U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2012, 05:12 PM

6 posts, read 8,227 times

Advertisements

Hey there, so here is the deal. I am considering accepting a position in Yonkers which pays around 95k. I have a car, I am a 33 year old newly single gal with 2 cats. I currently live in CT but the commute is nuts.
Are there any safe, urban-ish (ie life going on outside your door, not being forced to drive 15 minutes to get to a grocery store) areas within say 30 minutes by car or public transport? Additionally, if I want a MINIMUM of 800 sq ft (cant go smaller with cats), in an updated building what am I looking at price wise?
I don't want to live on Ramen and Campbell's and I work very hard so I want to enjoy life... so is this job worth it or should I stay where I am?
Thoughts?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 07:10 PM

858 posts, read 2,325,305 times
I think White Plains fits the bill. City feel, stuff happening, and you can find any kind of apartment in a wide price range. Not too far from Yonkers. I'm sure others can give you more specifics...

Old 01-27-2012, 07:04 AM

94 posts, read 239,223 times
Default Check out the Fleetwood section of Mount Vernon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokketpop View Post
Hey there, so here is the deal. I am considering accepting a position in Yonkers which pays around 95k. I have a car, I am a 33 year old newly single gal with 2 cats. I currently live in CT but the commute is nuts.
Are there any safe, urban-ish (ie life going on outside your door, not being forced to drive 15 minutes to get to a grocery store) areas within say 30 minutes by car or public transport? Additionally, if I want a MINIMUM of 800 sq ft (cant go smaller with cats), in an updated building what am I looking at price wise?
I don't want to live on Ramen and Campbell's and I work very hard so I want to enjoy life... so is this job worth it or should I stay where I am?
Thoughts?

Plenty of options there in your price range, very nice area, super close to Yonkers.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:54 AM

10,819 posts, read 17,539,519 times
I was going to say Fleetwood first (for one thing it's really really close), then White Plains. I know a lot about Fleetwood (native for one thing) so PM me if you'd seriously consider there. Sad that the commute is nuts, I sometimes commute to Trumbull from southern Westchester (before the Hutch gets crowded in the morning) and can do it in about 40-45 minutes, but I know the other way around is super-crazy (I'm sometimes on the road as early as 6:15am as my job can sometimes be very early in the morning and I ALREADY see traffic the other way on 95 and the Merritt).

If for some reason you want to stay in CT, Stamford is a lot like what you describe, but commute to Yonkers while much better than Trumbull still not as good as WP.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:45 PM

6 posts, read 8,227 times
I've looked at White Plains and Stamford... and if I'm going to spend $2500 for a nice closet sized apt, I dont want to drive an hour to the city... I actually moved and live closer to Danbury, but the commute with traffic and god forbid rain/snow makes it impossible.
Any other ideas? I've never heard of fleetwood... I'll check it out.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:25 PM

148 posts, read 511,569 times
Rokketpop...Yonkers is a well cultured area with lots of rental opportunity to offer. Or, you can maybe look in Dobbs Ferry area along the Hudson line. It only takes me 30 mins. to get to Yonkers from Cortlandt Manor station.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:40 AM

374 posts, read 1,006,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokketpop View Post
I've looked at White Plains and Stamford... and if I'm going to spend $2500 for a nice closet sized apt, I dont want to drive an hour to the city... I actually moved and live closer to Danbury, but the commute with traffic and god forbid rain/snow makes it impossible.
Any other ideas? I've never heard of fleetwood... I'll check it out.
Confused about your posts. Why are you driving to the city? I thought you said it was in Yonkers. Also, the drive from White Plains to the City is not an hour. The express train is 36 minutes.

Like others have said, there are many options at your price range. I assume you have no kids, so you don't have to worry about the school system, so any lower Westchester town will fill the needs you mentioned.

It also seems you want more room than 800 square feet? I think you will notice that as you get closer to a metro north train station, the price per square foot will increase. So to get the most square footage for your money, I would look at apartment buildings far from a train station. And to get the best commute, look for an apartment building near I 87/287, which will be the best commute to Yonkers.

My recommendation would be White Plains. It offers a lot of city amenities and is a pretty safe place to live. The commute to yonkers is very reasonable and has several options, 287, sprain, and bronx river parkway. IF I were in your shoes, I would also consider Yonkers and New Rochelle, but safety would be a concern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County