U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2012, 08:13 PM

8 posts, read 28,248 times

Advertisements

This question is for a friend. He has a co-op in Westchester. He had bedbugs. He does not know where they came from. Last year he paid the exerminator, they did their thing and he has had no problem since.

However, on another unit, another person had bedbugs. Since they all new about the previous guy with the problem, they said "HE BROUGHT THEM IN". So the co-op board hired a bed bug sniffing dog to go unit to unit. When they got to his unit, they went into the bedroom and the dog FOUND ONE HIT, (whatever that meant). They found no bugs, but that was enough for them to hire a heating machine thing to come in and beam some light and he had to leave the unit for the day.

Well, the co-op just billed him over $6000. This guy does not have $6000. He is on disability.

He is afraid that they can evict him if he doesn't come up with the $6000. He has had no problems with any bedbugs since that first incidence. He does not know why the dog FOUND ONE HIT.

So what are his options? Can they actually evict him from his unit if he does not come up with the money?

Thanks much

Mel
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 09:16 AM

10,404 posts, read 16,706,950 times
One thing I do not like about co-ops (and as such am happy they are mainly a metro NY thing) is that there are many ways they can "legally discriminate" with legal recourse. I have to admit I live in one, but that's because it was the cheapest option available to me that didn't involve renting. For example, they could argue that his being on "disability" means he is financially unstable (i.e. even though he is paying the monthly bills, he has no cushion for a so-called "catastrophe" like this incident) and they need to get him out.

In this day and age, when many coops (at least in Westchester, different story in Manhattan) are harder to sell that they were 4 or 5 years ago, they may not be as quick to evict (for one thing his mortgage company will likely push having him stay in the apt. if he has a good payment history with them), but he still may want to check with a lawyer.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County