U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 11:10 PM

4 posts, read 4,769 times

Advertisements

After living in Chicago for 13 years, my husband and I are moving to Westchester County this summer. My husband will be working in Tarrytown, and I will probably be a stay-at-home mom for some time. We have two young children ( a preschooler and a toddler). We are true city dwellers (born and raised in big cities) and are nervous about moving to a small town/suburb. We are trying to decide where to live in the area. Here is what we are looking for, any input will be helpful:

single-family houses or large condos for rent (preferably under $2500)
a nice downtown area with things to do
diverse population (we are south-Asian)
good elementary school
not too far from Tarrytown, so my husband's commute is manageable
close to the water and to the train
close-knit, inclusive community
neighborhood feel

I could go on, but these are the priorities. I am not trying to recreate a city feel, but would go a little crazy in a place too quiet/isolated with two young children.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 08:57 PM

13 posts, read 23,448 times
Default Moving to city

Try white plains....Downtown is getting pretty nice.....Not sure about schools..Housing...Metro North Railroad right there.....Great for nyc and tarrytown travel....

Old 03-13-2012, 08:13 AM

79,698 posts, read 107,841,867 times
If you don't mind crossing the bridge, Nyack would work. Perhaps Dobbs Ferry, Ardsley and Irvington may work too.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:33 AM

581 posts, read 1,229,139 times
Move to NYC.
Commute to Tarrytown is under 30 mins.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:52 PM

132 posts, read 493,066 times
Why not live right in Tarrytown? It's a nice community close to the water and to your husband work and has a bit of a city-ish feel. Just as much as Nyack, Dobbs Ferry, or Irvington. Ardsley is a complete suburb feel so if you want urban that won't work.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:28 PM

155 posts, read 284,406 times
I agree with living right in Tarrytown. The downtown is livelier than other river villages, train right there, your husband wouldn't have to deal with the annoyance of driving on 287 every morning (otherwise I would have seconded White Plains) and it's really a quick jaunt to Nyack, which is another really nice place to go visit with the kids on weekends. There are these nice historic homes along route 9 to visit, and it's in a very convenient location.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:38 PM

39 posts, read 93,168 times
Dobbs Ferry or Larchmont fits your criteria

Old 03-21-2012, 08:53 AM
bg7

7,695 posts, read 9,895,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likerman View Post
Dobbs Ferry or Larchmont fits your criteria
Really? Have you checked out the latest census data for re. diversity in the Larchmont zip?

Old 03-21-2012, 09:11 AM

715 posts, read 2,407,588 times
I agree with the previous notions of White Plains and Tarrytown. There is NO direct train service from White Plains to Tarrytown as a previous poster hinted at. Your husband would have to drive. Perhaps Yonkers would also work? New York itself is also a fine option - would be a 'reverse commute' which would reduce time traveling.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:11 AM

1,496 posts, read 4,257,281 times
Tarrytown's schools are not particularly good at all. And God no, do not cross the TZ bridge - that alone can take an hour in the morning!

Larchmont may not be particularly diverse, but we are but a 1 mile village. Unless you are a hermit, you will spend most of your time venturing out in Mamroneck and nearby New Rochelle. Although $2500 is going to be really tough anywhere here or in Mamroneck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County