Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 01:19 PM

10 posts, read 78,958 times

Advertisements

jjinla - Thanks again! I like the idea of being close to my neighbors, but also of having a big back yard.... all I want is a nice house with a finished basement on the front of a rectangular level half acre, on a cul-de-sac, near the train in a nice safe town that has a great school system, ... oh yeah, and for a decent price.... that's all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 01:40 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,457,992 times
LOL...good luck with that. It took us over a year to find a place here, as we had several come to Jesus reality checks along the way. Make sure you hire a patient real estate agent!

Old 11-19-2011, 10:42 AM

581 posts, read 1,303,164 times
P'ville is much more affordable.
For the same square footage, you'll pay more in price and taxes in Chapp.

Old 11-21-2011, 04:02 PM

168 posts, read 523,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Ville? View Post
1) Is Pleasantville's downtown that much bigger/busier/better than Chappaqua's? (seems like you would still have to do some decent driving to reach a movie complex, a superstore, a mall - we're a family of 6).
P'ville downtown is definitely more useful and has more dining and entertainment options. Chappaqua is all but dead by 9PM on a weeknight and has very few options. Best supermarket options are in Thornwood -- about a 5 min drive. You have the Stop & Shop, CVS and other useful places in the Town Center, and an A&P, CVS and other places in the Rose Hill shopping center. Rose Hill is quieter and easier to deal with in my opinion.

Quote:
2) What are the implications of Chappaqua being a bigger school system? (I've seen it stated that Chappaqua has two elementary schools - but my kids will still attend only one of them based on where we live).
Chappaqua schools are highly regarded and consistently rank among the best schools in the country. It is a bigger district, and Greeley is a fairly big high school, but nothing like White Plains or Yonkers sized. P'ville is also a great district with less exclusivity, but honestly I think it's just as good.

Quote:
3) I assume the schools are both great - is there a significant difference in the percentage of Jewish kids per class? (and before anyone objects to the question, I have no issue with anyone of any religion, I just don't want my kids to be the only ones of anything, it just makes life easier).
If I had to guess, there is a significantly higher number of Jewish students in Chappaqua, but I would do some leg work on this one.

Quote:
4) I read a lot that Pleasantville do not have school buses, does that make a big difference? - do kids in Chappaqua really wait around for the school bus to pick them up and drive around the town picking up others? or more realistically kids from both town just get driven to school by parent/caregiver)
P'ville is a huge drive-in district because they have very limited bus services. Many walk, but the majority of the younger students get driven in by parents. Chappaqua is probably more of an even mix, weighted towards bussing.

Quote:
5) The JCC in Pleasantville seems rather run down and more a school then anything - am I missing something? what is the community pool like? Does Chappaqua have one?
Can't help on this.

Quote:
6) Is there a waiting list for train station parking in either town?
Yes for both as far as I know.

Quote:
7) From a commuting standpoint the towns seem the same, 46min from GCS to Pvill, 49min to Cpq, same frequency.
Commutes are pretty much the same. Depending on where you park, it's easier to get out of the P'ville train station area. Chappaqua backs up and can take 10-15 min to make your way out of the center of town on a bad day.
[/quote]

Quote:
8) Anyone from Chappaqua - would you recommend living on the east or west side of the train tracks? why?
West side is more secluded and private. It's also a P-I-T-A to get up there in the winter or during storms. You'll want an AWD car if not an SUV. The east side is closer to 117 so you can drive about with more ease, but it's also more congested/not as quiet.

Quote:
9) Anyone from Pleasantville - would you recommend living on the east or west side of the train tracks? why?
[/quote]

Doesn't matter as much in P'ville. On the west side, I'd just stay away from the are immediately adjacent to the Saw Mill. There are a lot of flooding issues, and it's generally not as nice as other parts of the village in my opinion.

Quote:
Any input on the above or other thoughts would be greatly appreciated - we're thinking of moving this summer, a family of 6 (4 kids under the age of seven, price range $1million).

Thanks!
Living in either area comes with a financial premium, but Chappaqua will cost you more in the long-term (taxes alone should make this obvious). The atmosphere is also drastically different in both towns. In Chappaqua, a lot of people have a lot of $$ and this shows. High schoolers drive BMWs and Mercs and the keeping up with the jonses mentality is very prevalent. Pleasantville is much more grounded and has a better sense of community/is tighter knit. There is more diversity (social and economic) and this is a good thing.

Old 11-22-2011, 04:08 PM

PullingHairs - thank you so much for the detailed response.

With respect to "Chappaqua is all but dead by 9PM on a weeknight"....to be honest, I'm all but dead by 9PM on the weeknight.... so not sure that's an issue (the glorious life of full time work and kids). But I see what you mean, it seems that to get to any kind of meaningful shopping from Chappaqua, you'd have to first drive towards Pleasantville, so it's an extra 5-10 minutes (depending of time of day/traffic).

Old 11-22-2011, 05:18 PM

168 posts, read 523,428 times
Quote:
PullingHairs - thank you so much for the detailed response.

