Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 06:06 AM

9 posts, read 45,576 times

Advertisements

Hello-

We are searching homes in Westchester. I have read a few times that you may have your children attend a different school district, if you pay a tax of some sort. Does anyone have any input on this or tell me where to get the info?

Thank you!

TifandSal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 08:11 AM

1,497 posts, read 4,457,770 times
You'd have to contact the district directly, but that 'tax' is the entire tuition - anywhere from $17K-25K per kid depending on the district.

I can't think of one school here that I would pay that to vs. going to a private school, since I just prefer their style of teaching so much more having spent many years there myself.

Old 03-24-2012, 03:00 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,190,634 times
A big problem with paying tuition for public schools is that the schools change the number of non-residents that they accept (and if they accept any at all) from year-to-year and grade-to-grade based on enrollment. If the resident enrollment goes up one year, they may eliminate the non-resident slots. So you may have to change your child's school on a yearly basis depending on availability of non-resident slots.

I don't know what jjinla means by the "teaching style" of private schools since local private schools' approaches run the gamut from very progressive to very traditional prep school, with lots of variations along the spectrum. I agree that paying 20K plus (on top of your taxes) to send your kid to a public school which may or may not have openings from year-to-year seems like a bad idea.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:01 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,675,092 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/westc...-district.html

Old 03-26-2012, 07:43 AM

395 posts, read 1,617,857 times
I'm always amazed that people consider doing this even though it means their child will have no schoolmates who live in his/her own town. I believe one of the strong appeals of this area is the overall experience of living in a small community where kids grow up together, are on the bus and in class with other kids from the neighborhood, play on the same sports teams, attend town summer camp together, etc. IMO the differences between one Westchester district and another generally don't justify the social downside of not being part of the town/school community, especially when there are other private options available and those private schools provide their own social network, understanding that students there don't all live in the same town.

When we moved here from So Cal one of main things I was glad to be away from was having a 45 min commute to/from private school, and a 2 hr+ radius of driving to/from playdates and social events because your kid's friends could live an hour in the other direction from the school.

Old 11-26-2013, 04:39 PM

1 posts, read 30,199 times
My son went to a school for 5 years, but now moved to another town, but wants to stay at the same school. What should I do?

Old 11-28-2013, 12:33 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,028,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by opti9990 View Post
My son went to a school for 5 years, but now moved to another town, but wants to stay at the same school. What should I do?
Of course he wants to. So what? Life isn't always perfect. Do what people have always done: you move communities, you move schools. Unless he's been cocooned and coddled his whole life to avoid any experience that isn't pleasurable - a large and growing part of our population, I'm afraid - he'll adjust and get over it. Kids are resilient. But only if their parents allow them to be.

Old 12-13-2013, 03:37 PM

192 posts, read 375,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Of course he wants to. So what? Life isn't always perfect. Do what people have always done: you move communities, you move schools. Unless he's been cocooned and coddled his whole life to avoid any experience that isn't pleasurable - a large and growing part of our population, I'm afraid - he'll adjust and get over it. Kids are resilient. But only if their parents allow them to be.
+1

Well put!

Old 12-13-2013, 05:31 PM

19 posts, read 80,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ld75 View Post
+1

well put!
+2

Old 11-12-2014, 06:31 PM

2 posts, read 28,173 times
I own a business and I pay school taxes, I leave in another town but we don't like the school in that town so my daughter is being going to private school since she is little. now is being difficult for me to pick up and drop off my daughter to her school, so I would like to know if I can put her in the schools where I own my business, I'm in that town for 6 years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County