Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2012, 02:40 PM

5 posts, read 18,173 times

Advertisements

I really like this house - it has just about everything I want for me and my little one - location, location, location (great schools, lovely street with sidewalks, close to a park/playground, 10-15 minute walk to town/train), it's a cute 1920s house in great condition, nice layout, lots of storage space, basement playroom, flat fenced in yard perfect for playing, garage...

But it only has one bathroom. And no real place to carve out a powder room anywhere else.

I could live with that - it's just me and my kid and while it isn't ideal, we'd manage. But my question is resale value???

What do you all think? If the price was right, would you buy 3BR house with only one bathroom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 02:56 PM

74 posts, read 228,573 times
Whatever you see in the house, someone else in the future will too. Having said that, I personally wouldn't by a house with only 1 bathroom, unless there was room to add another one.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:43 PM

430 posts, read 557,340 times
It sounds like the house is almost perfect. I would go for it. I grew up in a house with only one bathroom (4 people) and it wasn't that bad. If you really need to add a half bath in the future, i'm sure there would be a way to get a little creative. Basement maybe?

Old 03-08-2012, 05:12 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,459,279 times
The cost to add a real bathroom can easily go north of $40K - to put it in the basement would be foolish since most people would consider it a near-useless upgrade.

If it's a TRUE starter home, 1 bath is fine, but I also would never buy a house with 1 bath...not even 1.5. If I can afford not to, I would never share a bath with 3 kids.

Will someone buy it? Sure, but it's going to be a much tougher sell than a 2.5 bath, even though 1 BR isn't completely unheard of. Many of the homes that I saw sit forever had bathroom issues.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:39 AM

5 posts, read 18,173 times
Ok, you're mostly confirming my thinking, which is that it will be harder to sell.

I'm also not completely convinced that I want to be in such a small school district - the place is in Hastings. Great town from what I can tell and clearly the schools are very good. But graduating in a class of around 100 kids? That seems so tiny to me.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:12 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
I shouldn't be surprised if smaller houses are in vogue in 10 years time. And unless there is an incontinency issue in the family its not a hassle if there's only two of you living there.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:04 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
One bathroom may not be ideal, but it would be the same if there were a couple in many 1BR condos in the city. With three bedrooms, however, it would be nice to have a second bathroom. If the basement is finished, I agree that a powder room might not be a bad consideration, but I would do that only for your own convenience, as resale value would be negligible with such an improvement.

For resale, the house would have a more limited sales market, with only one bathroom, but that is the case now, so if you like everything else, and can get a good price on it, it's worth considering.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-10-2012, 01:04 PM

258 posts, read 667,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aminiver View Post
I really like this house - it has just about everything I want for me and my little one - location, location, location (great schools, lovely street with sidewalks, close to a park/playground, 10-15 minute walk to town/train), it's a cute 1920s house in great condition, nice layout, lots of storage space, basement playroom, flat fenced in yard perfect for playing, garage...

But it only has one bathroom. And no real place to carve out a powder room anywhere else.

I could live with that - it's just me and my kid and while it isn't ideal, we'd manage. But my question is resale value???

What do you all think? If the price was right, would you buy 3BR house with only one bathroom?
If you're at all concerned with future resale value, I'd recommend not buying it. Do a search on homes for sale with 1 bath vs. 1.5 or more baths. You'll see a notable difference.

If you could fit in a powder room (and I've seen them added in the weirdest of places!), you might have a chance, but as a PP said, anything you're seeing/worrying about now, other people will also see and not like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County