Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2012, 08:39 PM

3 posts, read 21,563 times

Advertisements

My family and I are about to purchase a house in Larchmont (PO, not Village), but have heard there is no overnight parking on the streets. We have a very small garage and driveway and, with 2 cars, there will be no space for our overnight guests to park. Does anybody know what our options are? I read that there are some streets that are exempt to the overnight parking rule - does anybody know which streets this are? Can we obtain a temporary permit for the overnight parking or do we have to buy a year's worth just so our guests can park for a week? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 04:36 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,438,268 times
I would call the police and ask. I believe that there are lots that you have to pay for with overnight parking.

I'm in a remote street in Larchmont PO and we can't overnight park. I actually like the policy, having previously lived next to a neighbor with 4 cars for 2 people, but I do realize that if you have a short driveway it can be an issue.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:36 AM

8 posts, read 48,602 times
Hi, and welcome to Larchmont! When you have overnight guests, you must go to the police station and obtain a temporary parking pass to be displayed on the person's car. They are free as long as the guest isn't staying too long.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:44 AM

Thank you for the responses! Does the temporary pass allow guests to park anywhere overnight or just the lots by the train station?

Old 02-27-2012, 10:00 AM

8 posts, read 48,602 times
Your guests must park on the street directly in front of your house. (You must have permits in order to park in the lots by the train station). And let me clarify something... if your guests arrive during the day, (during business hours) go to the village clerk's office to get the temporary pass, if they arrive at night, then go to the police department. If you have any questions call my uncle Brian at the Village Clerk's office 914-834-6230.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:04 AM

You're the best! Thank you! Definitely puts my mind at ease that my guests will have that option!

Old 02-27-2012, 07:49 PM

287 posts, read 591,230 times
Wow are you serious? I never knew you had to get a permit to park on the street in Larchmont. What's the theory behind that?

Old 02-28-2012, 08:36 AM

1,497 posts, read 4,438,268 times
It's not uncommon in some of the nicer areasI've seen signs in Scarsdale, too.

Maybe it is to discourage multi-family housing or letting the neighborhood look run down? I rented a house in Mamaroneck for a few months where my neighbors has a bunch of old cars, motorcycles, etc. and it looked terrible. Maybe not the most practical ordinance, but it does make the streets look neater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County