Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2013, 06:21 PM

32 posts, read 123,610 times

Advertisements

We are seriously considering a move to either the Scarsdale or Edgemont school districts. If our moving is largely motivated by the school systems, I think it behooves us to visit the schools. How does one go about doing this (other than just calling and asking for a tour)? Anyone done this and have any words of wisdom to share?

Anyone with children in these school systems who would like to share your thoughts on them, your responses are welcome as well!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 11:26 PM

6 posts, read 16,842 times
Default Update schools edgemont and scarsdale

Would also be interested in the responses to this post. We drove around scarsdale during summer and schools were closed so did not get a real feel for them or get to talk to teachers/ parents. Are there any real differences between the 5 elementary schools in Scarsdale ? Any preference between the 2 elementary schools in Edgemont. Unfortunately the Edgemont schools website is not accessible to get more info. on those schools.
Thanks.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:26 AM

12 posts, read 32,086 times
I can give a little insight into Scarsdale public schools. I had a fourth and seventh grader in the system until we were relocated for work. I can only describe our experience there as amazing. Scarsdale is a great town. Don't let outsiders feed you false information. You will find many friendly people there.

It is broken up into five neighborhoods with an elementary school feeding each. Each neighborhood has its own identity. Any of these elementary schools are fantastic from an education standpoint but you may feel one neighborhood suits you better than the others. Heathcote is where most of the huge estates are and has a reputation (unfounded or not) of being snooty. Edgewood has more "affordable" homes and is generally perceived as the most down to earth. The other neighborhoods are somewhere in between. I suggest renting for a year to see which is your best fit. By the time they get to Middle School the neighborhoods all mix together but the kids will still wear their elementary school t-shirts as a source of pride.

One of the great things about Scarsdale is the school district does not place much emphasis on standardized testing. They do not teach to the tests. Also, I have a son who needed an IEP. We had no trouble getting it for him. If you've ever had a special needs child you know what a nightmare it is to get the school to help.

I can't stress enough the quality of the teachers. Not only do most of them have masters degrees but they are highly motivated and work with all kids, not just the over-achievers.

My son was in the Middle School and I can't stress enough how great that school is. It is broken up into four houses (like Harry Potter). Each house runs a full curriculum. The year leading up to it is a series of pool parties and events that make the transition a big deal and a lot of fun for the kids. My middle school years were hell on earth but when I walk through the halls of SMS all I see is positive, upbeat and generally happy staff and students. My son loved it there, not to mention how much fun he had at the bar/bat mitzvahs.

By the way, Scarsdale has a large Jewish population. I'm not Jewish bit I (or my children) never felt out of place there. In fact, Scarsdale is very diverse internationally. There are people from all over the world who relocate there. I've met people from England, France, Belgium, the Netherlands and especially Japan. If you move there you are sure to meet others who are new in town.

If you have any other questions I check the boards periodically and I will be happy to answer them.

Old 09-03-2014, 04:41 PM

6 posts, read 16,842 times
What a wonderful insight, thanks so much smith6552!
It sounds like you and your children had a wonderful experience in Scarsdale and that is very reassuring as there are quite mixed reviews. We did like the neighborhoods we visited, Fox meadows and Greenacres, and also went past the high school but did not get a chance to see the other areas.

Now that I am doing more research from afar we came across Edgemont where they have K-6 elementary schools and a joint campus for middle/high, with a much smaller student population. This is the only major difference I seem to find between this school district and Scarsdale and is a valid consideration for us.

If you know of any other pros / cons between the two areas I would appreciate understanding the differences. I have read that Edgemont / Greenville is more affordable as far as housing is concerned. However, I am wondering if the Scarsdale facilities eg. Pools / library / school bus service etc...make the additional cost worthwhile or are the facilities in Edgemont / Greenburgh just as good?
Thanks

Old 09-05-2014, 11:56 AM

12 posts, read 32,086 times
Karibu,

You'll find both Fox Meadow and Greenacres to be nice neighborhoods with nice schools. I have no personal experience with Edgemont Schools. The reputation is that they're a little less competitive at the high school level. The main difference between the towns is that Edgemont is part of Greenburg so it uses their facilities/ public works and does not give one access to the Scarsdale pool. Greenburg is pretty big so if you like the chance of meeting someone you know at the pool, Scarsdale is the way to go there. You may get a little more for your money but Edgemont is hardly a bargain. Also, I find Scarsdale a little more walkable in general because it's layout is a little more level and more subdivided. Basically it comes down to personal preference. Both areas are wonderful if you can afford them.

Old 11-14-2014, 07:34 PM

3 posts, read 14,579 times
Default Smith6552 - question

Hi, we are thinking of moving to Scarsdale (I actually grew up there) and have a son who has an IEP. He has some mild social and language issues. Just curious the elementary school your kids attended and if your son in the MS was the one with the IEP? I'd love more info so feel free to PM me.

thanks!!

Old 11-16-2014, 06:41 PM

67 posts, read 166,606 times
Edgemont Schools Rank Best In Nation, Scarsdale Places Fifth

BY JOE JENKINS (The Daily Voice)

The Edgemont School district was ranked as the best public school system in the United States, according to Niche, an education website dedicated to providing rankings and statistics on school districts throughout the country. Scarsdale Union Free Schools was ranked the fifth best school system in the nation.

Niche compiled statistics for over 13,000 public schools with at least 100 students enrolled and graded them on a set of eight weighted factors including:
• Academics
• Health and safety
• Student culture and diversity
• Parent and student surveys
• Teachers' grade
• Resources and facilities
• Extracurriculars and activities
• Sports

Edgemont excelled in all eight categories, receiving an "A+" in academics, health and safety, teachers and extracurricular activities. The district did not receive a grade lower than "A."

Scarsdale received the top grade, "A+," in the academics and teachers' grade categories. It also received "As" in health and safety as well as resources and facilities. Scarsdale's lowest grades came in the student culture and diversity and sports categories, where the district received grades of "B" and "C+," respectively.

Westchester County boasted six other districts in the top 25: Rye City Schools (No. 8), Chappaqua Central Schools (No. 10), Blind Brook-Rye Union Free (No. 17), Bronxville Union Free (No. 20) and Rye Neck Union Free (No. 22).

Edgemont School District Named Best In America

BY KATY TURNER (Westchester New York - Dining, Shopping, Real Estate, Home, Weddings, Business)

Westchester County’s Edgemont Union Free School District, in Greenburgh, is the highest-ranked public-school system in America according to a new report by Niche, a K-12 school review site.

While Edgemont topped the list, the top 10 ranked school districts also included a few other local names. On the list behind Edgemont's first place were Scarsdale Union Free School District at five, Rye City School District at eight, and Chappaqua Central School District at 10.

A top-notch standing, according to Niche, “indicates that the district contains great schools with exceptional teachers, sufficient resources, and a diverse set of high-achieving students who rate their experiences very highly.” The deciding factors behind their 8,738 school district-wide analysis were a mix of statistical ratings, data, and millions of reviews from students and parents alike.

The 10 Best Public School Districts In The US

BY PETER JACOBS (Business Insider)

The Edgemont School District in Westchester County, New York has the best schools in the country, according to a new ranking from education review website Niche.

Niche rankings are based on a combination of user reviews and education statistics sourced from the government and public databases. According to Niche, “a high ranking indicates that the district contains great schools with exceptional teachers, sufficient resources, and a diverse set of high-achieving students who rate their experiences very highly.”

Student and alumni reviews also show a lot of school pride. As one recent alumnus writes at Niche, “The teachers at Edgemont are really above and beyond, for the most part. The newly revitalized administration is also working to keep the standards of schools high.”

Here are the top 10 school districts in the country, via Niche:
1. Edgemont School District — Edgemont, New York
2. Jericho Union Free School District — Jericho, New York
3. Tredyffrin/Easttown School District — Tredyffrin Township, Pennsylvania
4. Lower Merion School District — Montgomery County, Pennsylvania
5. Scarsdale Union Free School District — Scarsdale, New York
6. Great Neck School District — Great Neck, New York
7. Pittsford Central School District — Pittsford Town, NY
8. Rye City School District — Rye, New York
9. North Allegheny School District — Wexford, Pennsylvania
10. Chappaqua Central School District — Chappaqua, New York
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County