Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 12:12 PM

32 posts, read 123,616 times

Advertisements

My husband and I (with our toddler) are looking to move soon (hopefully rent first, then buy, and preferably rent a townhouse or home) and are looking for a Jewish community we'd be comfortable in, no further north than, say, Rye Brook, Dobbs Ferry, or so, preferably further south like New Rochelle or Scarsdale.

About us: we are observant but very laid back and open-minded, so not looking for an exclusively Orthodox feel but wouldn't be happy with only reform or conservative synagogues either. Top schools are a priority, as is a walkable downtown (like Bronxville or Rye, but both are lacking in diversity and Jewish community for us). Proximity to a commuter train isn't an issue.

Recommendations?

Can anyone tell me a bit about the different feels of the Jewish communities in New Rochelle vs. Scarsdale vs. Hartsdale?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 07:25 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,457,387 times
New Rochelle doesn't have top schools by Westchester standards (although many are fine with Davis and Ward), so your search just got a lot easier. Hartsdale's schools are even worse, and I never got the sense that it was a very Jewish area.

I don't know a lot about what type of Jews are in Scarsdale, but there is a very strong presence there, along with top schools (albeit pressure cookers).

Old 03-03-2012, 08:00 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
I would actually look in Dobbs Ferry, as it meets many of your criteria. Ardsley would also be worth a look, especially since you do not need to pay a premium for train access in Dobbs Ferry. Both villages have very good school districts. A walkable downtown can be an issue, especially compared to Bronxville, but Scarsdale does have a downtown area, as does Larchmont. Other villages tend to have smaller, less comprehensive downtowns, that may not be as diverse or walkable from many residential areas.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-04-2012, 06:06 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,573,823 times
I thought NR had an Orthodox area but I can't be sure (I'm a goy). The other areas are surely only reform at best, and Dobbs is mostly goy.

I really can't think of any areas in Westchester that fit your bill but over the bridge in Rockland there are quite a few.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:15 AM

338 posts, read 896,723 times
I'm looking for a community that's Presbyterian. Hopefully, everyone in the area also will be of Scottish descent. Any suggestions?

Last edited by Londonlawyer; 03-04-2012 at 07:37 AM..

Old 03-04-2012, 07:18 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattie23NYC View Post
My husband and I (with our toddler) are looking to move soon (hopefully rent first, then buy, and preferably rent a townhouse or home) and are looking for a Jewish community we'd be comfortable in, no further north than, say, Rye Brook, Dobbs Ferry, or so, preferably further south like New Rochelle or Scarsdale.

About us: we are observant but very laid back and open-minded, so not looking for an exclusively Orthodox feel but wouldn't be happy with only reform or conservative synagogues either. Top schools are a priority, as is a walkable downtown (like Bronxville or Rye, but both are lacking in diversity and Jewish community for us). Proximity to a commuter train isn't an issue.

Recommendations?

Can anyone tell me a bit about the different feels of the Jewish communities in New Rochelle vs. Scarsdale vs. Hartsdale?

Thanks!

Perhaps a visit to each area to spend a little time and see how you feel about things while you are there. I have always found a personal visit is the best way to decide what is right for me in new surroundings.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:41 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonlawyer View Post
Given our suffering, we need to be together so that we can commiserate.
Is that suffering from eating haggis?:):):)

Old 03-05-2012, 07:14 AM

We are a people with a long history of suffering. I propose that SAPAC (I.e., the Scotland-America Political Action Committee) pressure Congess and President Obama to bomb London if England opposes Scottish independence.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:29 PM

595 posts, read 1,557,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonlawyer View Post
We are a people with a long history of suffering. I propose that SAPAC (I.e., the Scotland-America Political Action Committee) pressure Congess and President Obama to bomb London if England opposes Scottish independence.
you are retarded. what is it to YOU if a person wants to live in a certain area? WE HAVE A CHOICE!

get a life, loser

Old 03-06-2012, 04:24 AM

Nice attitude.

By the way, I think that SAPAC should advocate dropping white phosphorous on London and adopt other violations of the Geneva Convention. What do you think?

I want to be with my own people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County