Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 03:55 PM

10 posts, read 78,713 times

Advertisements

Can anyone comment on the advantages of either community (over the other). Here are some thoughts that come to mind:

1) Is Pleasantville's downtown that much bigger/busier/better than Chappaqua's? (seems like you would still have to do some decent driving to reach a movie complex, a superstore, a mall - we're a family of 6).

2) What are the implications of Chappaqua being a bigger school system? (I've seen it stated that Chappaqua has two elementary schools - but my kids will still attend only one of them based on where we live).

3) I assume the schools are both great - is there a significant difference in the percentage of Jewish kids per class? (and before anyone objects to the question, I have no issue with anyone of any religion, I just don't want my kids to be the only ones of anything, it just makes life easier).

4) I read a lot that Pleasantville do not have school buses, does that make a big difference? - do kids in Chappaqua really wait around for the school bus to pick them up and drive around the town picking up others? or more realistically kids from both town just get driven to school by parent/caregiver)

5) The JCC in Pleasantville seems rather run down and more a school then anything - am I missing something? what is the community pool like? Does Chappaqua have one?

6) Is there a waiting list for train station parking in either town?

7) From a commuting standpoint the towns seem the same, 46min from GCS to Pvill, 49min to Cpq, same frequency.

8) Anyone from Chappaqua - would you recommend living on the east or west side of the train tracks? why?

9) Anyone from Pleasantville - would you recommend living on the east or west side of the train tracks? why?

Any input on the above or other thoughts would be greatly appreciated - we're thinking of moving this summer, a family of 6 (4 kids under the age of seven, price range $1million).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 08:17 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,804,559 times
From what I've gathherd in these threads, Pleasantville seems to have a bigger special needs/education program than Chappaqua, which takes up its share in the school budget. You might want to think about that if you have no kids with special needs and if how your taxes are allocated matters to you.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:26 AM

Thanks Forest_Hills_Daddy. Other than the size of the special needs program would you say the towns are un-defferntiated?

Anyone have any input regarding the other items on the list?

Thanks!

Old 11-17-2011, 02:23 PM

79 posts, read 290,583 times
We moved to Chappaqua last year (one house over the P-Vile line) after looking closely at both. We decided based on what became available, rather than on a preference for Chappaqua.

1) Is Pleasantville's downtown that much bigger/busier/better than Chappaqua's? (seems like you would still have to do some decent driving to reach a movie complex, a superstore, a mall - we're a family of 6).

P-Ville is one of the more active towns in the area, and Chappaqua one of the least. We are less than a half-mile from the Chappaqua downtown, and still go to P-Ville more often.

2) What are the implications of Chappaqua being a bigger school system? (I've seen it stated that Chappaqua has two elementary schools - but my kids will still attend only one of them based on where we live).

Chappaqua has three K-4 schools and 2 middle schools. The high school is one of the biggest in Westchester, outside of the citys. Our kids are still in the lower school, so I don't have any informed insight as to what the larger size will mean.

3) I assume the schools are both great - is there a significant difference in the percentage of Jewish kids per class? (and before anyone objects to the question, I have no issue with anyone of any religion, I just don't want my kids to be the only ones of anything, it just makes life easier).

Chappaqua's schools are "better regarded", but P-Ville's have a very good reputation and, if one had a preference for a smaller district, I imagine that would outweigh the small reputational difference.

It seems that maybe 1/3, maybe a little more, of our kid's classmates are Jewish, but that's a guess. I wouldn't be surprised if P"ville's percentage were about half that, which should be fine. It could be less, and at some point that might become an issue for you, but I'm sure you'll get better info on this from folks in the P-Ville system.

4) I read a lot that Pleasantville do not have school buses, does that make a big difference? - do kids in Chappaqua really wait around for the school bus to pick them up and drive around the town picking up others? or more realistically kids from both town just get driven to school by parent/caregiver)

We mostly use the bus, and I think a lot of folks do. You should be aware that there are some P'Ville-school homes, on our block at least, that do get bussed, because they are so far from The Pleasantville schools. They get picked up on our block, maybe at the door, by one of those mini-buses, while the Chappaqua busses require more of a walk.

5) The JCC in Pleasantville seems rather run down and more a school then anything - am I missing something? what is the community pool like? Does Chappaqua have one?

Don't know.

6) Is there a waiting list for train station parking in either town?

I was told there was no wait at Chappaqua, but I haven't applied. (We're walking distance, and some of the spots at the Chapp station are nearly as far from the track as our house.) I'd be surprised if there weren't a wait at P-Ville, but I don't know.

7) From a commuting standpoint the towns seem the same, 46min from GCS to Pvill, 49min to Cpq, same frequency.

Chappaqua has a few trains that run express from/to White Plains, i don't think P'Ville does. You'd have to catch these pretty regularly for them to balance out the 6 min a day you otherwise save with P'Ville.

8) Anyone from Chappaqua - would you recommend living on the east or west side of the train tracks? why?

The town services are to the east and, with the bridge work on Rt. 120 (over the Saw Mill), some folks have expressed concern about emergency services getting to the west side, especially in tough weather. I haven't heard that's caused problems, though, and the work seems to be wrapping up. The west side is a little more woodsy overall, but there's plenty of variety on each side as to lot size, style and the like.

Good luck with your search!

Old 11-17-2011, 05:05 PM

TAK8 - thank you so much, that's a lot of good insight. Would love to hear more about the differences and positive/negative experiences.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:38 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,438,597 times
We looked in both towns over the summer but ultimately decided to stay in lower Westchester. I was told by the clerk in PVille that they are almost finished building a new structure for parking - there was a waiting list for the existing lot, at least. Chappaqua does not have a wait list, however, in the case of PVille you have to be in the VILLAGE to get resident train parking, and in Chap you have to be in the town of New Castle (many homes there zoned for their schools are technically in Mt. Kisco or the town of Mt. Pleasant.

I've been told that PVille has a great town pool and for Chappaqua, you have to join a private club (which many do).

I ended up in a town with no bussing and oh what I would give for a bus on so many hectic mornings! Although if it were far from our doorstep it wouldn't be as helpful. However, I will say that on a positive note, no bussing fosters a nice community feel since you get to know other parents and the teachers by seeing each other at pick up/drop off every day.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:41 PM

258 posts, read 903,717 times
I live in Pleasantville but I think both towns are really nice.

Towns- Pleasantville's town has more but Chappaqua's town is really cute and they are very close.

Schools- I think both are great. Pleasantville has more special ed but I am not sure that Forrest Hills Dad is right that our tax dollars pay for it. I have heard that Pleasantville makes a lot of money off of our special services because other towns pay a lot to place their kids in the self contained classes. I am not sure if it is true but I read an article about it. We don't have buses and I hate it. I really wish we did. I know many people who love Pleasantville and didn't move here for the lack of busses.

Train- I know you have to live in the village to park and we had no wait for a train pass when we called in August (we ended up not needing it anyway) but there was no wait.

Town Pool- We joined the Pleasantville town pool and went everyday. It has a big kiddie pool and a regular pool. There are tons of lifeguards. There is a snack stand. We can also join the Mt Pleasant pool which I have heard is even nicer but more crowded.

I love Pleasantville. My neighbors are so nice. The kids all play out on the street. My neighbors bake us cookies and bring us vegetables from their garden. One of my neighbors plows my walkway everytime it snows! We have block parties and the moms on the block get together some nights. I am sure Chappaqua is also nice but I am not as familiar with it.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:47 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,553,429 times
I work with someone from Chappaqua and the only things I can ever remember her talking about is how big her house is and how smart her kids are. Thank goodness they moved her to another floor.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:46 PM

jjinla - Thanks! We're also having a hard time deciding between lower Westchester and Chappaqua/Pleasantville... I work in the city and would have to commute... in lower Westchester you can find a 30 min train ride.. but the lots are so much smaller.

lan3 - Thanks! Do you live in the village (ie, walking distance to the schools/train)? That area between B'way & the train seems compelling, but not a lot of inventory. It's great to hear that "The kids all play out on the street. My neighbors bake us cookies and bring us vegetables from their garden". I wonder if there is any part of Chappaqua that's like that.

ponytrekker - Thanks, I have someone like that at work too - but they live in Staten Island, so I'm not sure your colleague is unique to Chappaqua.

For Pleasantville - how huge of a difference is it to live in that area between B'way and the train vs elsewhere in Pleasantville?

For Chappaqua - is there any area in Chappaqua that is more walkable and sees more people outdoors (like the area mentioned above for Pleasantville).

Thanks all!

Old 11-18-2011, 09:06 AM

1,497 posts, read 4,438,597 times
We saw a bunch of houses within walking distance to the Chappaqua train that were more village-y, but the lots were then small. There was a nice area I recall seeing right across from Grafflin Elementary that seemed a little more suburban to us, too (it had an official name but I don't recall what it was).

Our neighborhood is also as Ian described it for PVille. FWIW, when our realtor was showing us houses in Chap during the summer and I asked where kids lived that played in the street she said 'nobody does that anymore...they all do playdates.' I don't know if that is fact or opinion, but I didn't see any kids there, and in my area they are all over. I think it also depends on the street you land on. We lucked out with a ton of young kids on our street, along with a big cul-de-sac, so it's more conducive to that happening. One set of kids goes out, everyone sees them, and the next thing you know, half the street is out and about. I don't know if that would happen as naturally if you were in an area with huge lots. Part of the reason that people choose to live on an acre + is because they DON'T want to be on top of their neighbors. I personally love being closer together, as long as you are surrounded by decent people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County