Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2011, 10:51 PM

81 posts, read 245,876 times

Advertisements

We're moving in a few weeks and would like to get our son started in school asap. But we may not find a house right away, or temp housing within the school district's boundaries. Has anyone had this issue? Are schools pretty flexible about intention to move in? I'm imagining a scenerio where we might be stuck in corporate housing for 1-2 months till more comes on the market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 12:20 AM

3,921 posts, read 9,130,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazcat View Post
We're moving in a few weeks and would like to get our son started in school asap. But we may not find a house right away, or temp housing within the school district's boundaries. Has anyone had this issue? Are schools pretty flexible about intention to move in? I'm imagining a scenerio where we might be stuck in corporate housing for 1-2 months till more comes on the market.
Here in NYC, they generally zone kids by district, and there have been stories of people who move and then spend a month or so commuting across the city. I would imagine it would work the same way in Westchester.

The thing is that NYC is one big district with a bunch of smaller subdistricts (if I understand it correctly), but they'll probably be flexible. You can always contact the district itself.

Old 12-31-2011, 11:26 AM

Thanks checkmate. Yes, I intend to call them on Tuesday. Just wondered if anyone had any actual experiences...maybe I can sway them a bit.

Old 12-31-2011, 11:28 AM

11,299 posts, read 18,892,517 times
No it wouldn't work the same way in Westchester. Districts are much smaller here, and (especially in the richer and smaller suburbs) there is an extreme sensitivity about people from "poorer" areas and from the cities in this county trying to "sneak" their kids into the "better" schools without paying the non-resident fee (even in some small but more "urban" areas.....Mt. Vernon is sensitive about people in the Bronx sneaking their kids into the schools, especially in the "nicer" areas near Bronxville), so they probably would question the honesty of your request to begin with.

Also, since the districts are so small, how would a district know that you're actually going to end up living in it? NYC is over 300 sq miles and almost 20 miles in length and width (distance from Bronx-Yonkers line to Staten Island is more like 30+ miles), but most districts in Westchester are under 10 sq. miles and can be as little as a couple of miles in length and width.

What you likely can do is pay the "non-resident fee" (usually it's essentially your property taxes had you lived in the town.....keep in mind this fee will be at least $10,000 for the school year and likely more) and perhaps if you do move to the town before the school year ends they'll refund some part of it.

Best thing to do is ask the school district you want to enroll your child in about the matter.

Welcome and good luck!

Old 12-31-2011, 03:52 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,576,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazcat View Post
No. We bought a house, partially moved but commuted from our old house for two weeks while we waited for our paint and floors to dry.

School district gave us a hard time. We needed to provide a deed, etc.

Old 12-31-2011, 04:41 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,459,691 times
Yes, you can only enroll your kid into the district in the school where your temporary housing is. Then, if you choose a house in another district you'll have to switch again.

Old 12-31-2011, 05:42 PM

Thanks all. I guess that makes sense from the school district's perspective. Bummer for us. Hopefully we'll find something right away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County