U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2011, 08:49 PM
sgu sgu started this thread

4 posts, read 6,721 times

Advertisements

Spouse and myself are looking to relocate to Westchester from Philly suburb. Mom may have job options in the city while I would be working in Armonk. We have two young ones - 4 and 1 year old. 4 year would go to school next year. I would like to minimize my wife's commute into the City at the same time live in a decent neighbourhood to raise kids. Based on the collective wisdom of the good folks who are members of this forum which village/town/city in Westchester would you suggest. Thanks for the inputs
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 08:52 PM

More info.. we are looking to rent initially, a 2 to 3 bedroom in the 2000-3000 range. Hope this makes it more clear ourbudget and economic situation

Old 12-06-2011, 09:04 PM

9,341 posts, read 28,298,475 times
What people refer to colloquially as "towns" are actually villages and hamlets, which are within actual towns; and, because villages and hamlets are referred to as "towns", then, many times, the error is compounded when actual towns are referred to as "townships".

Also, many colloquially refer to a "downtown business district" in a hamlet as a "village".

NYS Geographic Glossary may be of some help to you in understanding the geography of New York.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:28 AM

Thanks Walter for the education

Old 12-12-2011, 03:38 PM

17 posts, read 61,441 times
White Plains is a great bang for your buck. Your wife would have express trains available and you would be within close proximity to Armonk. This a city but outside of the downtown, it has a suburbia feel. I would also look into Eastchester - the northern side of Eastchester (Scarsdale PO) is walkable to Scardale train station as well as the southern side - walkable to the Crestwood train station.

I would also advise going to any of the rivertowns. The commute to Armonk across 287 could be painful at times.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:35 PM

374 posts, read 1,003,309 times
surprised such few people have chimed in on this.

I don't have any insights for you other than to say that if you are renting, white plains does not make as much sense to me as some of the other towns with better school systems. Rent avoids paying taxes, so why not rent in scarsdale (or similar) and give your kids the best education in the county?

Then again, I have little idea of how much rent is in scarsdale. I know you could probably rent a 1 bedroom withing walking distance of the train station for around 1500. Don't know about 2-3 bedroms prices.

Now if you were buying a place, then yeah white plains would make a lot of sense.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcity View Post
Rent avoids paying taxes ...
Huh?

When renting, you may not know exactly how much property tax is included in your monthly rent payment and you are not able to deduct this property tax when calculating your income tax, but it is fairly certain that the landlord is including property tax that he or she pays in the rent he or she is charging.

Old 12-13-2011, 01:47 PM

374 posts, read 1,003,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Huh?

When renting, you may not know exactly how much property tax is included in your monthly rent payment and you are not able to deduct this property tax when calculating your income tax, but it is fairly certain that the landlord is including property tax that he or she pays in the rent he or she is charging.
True, yet I still find similar rental prices between white plains and Scarsdale...when the property taxes are quite different. I don't have a lot of experience with this though, I could be wrong.
I always figured, the people who rent either have their mortgages paid or pay very little mortgage. So the rent is only the taxes + profit.

I've read about how in some cities it is more economic to rent than to buy. And in other cities it is the opposite.

Do you find that rental prices are much higher in the better school districts?

Old 12-13-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
I always figured, the people who rent either have their mortgages paid or pay very little mortgage. So the rent is only the taxes + profit.
Even if there is no mortgage, rent is more than taxes + profit. Money has to be set aside for repairs, etc., etc.

Quote:
I've read about how in some cities it is more economic to rent than to buy. And in other cities it is the opposite.
That tends to be a function of the supply-demand in a particular geogrpaphic area.

Quote:
Do you find that rental prices are much higher in the better school districts?
Just like housing prices, rental prices tend to be higher in better school districts.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:24 PM

581 posts, read 1,223,250 times
I agree, look in the high end towns in lower Westchester. You have a big rental budget. All towns are a easy commute to Armonk. (30 mins max)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County