Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2012, 08:36 PM

2 posts, read 4,213 times

Advertisements

Hubby and I are looking to make a move within the next year and we are in the middle of the daunting task of choosing a town we can settle and start a family. We currently live in Rye and while we enjoy the benefit's of close proximity to metro, shops, and restaurants - the lack of diversity and high priced homes leave us sour. We are in search of a walkable community with a close commute to the city, good + schools, restaurants, playground for future kiddies and in a somewhat diverse town - is that too much to ask - lol. We realize that most towns that fit these descriptions are not as diverse as the city - and we are okay with that, however, we want to live in a place that is open to different ethnicities - being a biracial couple. We are searching w/in the 500k range and like Hastings and Larchmont (open to a large condo) - seem to fit our wish list - would love to hear more about Hastings and also any suggestions.

Thanks for help!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 08:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,519 times
Larchmont is a wonderful charming town but it has very little diversity - very similar to Rye. Mamaroneck is a nice town, bit more down to earth and more diverse, sith access to the water and it shares a school district with Larchmont. Not sure about Hastings.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:47 AM

369 posts, read 631,749 times
I would think Mamaroneck would be a good option - great schools and community, but not as expensive as other places, and diverse. White Plains is also diverse, but probably not as walkable and I've heard the schools are good, but not as good as some other towns.

Personally, I prefer the Sound Shore for walkability. Most of the downtowns on the river are right by the water, but then you have to walk up hill to get to the houses. I'm not sure that's something I'd want to do in the winter!

Old 05-04-2012, 08:34 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,525,865 times
430 Carroll ave or 404 Wagner ave in Mamaroneck might fit your bill. Thats in the Rye Neck school district portion of Mamaroneck, which is great - and has diversity at about 20-25% (big for this area). Those are both really nice streets, and both walkable to the train and the village - which is really quite walkable too and has cinema, street cafes, a theatre, brand new library, swimming pool, ice rink, harbor island park and marina etc etc. I sound like a realtor.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:48 AM

15 posts, read 40,190 times
How come diversity is great for the community? As far as facts go, "diversity", which apparently only includes African or Hispanic Americans and for some reason Asians do not count, means
bad schools. Ghetto areas have a lot of diversity. I bet you would not want to live there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
430 Carroll ave or 404 Wagner ave in Mamaroneck might fit your bill. Thats in the Rye Neck school district portion of Mamaroneck, which is great - and has diversity at about 20-25% (big for this area). Those are both really nice streets, and both walkable to the train and the village - which is really quite walkable too and has cinema, street cafes, a theatre, brand new library, swimming pool, ice rink, harbor island park and marina etc etc. I sound like a realtor.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:58 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,525,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zytu2001 View Post
How come diversity is great for the community? As far as facts go, "diversity", which apparently only includes African or Hispanic Americans and for some reason Asians do not count, means
bad schools. Ghetto areas have a lot of diversity. I bet you would not want to live there.

1) I didn't say "diversity is great for the community" - so I don't feel particularly obliged to respond to your question.

But anyway...
2) The OP wants a somewhat diverse community.
3) The majority of the diveristy in Rye Neck is Asian and Hispanic.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:09 AM

51 posts, read 144,195 times
Larchmont/Mamaroneck area could fit the bill since they share the same HS.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:35 AM

413 posts, read 1,103,655 times
Pelham is diverse and walkable, with great schools.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:48 AM

1,497 posts, read 4,448,406 times
"How come diversity is great for the community? As far as facts go, "diversity", which apparently only includes African or Hispanic Americans and for some reason Asians do not count, means
bad schools. Ghetto areas have a lot of diversity. I bet you would not want to live there."

Because with few exceptions, a bunch of rich, white people are terribly annoying and boring. There is a huge difference between having a few kids with poor, immigrant parents, and gangsters overtaking schools in the south Bronx. Most educated folks realize that they aren't doing their kids any favors by sending them to a school that is 95% white/Asian.

But by all means, if people like you don't want to live in Larchmont because you think it is the ghetto, Scarsdale and Rye await.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County