Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 09:53 AM

2 posts, read 5,269 times

Advertisements

I spent my first 14 years in Port Chester and the next 45 in Maryland. I've been vegetarian for 40 years and vegan for 30 years. When I visit Westchester, I always wonder why there aren't many more veg restaurants and natural foods supermarkets. Westchester is an affluent, progressive suburb of one of the veg friendliest cities on Earth. I am lucky that the DC suburbs of Maryland seem so far ahead of Westchester when it comes to veg food. Go vegan for health, ethics, and the environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 09:35 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,028,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellea01 View Post
I spent my first 14 years in Port Chester and the next 45 in Maryland. I've been vegetarian for 40 years and vegan for 30 years. When I visit Westchester, I always wonder why there aren't many more veg restaurants and natural foods supermarkets. Westchester is an affluent, progressive suburb of one of the veg friendliest cities on Earth. I am lucky that the DC suburbs of Maryland seem so far ahead of Westchester when it comes to veg food. Go vegan for health, ethics, and the environment.
Apparently the (dubious) benefits of veganism aren't as obvious to Westchester residents as they are in Maryland.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:28 AM

5 posts, read 12,601 times
[quote=kellea01;22566344]I spent my first 14 years in Port Chester and the next 45 in Maryland. I've been vegetarian for 40 years and vegan for 30 years. When I visit Westchester, I always wonder why there aren't many more veg restaurants and natural foods supermarkets. Westchester is an affluent, progressive suburb of one of the veg friendliest cities on Earth. I am lucky that the DC suburbs of Maryland seem so far ahead of Westchester when it comes to veg food. Go vegan for health, ethics, and the environment.[/QUOTE]

LOL....how many animals are killed every year to protect the potato and soybean crops? MILLIONS!!!! There's just as much blood on your hands than the rest of us that eat meat.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:23 PM

31 posts, read 135,592 times
I've often wondered the same thing. There was one vegetarian restaurant in the Port Chester area years ago that closed. Otherwise, I'm not aware of any vegetarian restaurants in all of Westchester. Mrs. Green's Natural Market is a wonderful natural foods chain with a few stores throughout Westchester and Putnam counties.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:59 AM

374 posts, read 1,058,442 times
In my opinion westchester isn't all that great for food overall. At least on the low budget side. For example I can't find a decent affordable BBQ place near me. Nor a good latin food place. Much better options in the city. There are many great expensive restaurants in westchester though.

I think vegans will have to wait a long time to get decent options as I have been waiting many years for more common food joints to appear. But since vegan is all about healthy eating, shouldn't you be making this stuff at home? There is no way a restaurant can be healthier than home.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcity View Post
For example I can't find a decent affordable BBQ place near me. Nor a good latin food place.
Port Chester and New Rochelle. Unless the operative word is "affordable." FWIW, there's a Dominican take out place in new Rochelle - El Sobor I think - that's dirt cheap and superb. It's a home-cooked trip straight to the DR. Service is appalling unless you speak Spanish. if you do it improves to merely unfriendly. But ohhhh, the food....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcity View Post
But since vegan is all about healthy eating, shouldn't you be making this stuff at home? There is no way a restaurant can be healthier than home.
Veganism is a belief system about ethics. Based on the vegans I've known it really has nothing to do with health - though of course health is always claimed as a benefit. It's well established that the widespread consumption of crops from monoculture agriculture occurred only in last 10,000 years - or less. All the health claims to the contrary therefore run counter to well established understanding of human dietary development. I love it when vegans dispute this by claiming to be "more evolved" or similar such nonsense.

Perhaps the "problem" with Westchesterites diets and restaurant support arises from the fact that Westchester is a little more grounded than, say, Marin County. Or Maryland. Who knew?

Old 02-16-2012, 08:32 PM

54 posts, read 155,554 times
I'm vegetarian, not vegan, and I wish there was a greater variety of vegetarian/vegan restaurants in Westchester. As it stands, you have to go into the city for a lovely vegan meal; it would be nice to be able to easily drive to one.

If you google "vegetarian restaurants" or "vegan restaurants" and Westchester, you'll get a few hits. There are also quite a few restaurants that offer a few vegetarian/vegan friendly dishes, but they're not solely vegan restaurants.

As for the other posters, why so much vitriol directed towards veganism?

Old 02-16-2012, 09:27 PM

157 posts, read 347,427 times
I don't want to discuss my views on veganism or vegetarianism, but I will say one thing:

Andy's in Rye... try it.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartsie View Post
Cause every vegan I've ever met has been judgmental and preachy about how ethically superior they were - and by implication (or directly) how unethical nonvegans were for such offenses as wearing leather or using honey (the poor bees!). They proselytize. And my chronically unhealthy vegan employees took more more sick time than everybody else combined despite their "superior" diet and lifestyle. Objecting to industrial slaughterhouses and tortured, cage-raised creatures is one thing. Objecting to honey because of bee enslavement is just flat out stupid.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:16 AM

374 posts, read 1,058,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Port Chester and New Rochelle. Unless the operative word is "affordable." FWIW, there's a Dominican take out place in new Rochelle - El Sobor I think - that's dirt cheap and superb. It's a home-cooked trip straight to the DR. Service is appalling unless you speak Spanish. if you do it improves to merely unfriendly. But ohhhh, the food....
Thanks, it's on my list now I know spanish, but I always speak English at places like that. My attitude is worse than theirs and it always makes them friendlier when they realize that

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartsie View Post
No criticism intended from my part. Just the misconception that vegan was about healthy eating. It just seems that eating from a restaurant on a regular basis isn't that great for you. Unless the OP meant eating out once or twice a year? But then, going to the city once or twice a year is not that bad.

So yeah, I know nothing about Vegans then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
View detailed profiles of: