Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 02:21 AM

581 posts, read 1,303,756 times

Advertisements

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/12/re...ref=realestate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 10:03 AM

6 posts, read 27,466 times
Though I have a lot of sympathy for sellers, a very heartening article for those of us at the low end of the market.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:57 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,866,342 times
How much would it cost to make that $500K Scarsdale house livable? Another $200K?

Old 02-14-2012, 12:34 PM

293 posts, read 886,579 times
Hard to tell from the info they give you, but my guess is you probably don't need 200K to make it immediately livable. But you would need to put some good money in up front, like cleaning gutters, possibly new roof, definitely sand and finish or carpet floors and paint the entire inside. You might need to update the electrical in some way. Chances are if the gutters are as described, the owners hasn't been doing much to care for the outside, so tree work is the big ticket item. And general yard work if you don't want to be the trashy neighbor on the block. All in 50k? More?

Then depending on how long you can live with it, you have kitchen and 1 Bath, 3 half baths to do - maybe 75 - 100k if you keep things simple...

It's articles like this that make me feel so much better about having been a renter this past decade and missing out on the housing boom.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:51 PM

168 posts, read 417,415 times
Since median income in Scarsdale is $190k or so, median house should go for $570K or so. Prices are still in a bubble territory and should go down considerably. Rates might be low but property taxes, commuting costs, after-school fees, etc are all sky high. 500K should buy you a modest house in the town without the need of further improvements. Wait it out as re is depreciating in the region.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:44 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,866,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehmom View Post
Then depending on how long you can live with it, you have kitchen and 1 Bath, 3 half baths to do - maybe 75 - 100k if you keep things simple...
That's what I thought. And if they had to remodel the kitchen and update the bathrooms, that might cost another $75K which brings it back to the $700K listing.

Old 02-14-2012, 03:12 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
"Since median income in Scarsdale is $190k or so, median house should go for $570K or so"

How so? Median income includes those who chose to buy and those who chose to rent. If you want to tie median house price to median income, you need to look at the median income of homebuyers, not the median income period.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:38 PM

168 posts, read 417,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
"Since median income in Scarsdale is $190k or so, median house should go for $570K or so"

How so? Median income includes those who chose to buy and those who chose to rent. If you want to tie median house price to median income, you need to look at the median income of homebuyers, not the median income period.

This is so: people who replace the ones in these areas have the same income unless you can make the case that a higher income class of people is moving in. Unfortunately, incomes remain stagnant, and if anything there are more areas around and in the city where people with higher incomes can go.

This is the definition of bubble. People with similar income bought with higher prices and/or assumed higher mortgages and/or bought lesser houses, thinking that they are being priced out and/or real estate will always go up.

Proof: prices are going down as the article reports.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:41 PM

866 posts, read 2,485,536 times
Hmmm, as someone who recently bought a house in Mamaroneck and is about to list a house for sale in Scarsdale, I have to tell you that you are living in a dream land. The market in these 2 towns is on fire, with houses getting snapped up in days and going for near or over the ask in bidding wars. We are expecting to get a fair bit more for our house than we paid for it 3 years ago (based on comps in the area), and I can tell you that the prices people are paying for houses I wouldn't dream of living in (okay, call me a snob...) are astronomical, and frankly ridiculous. And yet they are getting bought.

Now, I'm talking about the market in the 1.5-3 million range, so maybe the market at the lower end is not doing as well. I can't say for sure. But I do know that you need to stop trying to make sense of the numbers and pay attention to what is actually happening out there.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:21 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,459,691 times
I'm sure I will come across as a snob, too, but we saw homes in the $750K-$1M range in Scarsdale that literally resembled crack dens. Or shoeboxes. I cannot imagine what a $500K house would look like! We got in under our top number but even then we still had a fair amount of cosmetic work to do.

At best, you are looking at a tiny house on a very busy street that has never had one bit of work done to it since the original owners (that likely died in the den) bought it in 1925. I hope you are handy.

As for the sky is falling argument, it's still wrong, but frankly not worth arguing anymore. I'll agree to disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County