Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 08:45 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,683,069 times

Advertisements

So, according to some folks who appear to be geographically challenged, if I lived in the parts of the New York City Borough of the Bronx that had a "Yonkers, NY", "Pelham Manor, NY", etc. mailing address, I could then claim that I lived in Yonkers or Pelham Manor or etc., simply because that is the community whose name is in my mailing address?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 10:29 AM

293 posts, read 886,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
So, according to some folks who appear to be geographically challenged, if I lived in the parts of the New York City Borough of the Bronx that had a "Yonkers, NY", "Pelham Manor, NY", etc. mailing address, I could then claim that I lived in Yonkers or Pelham Manor or etc., simply because that is the community whose name is in my mailing address?
In a nutshell, yes. As I mentioned previously, my father grew up in Bronxville. His address was not in the village and he went to Yonkers schools. But he never referred to himself as growing up in Yonkers, even though I'm assuming that's where his parents paid their taxes.

Do you really think that my father should say "I grew up in a house with an address in Bronxville - but make no mistake, I didn't really live in Bronxville, I lived in Yonkers?" I'm not really sure why you're making such a big deal out of it.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehmom View Post
In a nutshell, yes. As I mentioned previously, my father grew up in Bronxville. His address was not in the village and he went to Yonkers schools. But he never referred to himself as growing up in Yonkers, even though I'm assuming that's where his parents paid their taxes.
From the limited information, your father lived in Yonkers ("Bronxville, NY 10708" mailing address).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehmom View Post
I'm not really sure why you're making such a big deal out of it.
It's extremely difficult to understand how we are governed and taxed without an understanding of correct geography.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:38 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,560,225 times
Larchmont existed long before later concepts of incorporation, and villages and hamlets existed long before NYS's poor attempt to rationalize the terms. People can say they come from Larchmont if they live where jjinla apparently lives, only pedants would come out with some ex cathedra pronouncement about the "validity" of that. No doubt you can also provide us with a long lists of official and invalid Scrabble words too.

Last edited by bg7; 02-02-2012 at 11:39 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-02-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
... villages and hamlets existed long before NYS's poor attempt to rationalize the terms.
It is my understanding that villages (municipal corporations) and hamlets (unincorporated areas) were well known in the 18th century.

The Village of Waterford in the Town of Waterford in Saratoga County was incorporated by individual legislative charter in 1794.

Most hamlets were the original borders of the Common School Districts.

NYS School Districts may be of some help to you in understanding the different school districts in New York State.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:34 PM
bg7

Oh yes, thank you, thats very helpful. Larchmont was incorporated in 1891 - you can add that to your spreadsheet - but apparently existed before it became a legal entity.

What a very useful resource for when someone says, "Where do you live?"
- just a minute I'll check up on my iPad as to the legally recognized boundaries for the purposes of apportioning taxes so that I can give you a valid response.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
What a very useful resource for when someone says, "Where do you live?"
- just a minute I'll check up on my iPad as to the legally recognized boundaries for the purposes of apportioning taxes so that I can give you a valid response.
Since neither city nor village nor even hamlet borders change very often, an informed person would not have to check their iPad or any other resource more than once in a decade, if that.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:52 PM
bg7

dude 1: "So where dy'a live"
dude 2: " I live in the small unincorporated area of the Town of Mamaroneck with a Larchmont 10538zipcode as per the 1995 legislative action"

Sounds like dialogue from 3rd Rock from the Sun

Old 02-02-2012, 01:10 PM

Correct answer would be, "I live in the part of the Hamlet of (insert name of hamlet) that has a Larchmont mailing address."

Old 02-02-2012, 01:15 PM
bg7

Good job you corrected me, it would be humiliating to get that wrong. One would appear uninformed, gauche perhaps.

Anway I've got to get back to updating the Wikipedia entry on "Anorak"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County