U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2012, 07:01 AM

10 posts, read 32,462 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I am a bit confused as to where Pelham ends and Mt. Vernon begins. By Exit 9 on the Hutch (Wolfs Lane), there is a Target shopping center across from a field (I think it's Glover Field, but I might be wrong). Is this considered Pelham still? Or is this Mt. Vernon? Pelham Memorial High School is a few blocks up.

Can someone just explain where the border is? Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 08:44 AM

1,491 posts, read 4,159,259 times
The Target is in Mt. Vernon - but not the bad part of it (even though I almost always avoid that one in favor of White Plains as the clientele and staff are truly terrible). I think the border is somewhere near the Hutch on-ramp. What exactly are you trying to discern?

Old 02-01-2012, 08:54 AM

2,530 posts, read 6,248,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post
The Target is in Mt. Vernon - but not the bad part of it (
.....but keep going just a few blocks and you'll find yourself in places you probably don't want to be in. It goes downhill very fast.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:00 AM
Status: "Getting by in the age of corona" (set 21 days ago)

10,535 posts, read 16,909,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
.....but keep going just a few blocks and you'll find yourself in places you probably don't want to be in. It goes downhill very fast.
Exactly.....and until they built Target, etc. there it was considered part of the "bad part" of Mt. Vernon (there used to be an old and eventually abandoned Pepsi bottling plant on the Target site, and the other nearby stores were old decrepit stores and apt. houses.

As for the border, except for Glover Field, the border is the Hutch Parkway, so Glover Field (next door to Target) is in Pelham, but everything surrounding it *(including Target) except the parkway itself is in Mt. Vernon. The border juts out a tiny bit from the Hutch to cover Glover Field (in fact right next to it is another field called Hutch Field that is in Mt. Vernon)

Old 02-01-2012, 11:28 AM

10 posts, read 32,462 times
Okay, thanks. It sucks that the neighborhood goes downhill in just a few blocks. The library is in Mt. Vernon, but it is close to the Pelham border too, no?

Old 02-01-2012, 02:32 PM

2,530 posts, read 6,248,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRCR3 View Post
Okay, thanks. It sucks that the neighborhood goes downhill in just a few blocks. The library is in Mt. Vernon, but it is close to the Pelham border too, no?
Googlemaps.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:07 AM
Status: "Getting by in the age of corona" (set 21 days ago)

10,535 posts, read 16,909,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRCR3 View Post
No not near the Pelham border it's in a so-so area near the New Haven railroad tracks and while once the "jewel" of the county library system (I WORKED there after school in my late HS days of the mid 1980s), has a lot of budget problems and is somewhat run-down.

The Pelham library is right over the border from Target and I know that even a lot of people in the nearby to Target "questionable" areas of Mt. Vernon go to that library over the Mt. Vernon one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County