Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2011, 06:15 AM

3 posts, read 19,176 times

Advertisements

Any opinions on CCNS or Presbyterian nursery schools in Rye from those of you that have direct experience sending your childen there? They both seem like great schools with similar philosophy making a decision even more difficult. I do believe its hard to truly know how great a school is until actually becoming a part of the school's community. Any input would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 04:16 PM

12 posts, read 71,378 times
I'm curious about the same comparison plus Resurrection? Have you found any information comparing the 3 schools?

Old 12-28-2011, 12:31 PM

20 posts, read 63,008 times
I considered all three for my daughter. That said, I started looking very late in the process (late Spring for that Fall - classes start to fill up the previous December) and so availability played a major role in my final decision. I toured all three and did like the grounds at Rye Presbyterian the best. The playgrounds were nicest and had easy access from the school. I ended up enrolling her there, first at their "playschool" and now she is in the official nursery school and we're both very happy with it. This year as a 3 year old I feel that she is learning a ton and growing up a lot as well. The teachers are extremely caring and offer creative activities. She has 2 teachers and her class has 13 students. At first it seemed like a lot but they do a lot of activities in smaller groups and when they do all get together on the rug they do all participate.

Resurrection's preschool is a Montessori program where the child stays in the same classroom for up to three years, so they have the 3 year olds with the Montessori kindergarteners (they also have a traditional Kindergarten program).

CCNS I know very little about other than what is on their site. By the time I called they were all filled up. I've heard only good things about them and apparently they focus a lot on art.

I believe all schools' programs are half day programs.

Anyway, I would definitely recommend RPNS.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:37 PM

20 posts, read 63,008 times
Oh I guess I should add that at RPNS the moms seem very involved. A lot of them seem to know each other and the kids go on playdates together. I am one of the few working parents, so I do feel a bit left out from that. But if you are looking to meet other mothers I think that there should be plenty of opportunity for that. When the weather is good parents and kids congregate in the yard out front and they also supply you with a directory of parents/students.

Old 12-29-2011, 03:40 PM

17 posts, read 64,593 times
RPNS is great. I love the director - Cherrie Flood. The reggio philosophy - learn thru play is terrific. The teachers have been great - tons with longevity- I'm there three years. The only negative is that its a "big pre-school". It might be overwhelming for some toddlers. The class size and ratio are standard 8::2 (2 year old) and 12:2 (3's), but when you have a hallway of classes it can be a lot.

RPNS has lunch bunch and a program with the Rye Nature Center so you can extend the day when your child reaches the 4 program.

One tip if your child is a fall/witner baby and you are contemplating the 5's - RPNS has a great 5 years old program. I dont belove Christ Church has one. Just RPNS and Synagogue.

Nevertheless, I hear wonderful things about Christ Church.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:12 AM

12 posts, read 71,378 times
Do you think all 3 fill up (even afternoons)? I'm just trying to figure out if we need to enroll before finding a home. It's a lot of $ to put down without knowing for sure we'll be in Rye.

BTW, any "word on the street" drawbacks of the Montessori prgm other than the mixed class? Is the school friendly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
View detailed profiles of: