Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2012, 06:04 AM

2 posts, read 5,529 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving from Brooklyn to Westchester with our two children, ages 2 and 1. We are considering purchasing a house in Northern New Rochelle, right near the Wilmot Woods section (Scarsdale PO, NewRo schools) -- close to Baraud Rd and Wilmot Rd.

We love everything we've read and seen about the community so far, our only concern is that it might be exclusively Jewish (or close to it). We are Catholic and like the idea of having some diversity in the community we move to, but certainly don't mind the idea of being in a predominantly Jewish community, so long as it's not almost exclusively Jewish (i.e. we wouldn't want to be in the overwhelming minority), and that we wouldn't be shunned by the rest of the neighborhood.

Any insights, advice, etc. from folks who live near this area or are familiar with the neighborhood, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 07:12 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,885,525 times
I lived in that area for a couple of years in the late 1990s. It is heavily Jewish, but not 100% and I don't think you would be a "token family" there. I know that some parts have increasingly become very much "Orthodox Jewish" (full disclosure: I am Jewish but not Orthodox), but again, it is not 100% like some neighborhoods in Brooklyn are.

Though you didn't ask, as for schools, New Rochelle is one of those places where you are fine for elementary school as they are very much zoned by neighborhood, but for possibly middle and definitely high school, it is 1 (high school) or just a couple of schools (middle school) for the whole city and much like Mt. Vernon or Yonkers, people tend to think about private schools or moving at that point (though I still consider NewRo to be a little nicer than the other 2 in that regard). Ironically, a lot of Jewish people go on here asking your kind of question (i.e. "will we be the only Jewish family in the whole neighborhood?") and get a lot of flack for it. Keep in mind that a lot of the Orthodox in the neighborhood send their kids to religious private schools, so the makeup of schools will have a nice diversity considerably beyond what the neighborhood is like (I do some indirect work for some New Rochelle schools so I know that even for that neighborhood you would be far from the only Catholic family sending your kids there and that quite a few Catholic families live in that area too).

I hope that helps, good luck and welcome!

Old 02-26-2012, 07:18 AM

2 posts, read 5,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
I lived in that area for a couple of years in the late 1990s. It is heavily Jewish, but not 100% and I don't think you would be a "token family" there. I know that some parts have increasingly become very much "Orthodox Jewish" (full disclosure: I am Jewish but not Orthodox), but again, it is not 100% like some neighborhoods in Brooklyn are.

Though you didn't ask, as for schools, New Rochelle is one of those places where you are fine for elementary school as they are very much zoned by neighborhood, but for possibly middle and definitely high school, it is 1 (high school) or just a couple of schools (middle school) for the whole city and much like Mt. Vernon or Yonkers, people tend to think about private schools or moving at that point (though I still consider NewRo to be a little nicer than the other 2 in that regard). Ironically, a lot of Jewish people go on here asking your kind of question (i.e. "will we be the only Jewish family in the whole neighborhood?") and get a lot of flack for it. Keep in mind that a lot of the Orthodox in the neighborhood send their kids to religious private schools, so the makeup of schools will have a nice diversity considerably beyond what the neighborhood is like (I do some indirect work for some New Rochelle schools so I know that even for that neighborhood you would be far from the only Catholic family sending your kids there and that quite a few Catholic families live in that area too).

I hope that helps, good luck and welcome!
7 Wishes -- thanks a million for this. Very helpful. From your experience is the neighborhood pretty tigthknit overall, regardless of religious affiliations?

Old 02-26-2012, 08:51 AM

338 posts, read 897,243 times
The area is extremely Jewish, but some Christians live there. If you're looking to be part of a tight-knit community, this is not the place for you. The Jews stick together.

Old 02-26-2012, 03:05 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,885,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DM0523 View Post
7 Wishes -- thanks a million for this. Very helpful. From your experience is the neighborhood pretty tigthknit overall, regardless of religious affiliations?
I was single/childless and living in an apartment then and wasn't too into my neighbors so it's hard to tell but......

I don't know if this helps, and it's a tiny bit south of where you are talking, but I've been with my kids more than once to the huge playground on the corner of North Ave. and Eastchester Road by the small "Hugenot children's branch" of the library (I do not live in New Rochelle, but kind of near it) and it is literally the most "diverse" playground I have ever seen......a small but significant number of (Orthodox) Jews, but at the same time a ton of kids of literally every color/creed there, and evenly split in that sense (granted, I'm sure like us many others there didn't live "walking distance" from it either).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County