Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2012, 11:48 AM

15 posts, read 46,752 times

Advertisements

After a long search, we've pretty much decided on the Larchmont/Mamaroneck area and I'm wondering about timing for preschool applications and so on. Is this a good time to apply? Am I too late? We've been waiting a bit because we are only just starting the house hunting process and are not exactly sure where we will end up but now I'm concerned we might miss the boat!
Also any suggestions of preschools would be great. I know there is LAC, Discovering Me and the Montessori in Mamaroneck but if any of you have any personal feedback on those schools or other ones to recommend I would appreciate it.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 03:05 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,460,547 times
LAC is great - many families that go there end up at Chatsworth, so you and your child will see lots of familiar faces for K. Are you talking about September '12 spots, though? If so, I know they've already done their lottery there so at least in the 4 yo class, all of the AM spots are taken.

Discovering Me appeals more to parents that need FT care. Many I know are happy there, too, it just felt too claustrophobic for me. There is also St. John's, Mamaroneck Co-Op, etc. Really it depends on where you land, but you could end up driving 10 minutes each way if you, say, lived near Mam. Ave school but attended Discovering Me.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:33 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,566,007 times
I can vouch for Mamaroneck Community Nursery, our experience has been great. We looked around all the schools and applied a little late - but you may be able to wrangle a mixed full day - half day week to cover the 5 days. I've never heard anything negative about the other places you mention, I think you'll be fine with any of them.

There's also a bohemian wacky place out in Saxon Woods (S W Country School I think) which usually has open spots - its not cookie cutter enough for most tastes though.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:33 AM

8 posts, read 48,724 times
My advice to you is apply as soon as humanly possible. Nursery schools in the area are extremely competitive. I went to LAC and also interned there while in high school, and it is a fantastic program. You won't find more caring teachers anywhere in my opinion.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:07 PM

66 posts, read 139,372 times
Don't go to Saxon Woods Country School. It is way past wacky. Let me know if you need more info why, via DM. LAC is great, Mam'k co-op has a good rep also. Discovering Me is popular but the kids need to go across the street to the park, and the parking is a pain. The Montessori has a good rep and there is another in New Rochelle on Quaker Ridge Road.

There is one other option, but it won't work if you are Jewish, and that is Sts. John & Paul school, which might have a Pre-K program, but for 4 year olds, I believe-didn't know what age your child is. If they do you'd have the option of 1/2 or full day. If you are Jewish Larchmont temple has a program, as does JCC, which is at the corner of Palmer and Rockland, in Mamaroneck.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:41 AM

15 posts, read 46,752 times
Thank you all so much for your advice. A lot of you mentioned LAC but at the moment they only have afternoon spots. Have any of you had experience with afternoon sessions for preschool? My son has been in the morning this year and for his 2's program as well. He should be done by naps by the fall but do you feel the children get as much out of it? Also jjinla you mentioned that LAC is good if your child ends up going to Chatsworth. What about Murray Ave school? We're looking in both the Chatsworth and Murray areas and I'm curious if the different areas tend to go to one or other of the preschools.
Thanks again everyone!!

Old 02-28-2012, 07:45 AM

I used to drive past Saxon Woods every day and it just looked dirty - they always had a ton of filthy old toys stacked in the back and a pool that was begging to attract mosquitos or god only knows what else. Does SJP havc a pre-K program? I know St. John's in the Manor does for sure. There is also Little Flower right near Mam Co-Op. The JCC is in Scarsdale, not Larchmont, just to clarify.

As others have said, you can't go wrong with LAC. This is our 4th school and the staff are so loving, great structure and communication, ratios, etc. It isn't particularly fancy or highly academic, but I don't think that a preschool should be. The Co-op is also great, but it was across town for me, and I didn't have time to be in the class once a month or so, as required (although you can buy your way out of that.)

My 3yo is in the afternoon at LAC and although I initially hated it, I actually love it because it is a much smaller bunch so they get more 1:1. It was hard in the beginning, but she was starting to give up her naps for the most part anyway. A ton of Murray and Central parents are there...it's especially the school of choice for Chatsworth parents it seems since it's literally right there.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:54 AM

66 posts, read 139,372 times
Yes, the JCC is in Scarsdale. I don't recall the name of the one at Palmer and Rockland at this moment-maybe Westchester Jewish?

The kids used to wear something that resembled a uniform at Little Flower. Don't know the details about it or if they still do.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:02 PM

WJC - really popular school, but a fortune from what I recall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County