Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2012, 09:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,715 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I would appreciate some feedback on recommended areas to live in to commute to Purchase, NY.

Criteria:
*Prefer to rent a home or townhouse to begin with in a budget of $2,000 -$2,500 per month - on the small side is okay.
*Good schools (suggestions on Catholic highschools would be great)
*Highschool sports: hockey, lacrosse
*Would like to use the train for commuting if possible rather than driving each day.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 11:55 AM

86 posts, read 388,821 times
I would suggest:
GREAT hockey (for this area) and good lacrosse - Rye, Mamaroneck
GREAT lacrosse and good hockey - Somers, John Jay, Yorktown
Catholics with both - Iona Prep and J.F. Kennedy
Rye - less than 10 minutes to Purchase
Mamaroneck - less than 20 minutes to Purchase
Somers/Jay/Ytown - under 30 minutes to Purchase
Your largest hurdle will be your budget.
And there is no train to Purchase, the nearest stations are Rye and White Plains, but some Purchase companies offer shuttles from the stations.

My son plays lax and hockey, so feel free to ask me any questions related to that. Where are you coming from?
If you google Section 1 hockey you will find a site that ranks local HS teams so you can see who has successful teams and who doesn't.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:08 PM

6 posts, read 15,155 times
With your budget, you should consider Fairfield County. My husband used to work in Purchase and made the commute down from the Danbury/Bethel area. It is an easy commute - I-84 to 684. Danbury and Bethel both have train stations although they are not on the same line as White Plains. There are lots of commuters up here who car pool down to the White Plains and Purchase area so you could easily car pool instead of taking the train.

Bethel schools are excellent. I cannot comment on the quality of their hockey and lacrosse teams but I'm sure you can look that up.

You could easily buy a home under $400K in these areas which would put you in your price range.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:04 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,035,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp1225 View Post
With your budget, you should consider Fairfield County. My husband used to work in Purchase and made the commute down from the Danbury/Bethel area. It is an easy commute - I-84 to 684. Danbury and Bethel both have train stations although they are not on the same line as White Plains. There are lots of commuters up here who car pool down to the White Plains and Purchase area so you could easily car pool instead of taking the train.

Bethel schools are excellent. I cannot comment on the quality of their hockey and lacrosse teams but I'm sure you can look that up.

You could easily buy a home under $400K in these areas which would put you in your price range.
Good suggestions. To elaborate, there's absolutely no reason to look anywhere in Westchester south of Purchase. None. Commuting by train will be a substantial challenge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County