and serious oldsters next to families with kids. Nobody is showing off, nobody is trying to impress anybody, there's no pretentious faux-luxury valet parking. There's no attitude or scowls from the waiter cause you're wearing jeans and flip-flops. In fact, the waiters wear t-shirts.

How can this work? Cause nobody there gives a damn what anybody else thinks about them. That you're there is enough. Who is there to impress and what's the point? Who cares anyway? If there's somewhere in southern Westchester that I can get a superb meal - not just good, but superb - in a relaxed setting in a t-shirt and no nasty looks I'd like to know about it. The flip side, of course, is that those with the need to be seen or make an impression would find this all very unsatisfactory. And for them there's The Equus in Tarrytown or any number of similar places.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 09:18 AM

414 posts, read 259,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
This morning I was reminded of this thread after reading today's NYT review of the North Star Restaurant in Pound Ridge. My wife and I go there occasionally and have always been delighted. But the article encapsulated the cultural differences between northern and southern westchester as well as anything I can think of.

For starters, the Times rated it "don't miss." The North star has seriously excellent food. But they titled the review "Extravagant Cuisine, Without the Pretension." This observation manages to capture the point:
"That the guest opposite me was happily laying into a platter of spicy chicken wings, while a boy dining with his father at an adjacent table was solving math problems between bites of macaroni and cheese, sort of says it all about North Star, where the cocktail-lounge vibe and lack of pretension in no way prepare you for entrees that would not be out of place in a luxury European restaurant."

So, here's a casual, family friendly place with live music a couple nights. There are young people in jeans, guys in suits and serious oldsters next to families with kids. Nobody is showing off, nobody is trying to impress anybody, there's no pretentious faux-luxury valet parking. There's no attitude or scowls from the waiter cause you're wearing jeans and flip-flops. In fact, the waiters wear t-shirts.

How can this work? Cause nobody there gives a damn what anybody else thinks about them. That you're there is enough. Who is there to impress and what's the point? Who cares anyway? If there's somewhere in southern Westchester that I can get a superb meal - not just good, but superb - in a relaxed setting in a t-shirt and no nasty looks I'd like to know about it. The flip side, of course, is that those with the need to be seen or make an impression would find this all very unsatisfactory. And for them there's The Equus in Tarrytown or any number of similar places.
That place soudns great.

FWIW, I think the northeast corner of westchester (north from rt 35 exit on 684 and bounded by 684 on the east) is the nicest area in the NYC metro. But I'm prob biased, since I grew up there.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:30 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,317,534 times
[deleted]

Last edited by richrf; 03-26-2012 at 10:41 AM..

Old 03-26-2012, 10:34 AM

2,575 posts, read 6,469,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
Is it safe to say that if my wife and I move to Westchester from Chicago (we want to settle down near relatives who live in Brooklyn, Queens, and L.I.), and want a more urban feel, then White Plains is pretty much the only place to check out? (We are also considering Toronto where we also have relatives).
You'd do better to start a new thread and outlining your issues there instead of appending to this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County