U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 09:56 AM

374 posts, read 1,001,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Halcyon - come on down to Rye Neck!
The Peruvian food in Port Chester is better, but its only a short drive on the I95.
recommend some good peruvian places in either town?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIVAMOMMY View Post
Thanks for all of your replies. I will take a closer look at Mamaroneck. and I will definitely go back and look at the break down of scores on the socio-economic level.

For NR, I was only considering Davis and Webster and then Leonard for Middle School. We will go private for HS. Does anyone have any insight into Leonard?

In terms of value for your money. (ie. space, yard space and taxes) How does NR, Mamaroneck and WP stack up?
I am curious to know why go private for high school? I would think that by the time your kid is in high school, he/she should be either a top performer or not. They also are not going to be listening to the parents at that age. There scores are all going to depend on how well they were taught in elementary/middle school. So if I was sending my kid to private, I'd send them early.

Unless a private school has better connections to help your kid get into better colleges? I never went to private so I am interested to know.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 10:02 AM

10,918 posts, read 29,639,489 times
In terms of taxes, the only significant savings you will find are in White Plains, because of the large commercial tax base in the city. New Rochelle's taxes are in line with other Westchester jurisdictions, as are Town of Mamaroneck taxes, both significantly higher for the same assessed value than White Plains.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 12-14-2011, 10:09 AM

1,496 posts, read 4,236,589 times
WP is the best value dollar-wise on homes and taxes, but not school wise IMO. The homes in NR zoned for Davis weren't cheap, relatively speaking. Many in NR go private at the middle school level, so my feeling is that Leonard is not as uniformly good, but it's also less uniformly a north end school (as the elementary schools are.)

But something to consider is that the larger urban districts will be the most severely impacted by the new tax cap, so there is no telling what NR and WP will look like in a few years. And I would echo that going from public to private mid-schooling is not easy. I went the reverse (private to public) in an excellent district, and was still bored out of my mind. It wasn't just that I had to take honors classes and such to stay motivated - it was that the style of learning was so different and much more geared towards regurgitation (even almost 2 decades earlier.)

There are plenty of affordable areas of Mamaroneck and Rye Neck, but since we lack the commercial base as the cities, taxes are higher though the schools are immensely better.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:21 AM

17 posts, read 54,567 times
Homes in NR zoned for Davis are anywhere between $275 - 330/ sq ft. What is it in Mamaroneck?

@jjinla, I'm interested your theory on why the tax cap disproportionately impacts urban districts given their larger commercial bases. Intuituvely I would expect larger districts are better able to spread fixed costs. That coupled with larger commercial bases should help them weather the tax cap better.

I'm not sure I would characterize Central and Mamaroneck elem schools as immensely better. Looking at those schools vs Davis doesn't draw me to that conclusion at all.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:12 PM

The tax cap. protects businesses, too...and they have more muscle than individuals to grieve taxes. And when they do, they dessimate the community - look what Pepsi did to Harrison. And when money is tight, parents in wealthy districts always seem to pick up the slack - not so in places where a large portion of the students are low-income.

Have you actually seen these $275 homes? In the north end of NR, $275 a sq. ft is a crap house or a crap location. You could be in the same in Mamroneck for $325 or less - $375+ for Larchmont

Old 12-14-2011, 04:07 PM

17 posts, read 54,567 times
Don't disagree with you that businesses will aggressively grieve prop taxes, but I don't imagine that wealthy folks in Scarsdale will be shy about protesting their prop taxes either. I would be surprised if lower income homeowners are the most aggressive in grieving their taxes, which would imply a greater assessment pool to tax. Just speculation though

The Municipal revenue streams are more than just property taxes though, especially for cities like WP and NR. For example, sales taxes revenue sharing with WP and NR is likely a larger contributor to their budgets. WP and NR also have greater commercial development and city owned enterprises to contribute to their budgets. I don't think one can jump to the conclusion that urban districts are in a worse position since there are more levers to pull for revenues.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:43 PM

I'm just speaking from what I experienced in CA, which also had a property tax cap (prop. 13). Schools in universally wealthy districts continued to do just fine, because regardless of what parents paid in property taxes, they gave heavily to in-school fundraising as throwing a few thousand at the school each year was still much cheaper than going private, which is what everyone else with any means whatsoever did in LAUSD schools (70%+ hispanic, so their parents did not have deep pockets). However, places like Massachusetts have tax caps, too, and their schools fared much better. CA is in crisis right now, which is really the main reason that we left. Their problems have far more to do with politics, mismanagement and class warfare than any tax cap, though.

Every article that I've read locally predicts that the urban districts will get killed. Sure, people in Scarsdale will grieve their taxes, but if you think for one second that they will let their schools go downhill as a result, you are nuts.

As for the schools being immensely better, I meant on the middle and HS level. Davis is probably as good as Mamaroneck Avenue and Central, but no way as good as the other two. Truly, the amount of personalized attention that they give just blows me away.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:10 AM

852 posts, read 2,306,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post

I'm sure that you'll love it here, Streetsmart. I found the atmosphere far preferable to Scarsdale personally, even though Scarsdale was more centrally located.
JJ - I know we'll love Mamaroneck! We have realized that we are just too laid back for Scarsdale. I have met some super nice people here, who don't fit the stereotype at all, but there are also the people who give the town a bad name and some weird things about this town that we find disturbing (e.g. the town is empty of children ALL SUMMER - kids go away to camp starting at around 7-8 years old, it's bizarre to walk around here in the summer). I will definitely miss our location, but living by the water is nice too!

Old 12-15-2011, 09:19 AM

852 posts, read 2,306,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post

As for the schools being immensely better, I meant on the middle and HS level. Davis is probably as good as Mamaroneck Avenue and Central, but no way as good as the other two. Truly, the amount of personalized attention that they give just blows me away.
What makes you think that Murray and Chatsworth give more personalized attention than Mam Ave and Central? How is that possible? And what specifically do you mean by "personalized attention"? Do you get that impression simply because more resources are spent dealing with ELLs at the latter 2 schools, or do you know for a fact that Murray and Chatsworth provide more services for the students?

Being that I'm a teacher I'm not overly concerned because I know that my kids are going to be learning what they need to know. Also, the whole of Orienta is zoned for Central and I can't imagine that those families would be okay with anything less than a stellar educational experience. I have met 2 former PTA presidents who rave about Central so I feel pretty good about sending my kids there, but I am curious as to what your comment meant.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:23 AM

Sorry, did not mean to scare you at all. That's what happens when you type too fast. I meant that as a whole, Mam. Ave & Central were at least as good as Davis, which is highly regarded by all that I know that have attended. I've not heard a bad thing about Davis. But both Mam. Ave & Central have a larger lower-income population than the other two, skewing the scores. Honestly I've never heard anyone complain about them either, except for some of my friends that feel distictly out of place in Mam. Ave as they have little in common with most of the moms there. I have a few friends that attend Central from Orienta and I've never heard a single complaint except for the drop off/pick up - it truly is just the perception of it being more diverse that plaugues those too, which is a real shame because the teachers and admins. are probably as good if not better there.

Individualized attention probably goes across the board. My son has an IEP, and the amount of support that he gets has been outstanding. I also see that in his class they do a great job of supporting the kids at different levels even in K. Communication is great, the principal knows everyone even though it's a large school, and they even pair the K kids up with a mentor in 5th grade to read with. There are a ton of enrichment activities, too. And for me, the plus was that they have high standards but it's not this big pressure cooker. The people really are more laid back as a whole here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County