U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2012, 06:14 PM

15 posts, read 57,569 times

Advertisements

We are moving from the UWS and have 2 small children. After seriously considering Chappaqua for while, then Montclair/Glen Ridge, and generally every other Westchester town, we have decided that as a family with two working parents, we prefer a shorter commute time. Our favorite towns in So. Westchester are Larchmont and Irvington.

We prefer the smaller class size of Irvington and appreciate that it seems more laid back, and more house can be had for the money, but we like the charm and convenience of Larchmont, coupled with a slightly more vibrant town and beach access. In Irvington we are probably looking at a 1970's split with plenty of space compared to a charming, small Tudor in Larchmont.

That said, we really like both and would love to hear from those who either faced a similar decision as well as those with opinions to share. I certainly would love to hear from those who think any of the attributes of these towns are overrated, or if I am missing anything that we must consider.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 07:23 PM

413 posts, read 1,052,000 times
You're looking at two really good choices. Go with your heart.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:46 PM

186 posts, read 466,041 times
I lived in Larchmont and loved the small town feeling, went to all the public schools with no issues. I still have many friends from Larchmont/Mamaroneck...
we all go back to Sal's, Walters, remember Cooks,
it was a great place to grow up

Old 01-04-2012, 08:22 AM

1,496 posts, read 4,241,999 times
I can't speak to why Larchmont as I'd be highly biased but I would point out that objectively, the train to Larchmont is much shorter and frequent.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:25 AM

413 posts, read 1,052,000 times
The one down side to Larchmont is that people seem to dress up to go to town, and you seem to get much better service if you're dressier there. In Pelham, you can look like a slob (yoga pants and a tee shirt) for shopping, and everyone is fine with that. My friends from Irvington don't seem compelled to dress up either. Wondering if it'll be a peer problem for the kids in middle and high school...

Old 01-04-2012, 11:06 AM

1,496 posts, read 4,241,999 times
"The one down side to Larchmont is that people seem to dress up to go to town, and you seem to get much better service if you're dressier there."

Service where? Nobody dresses up around here...that's Scarsdale and Bronxville, not Larchmont. One of the main reasons why I moved here is because nobody looks at me funny if I live in jeans and flip-flops, weather permitting. And honestly, a good number of people downtown on any given day have just walked from dropping off their (very young) kids at school or the NYSC, so they are all dressed down. Seriously, nobody cares what you are wearing in Larchmont...

Old 01-07-2012, 08:55 AM

1 posts, read 2,897 times
Local. News and more: Larchmont, Mamaroneck, New Rochelle and Lower Westchester County, NY should help you get the feel of Larchmont

Old 01-07-2012, 08:35 PM

81 posts, read 235,496 times
THANK YOU LOOP!!!! This online magazine is fabulous, esp for us newcomers. Now I'll have to spend the next 24 hours reading through the whole thing. Wish there were more comments on the articles - that's where you hear all the real dirt

Old 01-07-2012, 08:37 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,734,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazcat View Post
THANK YOU LOOP!!!! This online magazine is fabulous, esp for us newcomers. Now I'll have to spend the next 24 hours reading through the whole thing. Wish there were more comments on the articles - that's where you hear all the real dirt
better practice your "larchmont lockjaw"

Old 01-07-2012, 09:26 PM

81 posts, read 235,496 times
Wanted to clarify, when I say dirt, I mean I'm trying to get to know these places as best I can from afar - the good, the bad and the ugly. In my neck of the woods, there's Palo Alto Online and some articles get tons of comments where you can really get a feel for what's going on, especially re: schools.

12buttons, what do you mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County