Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 11:44 AM

38 posts, read 92,613 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of moving to Westchester county, area near white plains. I work in uptown Manhattan (168th street). Anyone knows how bad the traffic is if I want to drive to work (regular hour, 9am-5pm). How long does it take?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 02:24 PM

20 posts, read 63,007 times
My husband did this commute every day for years. Now his office is on 125th street so he takes a slightly different route (he goes down 95 to the Bruckner and up the Deegan to 138th street exit).

He'd have to give himself an hour each way. If you take 95, the Cross Bronx will be bad every time. The Hutch/Saw Mill combo is sometimes better, but no way to predict it. I go there all the time to visit friends and family and without traffic the commute is about 30-35 min.

It's definitely doable and easier by car than train since the Metro North stations are far from 168th. Another concern would be parking in the Heights. He would park on the street but that would mean playing that whole alternate side shuffle game (and it would depend on whether our work place would even allow you to do that since it involved sitting in the car for a while each morning while he should have been working).

Old 12-01-2011, 02:29 PM

Forgot to take into account where you're coming from. We're in Port Chester, which is right off 95. But where you are you have more options. I once took the Bronx River down into the City and felt like I flew in. Not sure what that's like in the mornings or in bad weather. You may also be able to take the Deegan down and get off at Fordam Road and go local the rest of the way (sounds like a pain but you'll avoid the GWB traffic). You can go up Ft. George Hill and go down Wadsworth Avenue and that gets you to about 175th street. That's what we did for the 2 months I was a medical student there (long story).

Or you can take the aforementioned Hutch/Cross County/Saw Mill/Henry Hudson combo.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalcyonMama View Post
Forgot to take into account where you're coming from. We're in Port Chester, which is right off 95. But where you are you have more options. I once took the Bronx River down into the City and felt like I flew in. Not sure what that's like in the mornings or in bad weather. You may also be able to take the Deegan down and get off at Fordam Road and go local the rest of the way (sounds like a pain but you'll avoid the GWB traffic). You can go up Ft. George Hill and go down Wadsworth Avenue and that gets you to about 175th street. That's what we did for the 2 months I was a medical student there (long story).

Or you can take the aforementioned Hutch/Cross County/Saw Mill/Henry Hudson combo.
Thank you, HalcyonMama.
We are trying to decide where we want to settle down. I work in CU and try to shorten my commute to within 40-50 minutes (now is over 90mins, pain on the neck, with two young kids). Distancewise, most towns in southern Westchester is not far. I can apply for parking from CUMC or may park in some of the private parking lots if the waiting list for campus parking is too long.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:56 PM

413 posts, read 1,106,004 times
Coming home is not bad in that commute. If you can go to work at nonstandard times (e.g., not 9 am), you would be better off.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonny View Post
Coming home is not bad in that commute. If you can go to work at nonstandard times (e.g., not 9 am), you would be better off.
Thanks, what is considered as nonstandard times? get there before 8am?

Old 12-01-2011, 07:57 PM

Ditto, my husband actually switched his schedule to be 8-4 and his commute is a bit shorter. Closer to 45 minutes each way.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalcyonMama View Post
Ditto, my husband actually switched his schedule to be 8-4 and his commute is a bit shorter. Closer to 45 minutes each way.
Thanks for the information.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:27 AM

413 posts, read 1,106,004 times
From Pelham, I could make it in about a half an hour... when I would go at 5 am. At 9 am, I had to leave an hour for the drive.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:40 AM

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonny View Post
From Pelham, I could make it in about a half an hour... when I would go at 5 am. At 9 am, I had to leave an hour for the drive.
Leaving at 5am is way too early. From Pelham to 168 taks about 1/2 hour? It seems a long time, it does not seem that far distancewise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County