Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 01:54 PM

66 posts, read 139,274 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of moving to S. Salem/Goldens Bridge or possibly Ridgefield or Redding CT (I will also post the CT ? on CT board). Anyone familiar with these areas I welcome your input. School is important (what else is new) but we aren't looking for a McMansion. We might rent for a year, and then buy. A small house, or a townhouse would suit us fine. Don't want to go up too far, if possible, but we have looked in Yorktown, Mahopac, Mohegan Lake, Cortlandt Manor.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 02:13 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,861,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCGMOM View Post
A small house, or a townhouse would suit us fine.
Why not look further south/rivertowns if your target is a townhouse/small house? You might not be getting the most of what the north has to offer without the big lots.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:10 PM

86 posts, read 388,634 times
I am very familiar with Goldens Bridge, South Salem and Ridgefield, but not familiar with Redding. I can answer any specific questions you have, not sure exactly what you'd like to know? Ridgefield is absolutely beautiful and I couldn't think of a nicer place to live if you don't need to commute to the city..great schools, beautiful quaint town, amazing recreation, really nice people. Goldens Bridge and South Salem are very unique (also North Salem) for Westchester in that they are very isolated, not diverse (racially or income level), and a very laid back feeling. We moved up here from mid westchester 10 years ago and every time I visit family down there I am so happy we moved up here. But it is not right for everyone. A lot of driving around dark country roads to get from point A to point B. You really cannot compare it to any other town in Westchester. I'm not a realtor but I am familiar with all the neighborhoods. Like I said, if you have specific questions, I'd be happy to answer.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:33 AM

71 posts, read 229,275 times
My husband grew up in Ridegefield, and although his parents no longer live there, we go back often.
It is a gorgeous town, and the schools are great. The downtown is beautiful; with old houses, stores and restaurants that line the street. If we both didn't work in Manhattan, we would definitely choose to live there. It is not cheap though, but there are a few condo complexes right in town. I know a few years ago, the rent for a 2 bedroom 2 bath was about $2,300. Not sure what they are going for today.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:23 AM

414 posts, read 302,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCGMOM View Post
We are thinking of moving to S. Salem/Goldens Bridge or possibly Ridgefield or Redding CT (I will also post the CT ? on CT board). Anyone familiar with these areas I welcome your input. School is important (what else is new) but we aren't looking for a McMansion. We might rent for a year, and then buy. A small house, or a townhouse would suit us fine. Don't want to go up too far, if possible, but we have looked in Yorktown, Mahopac, Mohegan Lake, Cortlandt Manor.

Thanks!
All depends on where you commute from, and how much it matters to you.

I grew up in that area (my username should give you an idea where), and it is great. Many of my friends have moved back to raise kids. North/South Salem are very nice and quiet, with friendly people and a small town feel. I don;t think Golden's Bridge woul be much different.

Ridgefield is really a great town, but it is a little more out of the way....

All the places you mentioned are great places, with nice people and good schools. Youc can't go wrong.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:57 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,390,804 times
The main issue with Redding and Ridgefield is the commute, should you need to go to Manhattan via trian during normal hours. Redding is on a branch line, but the trip is close to two hours as you have to transfer to the New Haven Line at South Norwalk. The HART bus also connects with the Harlem Line through Ridgefield, South Salem, and Katonah; and, there is also shuttle service to Brewster from Danbury, and New Fairfield to Southeast. It all depends upon the ease with which you could get a non-resident permit at Goldens Bridge, or points north, since Katonah is incredibly difficult in which to secure non-resident parking. There are some meters at Katonah, but that might not be a viable option, depending upon the train that you may need.

Redding does have attractively-priced homes and an excellent school district, so it might not be a bad fit, depending upon the commute. Similar homes in Katonah, for example, would sell for a hefty price premium over Redding, not to mention the lower Connecticut real estate taxes. However, Katonah, Goldens Bridge, and the Salems do offer a bit more in the way of ease of access to Manhattan and White Plains. Redding would be about a 40-minute drive from Katonah, and about 35 minutes from Fairfield, but if you don't mind the drive, it's an excellent area to consider.

I agree that you cannot really go wrong with any of the areas you are considering. Have you looked at Katonah? You will find it to be slightly more expensive, but there are some smaller homes that are within walking distance of the train station, though not many multi-family rentals or attached housing. You would, however, be able to get a Bedford parking permit for the train station, and/or be able to walk to the station, which would make for an easier Manhattan-bound commute via train.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 02-10-2012, 05:52 PM

Many thanks to all of you for the info. My husband would commute to lower Westchester and I am a domestic engineer and/or goddess (depending on the type of day I am having!). We are interested in the Katonah-Lewisboro school system as a first choice and know that some of the towns affiliated with it are pricey and some are affordable and we want affordable, of course. Going to start driving around the areas we're interested in to get an idea of how rural it is and how rural we want. We're in S. Westchester-its far from rural, but it isn't what it used to be. CT has that low tax appeal. I checked out a R/E site that showed a house in Westport with taxes of 2500.00. Amazing.

@rscap-thanks for the offer to assist with questions. I will take you up on it!

I have always wanted a townhouse. Seems like you can get a lot of space in some of them. I know there are some in Goldens Bridge and I think in S. Salem also so if anyone has an opinion I'd love to hear what you know. Haven't looked into CT townhouses yet.

Our main objective is to give our daughter a good education and be in an area that has good recreation (town pool, day camp, sports) and possibly find a neighborhood full of kids.

Thanks again-keep that info coming!

Old 02-17-2012, 10:26 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,455,171 times
I can never figure out why anyone would love to Golden's Bridge or South Salem over Ridgefield...the tax difference alone is enough to make you pass out, and the housing prices are pretty consistent amongst the three towns. I personally love South Salem, Golden's Bridge etc and whole area, however it is a significant tax burden to live there, rather than just a few miles down the street to Ridgefield.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:47 PM

Yes, taxes are a major consideration. We have friends whose tax bill is over $70,000.00 a year. However, I have looked at some properties that aren't too bad. Checked out Ridgefield and some of the properties had taxes close to what I looked at in Goldens Bridge and South Salem and some were lower. Not ruling anything out at this point. We'll be starting our search this weekend.

We may just rent for a year, depending on what we view in the coming weeks. I tried to speak to someone who has a house for rent in Katonah, but 3 phone calls later I haven't heard back so I am going to forget about it.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:56 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,160,393 times
I live in the Lake Katonah area which is just a couple miles from Goldens Bridge. We don't have any town houses here but it's a great family neighborhood with great schools. I'm not sure what your budget is - but I can't say enough good things about this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County