U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 07:27 AM

77 posts, read 189,870 times

Advertisements

considering moving to westchester and commuting to columbia presbyterian medical center in washington heights. We have two kids 2 & 5.

We are trying to figure out where to live and would like some help.

Our priorities are:

1. quality of schools
2. commuting time
3. don't want it to be too suburban
4. some diversity would be nice
5. homes with some character (ie not split levels).

we were thinking of Hastings, Larchmont, Bronxville... any others?

thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 08:06 AM

10,918 posts, read 29,507,875 times
Do you have a budget in mind, and what means would you prefer for the commute? Driving or train? If you are looking to take Matro-North, for example, you should be looking on the Hudson Line as it stops at Marble Hill for connection to the subway to get to Upper Manhattan. On your list, Bronxville is perhaps one of the least diverse, and among the more expensive, villages in Westchester. The caveat when looking at Bronxville is that the school district is for properties within the village borders, yet the zip code extends into neighboring areas that do not have use of the school district. You may also look at Pelham if you plan to drive to Columbia, and Dobbs Ferry if you want to take the train.

Regarding not being too suburban, that's not Westchester as the county is largely suburban/exurban, save for White Plains, parts of Yonkers, parts of Mount Vernon, parts of New Rochelle, etc. Pelham, Bronxville, and Larchmont, in particular, are quintessential first suburbs, with small downtown areas that link communities.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 02-18-2012, 03:47 PM

2,553 posts, read 6,403,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skraj011 View Post
3. don't want it to be too suburban
In which direction? On the more urban side (more city-like) or more rural feeling?

Old 02-18-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
In which direction? On the more urban side (more city-like) or more rural feeling?
either. we like both urban and rural.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Do you have a budget in mind, and what means would you prefer for the commute? Driving or train? If you are looking to take Matro-North, for example, you should be looking on the Hudson Line as it stops at Marble Hill for connection to the subway to get to Upper Manhattan. On your list, Bronxville is perhaps one of the least diverse, and among the more expensive, villages in Westchester. The caveat when looking at Bronxville is that the school district is for properties within the village borders, yet the zip code extends into neighboring areas that do not have use of the school district. You may also look at Pelham if you plan to drive to Columbia, and Dobbs Ferry if you want to take the train.

Regarding not being too suburban, that's not Westchester as the county is largely suburban/exurban, save for White Plains, parts of Yonkers, parts of Mount Vernon, parts of New Rochelle, etc. Pelham, Bronxville, and Larchmont, in particular, are quintessential first suburbs, with small downtown areas that link communities.
thanks for the info. we'll be driving into washinton heights. how are the schools in pelham?

Old 02-18-2012, 07:24 PM

10,918 posts, read 29,507,875 times
Pelham has a good school district, shared in the town between Pelham and Pelham Manor. The Cross County Parkway to the Henry Hudson makes for an easier commute to Columbia.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 02-20-2012, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Pelham has a good school district, shared in the town between Pelham and Pelham Manor. The Cross County Parkway to the Henry Hudson makes for an easier commute to Columbia.
Do you mean easier than commuting from Larchmont?

Old 02-20-2012, 08:19 AM

258 posts, read 864,234 times
I would look at towns along the Saw Mill rather than the towns that are East such as Larchmont. I pass the Columbia exit everyday on my way to work (Harlem). The Saw Mill into the Henry Hudson is so easy and has very little traffic. It is much less of headache than commuting from the Deegan or I95. I would look at Hastings on Hudson, Irvington, Ardsley or Dobbs Ferry for a nice commute. I live in Pleasantville, from my house to work in West Harlem takes me 40 minutes. It would take you about the same or a bit less depending on what time you commute. The mileage may be better from Larchmont or pelham but the commute will be worse.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:27 PM

293 posts, read 833,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lan3 View Post
I would look at towns along the Saw Mill rather than the towns that are East such as Larchmont.
I would agree - avoid being so far east that you have to make heavy use of the major east-west connectors (95, cross county parkway, 287). The rivertowns would work - Hastings, Dobbs, Irvington. Bronxville is a nice short commute, but about as low on the diversity scale as you can go. I would put Scarsdale on your list. Edgemont and Ardsley have their fair share of split levels but there are also some homes with character - may be too suburban for you (if your definition of suburban means no real town center). But good commute, great schools.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lan3 View Post
I would look at towns along the Saw Mill rather than the towns that are East such as Larchmont. I pass the Columbia exit everyday on my way to work (Harlem). The Saw Mill into the Henry Hudson is so easy and has very little traffic. It is much less of headache than commuting from the Deegan or I95. I would look at Hastings on Hudson, Irvington, Ardsley or Dobbs Ferry for a nice commute. I live in Pleasantville, from my house to work in West Harlem takes me 40 minutes. It would take you about the same or a bit less depending on what time you commute. The mileage may be better from Larchmont or pelham but the commute will be worse.
thanks a lot for the great info. How do you like Pleasantville? It is a town we were considering. what do you think the commute time would be from there to columbia? Our general times would be 6-8am in and 5-7 going back up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County