Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2011, 04:08 PM

56 posts, read 130,915 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I'm hoping you can help me and my husband figure out where we should look around for rentals, & I'm sorry for this long post!

My husband and I are moving to Long Island in May and are going to live with my family for a few months, but after that we are going to look for our own place and as much as I love Long Island, there's no way we can afford a rental and the ones we can afford are in someones house and they generally want only one person.

I don't really know the Westchester area too well, I grew up on Long Island but never really went anywhere off the island until I moved to Florida.

Anyway, I want to still live no more than 4 hours away from the island but have cheaper living costs.

Since I'm not familiar with the area too much, I don't really know much about the towns inside Westchester county and would appreciate any recommendations on where to look.

My husband and I ideally would like to spend no more than $800 a month on housing however if it's not enough we will try for $900.00 a month.

We're both college students and want to transfer to a community college wherever we move, so it'd be nice to live near one.

For jobs, we both work at restaurants (we're only 21/22) so we would like to be nearby plenty of them.

I'm not sure if this is realistic, or if I should look more upstate or into New Jersey for what we want to spend per month.

Also, where we live we have a bunch of managed apartment complexes as opposed to an apartment in someones home like they have on Long Island. Is it the same thing in Westchester as it is on the island? We'd prefer to have a rental home (not shared with anyone) or an apartment complex.

Also, my husband is obsessed with fishing & wants to be near lakes if possible.

Thanks in advanced!

-Lisa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 04:45 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,458,495 times
Definitely look further upstate or CT. It costs as much to live here as in LI. if not more. And there is no lake I'd fish in anywhere nearby.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:01 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
Within four hours of Long Island, you have some options in the Hudson Valley. In particular, you may find something near New Paltz, but I would tend to look more to the villages and towns as opposed to the cities as there can be some quality of life issues in some of the Mid-Hudson Valley cities.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County