Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 09:22 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,560,225 times

Advertisements

my cut off is no more than a 12-13 min walk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 11:11 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
According to the Metro-North parking website, there are permits available at Port Chester. You can check this link for parking information at MNRR stations: MNR Parking If it is a managed facility, by LAZ, you will have an indication as to whether or not there is permit availability, but with town-managed lots, you still have to call the town clerk or police department for information.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-13-2012, 07:06 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
Ok, let's see, I have not decided, but let's say I'm in the vicinity of playland park and I can literally walk to the shore without much of an effort.

I learned there's a bus which leaves for Rye station from the park, but the website says it runs only in the summer??

Does the beach get crazy with traffic and beach hooligans in the summer?

I am fantasizing with the idea of hanging out in seaside johnny's every damn night. How nice would that be? I hate seafood though. But they must be serving chicken? I can jog, literally walk to the shore and sleep there, pretty much like all my childhood. Ok, I'm wetting my pants

Old 01-14-2012, 11:30 AM

The bus only runs while the park is in operation, summer season only. Traffic can be higher because of Playland in certain areas of Rye, not to mention the beach, but you will not find the same atmosphere as you would at an Orchard Beach, for example.

Seaside Johnny's, every night?? Some nights you might want to head to other places, like the Rye Roadhouse, even if it is inland.

City-Data FAQs

Old 01-14-2012, 11:34 AM

1,497 posts, read 4,458,855 times
"Does the beach get crazy with traffic and beach hooligans in the summer?"

Have you ever been to Playland? For every 1 Westchester resident, there seem to be about 20 from the Bronx. Also, you have better like fireworks...a lot!

Old 01-14-2012, 08:22 PM

I was in Westchester all afternoon until about an hour ago. I scouted a lot around downtown Larchmont hanging out in restaurants and such. Larchmont's nice. The idea was to get a hang of the commute. It looks a little stretched to get to the station. Would have been nice if the bus were regular.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post
"Does the beach get crazy with traffic and beach hooligans in the summer?"

Have you ever been to Playland? For every 1 Westchester resident, there seem to be about 20 from the Bronx. Also, you have better like fireworks...a lot!
Exactly what I was afraid of hearing about

Landlord said the place gets really busy in the summer.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:52 PM

I don't find Rye that bad, in comparison, but when it's a public beach, unlike CT's beaches, there's no real control as to who visits. I know people who live within sight of Playland (and who have for years), and the main complaint is the traffic during summer.

Larchmont is very nice, and like Katonah, has banned chains from opening in the village, such that you will find an old-fashioned character in both places, though the commute from Katonah is about an hour to Larchmont's 30 minutes.

City-Data FAQs

Old 01-15-2012, 01:21 PM

There's some new development. My uncle called me this am and his younger daughter is looking at Fordham and SUNY among others to do her master's. She wants to work in the city and have a career. And she is looking to come live here.

He asked me if I can help her with picking a place for accommodation, for her arrival is certain. And I can hold this place in my name and have the uncle pay rent when she is here, which he has agreed to. I see immense opportunity where I can maintain two places and don't actually have to leave connecticut. The landlord and I are beginning to have very good rapport.

Would it be too much for a student to live in Rye and get to Fordham or something for classes?

Old 01-15-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
I don't find Rye that bad, in comparison, but when it's a public beach, unlike CT's beaches, there's no real control as to who visits. I know people who live within sight of Playland (and who have for years), and the main complaint is the traffic during summer.

Larchmont is very nice, and like Katonah, has banned chains from opening in the village, such that you will find an old-fashioned character in both places, though the commute from Katonah is about an hour to Larchmont's 30 minutes.
Glad you mentioned it. Something struck me as odd that the shops were unique and local. It was a breath of fresh air
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County