U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2012, 08:37 AM

13 posts, read 32,069 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of a decent, integrated high school in or around Hartsdale? From what I've been able to find on my own, there really aren't any. It's either 85%+ black/latino student population (Woodlands), or 80%+ white/asian (Maria Regina).

In my mind, 'integrated' doesn't mean 'mostly <insert race>', so I was wondering if there's anything around with a good, even mix of students.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 08:47 AM

63,334 posts, read 88,822,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamprey View Post
Does anyone know of a decent, integrated high school in or around Hartsdale? From what I've been able to find on my own, there really aren't any. It's either 85%+ black/latino student population (Woodlands), or 80%+ white/asian (Maria Regina).

In my mind, 'integrated' doesn't mean 'mostly <insert race>', so I was wondering if there's anything around with a good, even mix of students.
I think the closest thing would be in either New Rochelle or White Plains. Perhaps Yonkers, Elmsford, Ossining or maybe Peekskill. All are viewed in a varied and/or suspect light though.

I believe the next closest school district that is relatively balanced and that generally gets a favorable view is Nyack in Rockland County. http://www.greatschools.org/cgi-bin/...ct-profile/462

You can look at these websites: Search For Schools, Colleges and Libraries

New York schools - NY elementary, middle and high school information

New York schools - NY elementary, middle and high school information

Old 01-11-2012, 12:56 PM
bg7

7,697 posts, read 8,856,240 times
Good luck with finding that HS, racial quotas are illegal.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:38 PM

13 posts, read 32,069 times
Yeah... I went to a very integrated HS myself with a very even mix of races, and remember it as a great experience. I guess I'll just have to do the legwork and figure things out for myself. Too bad it's such a touchy subject, I'm bound to offend someone along the way haha

Old 01-24-2012, 05:36 PM

2,478 posts, read 5,738,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamprey View Post
Yeah... I went to a very integrated HS myself with a very even mix of races, and remember it as a great experience. I guess I'll just have to do the legwork and figure things out for myself. Too bad it's such a touchy subject, I'm bound to offend someone along the way haha
Maybe it's your choice of words. The flip side of 'integrated" is "segregated." As another poster noted, (racial) segregation is illegal. Westchester is, however, economically segregated but that's probably not what you mean either. The secret code I think you're looking for is "diversity."

Old 01-25-2012, 06:46 AM

9,761 posts, read 15,797,750 times
First off, Maria Regina is a Catholic parochial school that happens to be in Hartsdale. Students come from all over. When I was going to high school in Mt. Vernon in the mid 1980s, I remember my neighbors waiting for a bus to Maria Regina. It was an all-girls school back then, not so sure now.

Locally, I think the town that would most fit what you're looking for is actually Stamford, CT. They bus like crazy and are almost "anal" about their schools (all the way up to HS) having "racial balance" and they pretty much do. Some will say it is a "questionable" district, but they are comparing it to places like Greenwich, Rye and New Canaan and while that is somewhat true (at least from a "test scores" standpoint) it is certainly much "better" and different IMHO than Yonkers, Peekskill, or Mt. Vernon (again, at least from a "test scores" standpoint). Maybe go on the CT forum and ask about it. New Rochelle and White Plains are the closest I can think of in that regard in Westchester, but Stamford is even "more so". I do a lot of "educational consulting" work that makes me familiar with both New Rochelle and Stamford's districts, that's how I know some of this. Good luck!

Old 01-25-2012, 07:30 AM

1,488 posts, read 3,949,999 times
Come to think of it, I do recall when househunting in CT that they had this whacky racial quota thing. It stated something along the lines of, a school must mirror the racial makeup of the city in which it is located with a variance of no more than 15% (or less...don't recall specifics.)

The funny thing about that policy, though, was that Greenwich was repeatedly in violation of the policy. They needed more white kids. Bussing white kids...imagine that.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:21 AM

9,761 posts, read 15,797,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post
Come to think of it, I do recall when househunting in CT that they had this whacky racial quota thing. It stated something along the lines of, a school must mirror the racial makeup of the city in which it is located with a variance of no more than 15% (or less...don't recall specifics.)

The funny thing about that policy, though, was that Greenwich was repeatedly in violation of the policy. They needed more white kids. Bussing white kids...imagine that.
Actually I work with a few districts in Fairfield Co CT, the only ones I know that really really go big on this are Stamford and Norwalk and to a much lesser extent Danbury. Greenwich does it a little, but not much. The only other districts in the county for which this would be an issue at all in terms of having a minority school population that is above the low single-digit percents are the towns that directly border Bridgeport, that is Trumbull, Fairfield and Stratford; they do it about to the extent of Greenwich. Trumbull is very much like Greenwich in that regards (non-white kids are about 5-10% of the district, but schools are about 10-15% minority).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County