Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2012, 10:37 PM

9 posts, read 41,148 times

Advertisements

Okay, I'm going to give my thoughts here and they're going to be blunt: I grew up in Hawthorne and I've spent the last three years living out in New Jersey because my wife's job took us out there, but we're moving back to Westchester and are looking for someplace a)affordable and b)with decent schools since we've got a baby coming this spring.

We're considering White Plains, but I've spent enough time hanging around there in my own youth that I have concerns. I understand that there's a pretty diverse group of neighborhoods in White Plains, so whereabouts would be the best for someone who a)isn't so loaded they can afford the best of the best and b)isn't so poor they need to rent weekly on Ferris Ave?

Also, and this is the big one (and where the being blunt part comes in), I know there's a lot of poor/minority/criminal/otherwise undesireable types living in White Plains, so for those of you who are decent, middle class people who don't want their kids getting mugged at school every day because they're white, is White Plains a place where I'm going to find decent public schools and someplace I can expect minimal trouble from the bad kids from the families I mentioned above, or would I do better to look somewhere else if I don't want to worry about my kid getting victimized?

Hey, I said I was going to be blunt, but I'm not saying anything anyone else here doesn't think on their own anyway. I really don't want to come off as prejudiced or paranoid, but I spent a year going to school in Ossining and the black kids practically made screwing with me a sport, and I want to make sure that if I move to White Plains, my kid won't go through the same. Thoughts?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 09:22 AM

59 posts, read 178,179 times
I am coming out from Los Angeles to look at areas in Westchester this April, and my realtor has suggested White Plains. We have 2 small children as well. If anyone can lend their 2 cents it will be greatly appreciated. Not being from the area...I don't want to waste time if it isn't safe or a desirable area. As of now we are also focusing on Hastings, Dobbs Ferry, Tarrytown, Mt. Pleasant and Larchmont. Should I tell him we don't want to go into White Plains at all? Thanks.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:47 AM

222 posts, read 540,673 times
White Plains is beutiful, but some have issues with the schools. For me it's not too bad as I'm a little familar with the area but when push come to shove I probably wouldn't want to send kids there. Another thing is that it's school choice so everyone in you neighborhood can go to different schools. I like the idea of all of the kids in the neighborhood going to the same school.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:05 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,306,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereitsat42 View Post
Okay, I'm going to give my thoughts here and they're going to be blunt: I grew up in Hawthorne and I've spent the last three years living out in New Jersey because my wife's job took us out there, but we're moving back to Westchester and are looking for someplace a)affordable and b)with decent schools since we've got a baby coming this spring.

We're considering White Plains, but I've spent enough time hanging around there in my own youth that I have concerns. I understand that there's a pretty diverse group of neighborhoods in White Plains, so whereabouts would be the best for someone who a)isn't so loaded they can afford the best of the best and b)isn't so poor they need to rent weekly on Ferris Ave?

Also, and this is the big one (and where the being blunt part comes in), I know there's a lot of poor/minority/criminal/otherwise undesireable types living in White Plains, so for those of you who are decent, middle class people who don't want their kids getting mugged at school every day because they're white, is White Plains a place where I'm going to find decent public schools and someplace I can expect minimal trouble from the bad kids from the families I mentioned above, or would I do better to look somewhere else if I don't want to worry about my kid getting victimized?

Hey, I said I was going to be blunt, but I'm not saying anything anyone else here doesn't think on their own anyway. I really don't want to come off as prejudiced or paranoid, but I spent a year going to school in Ossining and the black kids practically made screwing with me a sport, and I want to make sure that if I move to White Plains, my kid won't go through the same. Thoughts?

haha, your post made me laugh. Seriously ANY kid will be just fine in White Plains schools. White Plains has probably the most diverse and balanced school district in the county. It does come off as a bit paranoid, you have some baggage that you need to leave behind now that your an adult.

To be honest there aren't a lot of criminal/hood types in WP. I know this as I lived in what was considered (and sometimes still is) the worst neighborhood/street in WP while growing up.

Since your familiar with WP, just drive through and look around. You know most buildings you actually have to go in and inquire about an apt. or otherwise.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:08 PM

354 posts, read 775,765 times
You should do a search around here for posts about White Plains. I posted my experience recently in a different thread here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/westc...te-plains.html

Old 02-06-2012, 01:23 PM

92 posts, read 359,443 times
thought this would help - a heat map of the crime rates in the different parts of White Plains. The darker the blue, the safer the area. Remember to take into consideration the more populous the area, the more crime there will be overall, hence the white in the downtown region.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 02-07-2012 at 06:18 AM..

Old 02-06-2012, 02:15 PM

66 posts, read 139,274 times
White Plains is a big city so you're going to have a mix of kids, good and bad. Same with New Rochelle and Yonkers to name a few larger districts. I can't speak for WP or any of the Yonkers high schools, but I know that NR high has had a lot of issues with violence (personally know people involved) but has excellent academics and turns out some top notch students. There are going to be issues in any district, whether it's big, small, "better", etc. I recently heard about an incident in Rye, where the crossing guard observed kids drinking in cars during lunch.

Maybe scheduling visits to the schools might be an idea. But things change in the schools. I went to NR high. Before and after I was there there were a lot of problems. While I was there I heard about a few problems, but nothing I'd call horrible. Also, middle schools can be tougher than high schools!

Old 02-06-2012, 04:24 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,306,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YanksRule View Post
thought this would help - a heat map of the crime rates in the different parts of White Plains. The darker the blue, the safer the area. Remember to take into consideration the more populous the area, the more crime there will be overall, hence the white in the downtown region.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
I would take that map with a grain of salt. It lists fairview as safe but there's region right in the middle that has some really bad QOL issues. It has improved in the last 10 years or so.

Last edited by Yac; 02-07-2012 at 06:18 AM..

Old 02-06-2012, 09:35 PM

92 posts, read 359,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordlife View Post
I would take that map with a grain of salt. It lists fairview as safe but there's region right in the middle that has some really bad QOL issues. It has improved in the last 10 years or so.
Yeah, the best thing I found is to combine the Crime Rate map with the other two maps, Public Schools and Home Appreciation Rates to get the best overall neighborhoods. While Fairview has good crime rates, you can see it scored really low in the latter two maps. It's not perfect, but it's a good guide and starting point.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:19 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,845,984 times
That map is wrong , Fairview isn't a part of White Plains , the Map also has North White Plains overlapping Valhalla and Elmsford is a completely separate town...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County