With respect to "Chappaqua is all but dead by 9PM on a weeknight"....to be honest, I'm all but dead by 9PM on the weeknight.... so not sure that's an issue (the glorious life of full time work and kids). But I see what you mean, it seems that to get to any kind of meaningful shopping from Chappaqua, you'd have to first drive towards Pleasantville, so it's an extra 5-10 minutes (depending of time of day/traffic).
No problem. I guess what I'm trying to point out with that comment is that there really is no downtown "scene" in Chappaqua. Pleasantville has a nice village vibe, there are restaurants, people out walking around in the evenings, you have late showings at the Jacob Burns Film Center if you and the Mrs. want a nice night out, etc. As for an "extra" drive, you'll likely be driving everywhere anyway, so I wouldn't factor that in your decision making process. Everyone drives everywhere in Westchester. If you are long drive adverse, I would start to pay attention when you're in the depths of some parts of Chappaqua that are pretty far away from 117 or the Saw Mill. In those parts, it can take you a good 15+ minutes just to get to a main area of Thornwood/Pleasantville/Mt. Kisco to take care of your shopping.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:27 AM

395 posts, read 1,617,984 times
I live in Chappaqua after having lived in Pleasantville for a year, and just want to caution that a lot of the generalizations on this board are not quite accurate as there are so many factors that contribute to individual experiences. For example, the house we bought in Chap had more land and was in better condition than comparably priced homes in P-ville. There was very low available inventory in the village, which is where most people want to be to have proximity to schools, downtown and train. There were a lot more splits and ranches in dire need of cosmetic renovation, whereas we found more updated colonials in Chap. My taxes are lower than most of the other comparably priced homes we looked at in P-ville.

Chappaqua has more express trains (some only stop at WP or 125th and GCT) during peak commuting hours than P-ville, and P-ville currently has a waiting list for resident parking.

My daughter attended one year at Bedford Road in P-ville and is now at Roaring Brook in Chap. Both schools are wonderful but I prefer the grass and more expansive outside facilities at RB. I also like the fact that while class size is small (approx. 18 kids), the district is bigger so your kids have more diverse social options and are not stuck with the same kids from kindergarten through hs. Selfishly, I prefer having more social options for myself as well. Even though P-ville is always described as being more down to earth and Chap as being more snooty and materialistic, I personally have not found that to be the case. The P-ville PTA moms were way more cliquey and you are stuck with the same moms at the school, at the store, around town, the pool, etc. Chap has a lot of 2-income households and I have found more working professional moms I can connect with here than in P-ville.

As for the notion that the Greeley parking lot is filled with BMW's, I fully expected this the first time I went there during a school day, and lo and behold it was NOT the case either. Yes there are nice cars sprinkled in but for the most part there were normal cars - Hondas, Subarus, Fords, etc. Or older model luxury cars that were obviously handed down from mom or dad. I have not found people here to be flashy with their money at all, especially compared to lower Westchester.

Both are great towns, just trying to give another perspective. Feel free to message me if you have any more specific questions. Good luck!

Old 11-23-2011, 12:12 PM

cali_to_nj - thanks for the additional perspective.

I like the idea of the pleasantville village, but I also like the idea of the Chappaqua larger school district - I think the school might out weigh the village in my mind.

Did you intentionally choose to live West of the Saw Mill? or was it just where you found a house you liked? (or did you have a preference for RB school?).

Being on the east side seems to be slightly more convenient for getting to the train staion, Pleasantville or Mt. Kisco for errands/outings (than again it could mean dealing more with traffic on the 117 - how bad does it get?)

Thanks!

Old 11-23-2011, 06:56 PM

395 posts, read 1,617,984 times
Hi we were looking in the under $1M range, so there was more inventory for us on the Roaring Brook side of town. I had also heard very positive things about that school (which have proven true so far) and the general neighborhood. On the east side there is a higher concentration of super-wealth and those kids attend Grafflin, so you will have more of what you hear about on these boards in terms of keeping up with the Joneses. That being said, I have talked to parents of middle schoolers at Robert Bell, which mixes the Grafflin and RB kids, and they are very happy with it. Of course kids from all of the schools play together on sports teams, attend religion class together, etc. and we have not had a negative experience yet.

We are off of 120/Quaker road and without traffic it's literally less than a 5 minute drive to the station, or 15 min walk, so I would say it's very convenient to get to the station from that side of town. Chappaqua in general has traffic issues around town and on 120 and 117 during peak hours, exacerbated by the school buses, construction and post-storm downed trees/branches. Pleasantville is not immune to this either though, as both Manville and Bedford get completely backed up before and after school, Memorial Drive and Wheeler are a mess during the farmer's market on Saturdays, etc. None of these towns are really built for high traffic flow. I will say we still use a lot of amenities in P-ville so don't feel like you will miss out on the downtown if you move a few minutes away to Chap

Old 12-02-2011, 11:59 AM

114 posts, read 571,603 times
The Pleasantville Train station is by permit (there are metered positions there too), but they only offer resident permits. And by resident, you have to live within Pleasantville proper. I have a Pleasantville PO, but I'm actually in Mount Pleasant. They wouldn't give me a permit. So I park at the Hawthorne train station, which has a good sized lot and pretty cheap.

I heard that Chappaqua's train parking has a many-month waiting list, but I can't confirm that. It's only what I've overheard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County