Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 06:14 PM

369 posts, read 633,442 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the newest Best Places to Live list in Westchester Magazine. I've lived in Rye for 1.5 years, and like it well enough considering we're "poor" and don't have kids. But my husband and I are considering moving when our lease is up at the end of October and just wanted to see what people thought of the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 08:03 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,458,495 times
New Rochelle is considered to be the 'Best Place to Raise a Family' and listed all of the stellar schools there...none of which were public.

Need I say more?

Old 04-04-2012, 07:28 AM

293 posts, read 886,319 times
I think these type of features are interesting in that they may get you to look at a neighborhood you otherwise wouldn't have checked out. But it can also be like travel writer who finds some questionable 'gems' in very bleak destinations... (best mall shopping, anyone?)

I like the list more because it gives me ideas of places to visit on the weekends than as a way to pick a town to live.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehmom View Post
I like the list more because it gives me ideas of places to visit on the weekends than as a way to pick a town to live.
I was just saying this to my husband last night! I told him that I didn't think we spent very much time in other towns in Westchester and that's probably why we have such a hard time thinking of where to move. Most of the time on the weekend we go to the city, or we go to a handful of other towns (Port Chester, White Plains, Larchmont/Mamaroneck) but mostly just to run errands and then come back home. Not much "exploring" being done...

Old 04-04-2012, 08:24 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,031,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post
New Rochelle is considered to be the 'Best Place to Raise a Family' and listed all of the stellar schools there...none of which were public.
Need I say more?
Exactly. Westchester mag is constantly doing those stupid ratings - town ratings, school ratings, whatever ratings. The purpose is to get people to buy it cause you don't have time to read it all in the checkout line. The criteria they use range from idiotic to unfathomable. I've yet to see a single such article that was worth a dime.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:02 AM

78 posts, read 183,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post
New Rochelle is considered to be the 'Best Place to Raise a Family' and listed all of the stellar schools there...none of which were public.?
Fact: the Barnard Early Childhood Center / Elementary School is indeed a public school, a highly sought-after public school.

Further I understand the elementary school school that services that neighborhood to be very well-regarded (I have no first-hand experience with it).

Aside from correcting uneducated anti-New Rochelle bias, I agree that these articles are pretty ridiculous, and that the Beechmont area of NR is no better or worse for raising kids than many many other Westchester communities. Flashy titles sell mags.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:11 AM

I think a main problem is priorities of different people. Forbes and Money magazine do the same rankings, and get the some complaints. Different people value different things, and no one town is going to be able to deliver on all of them. I take it as just one perspective (much like the perspectives on this forum).

Old 04-04-2012, 12:19 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,458,495 times
Sure, Barnard IS decent enough, but the pre-K and magnet are by lottery. Ever seen Waiting for Superman?? All but the priveleged few get sent to Trinity or Jefferson instead. The north end get to go to Davis or Ward instead, which are better but not spectacular. By middle school the cracks are forming and the HS is borderline at best. No thanks. There are plenty of better towns here with GREAT schools AND lower crime rates.

I maintain my stance that Westchester Magazine's editors are morons. Last year they ranked Mt. Vernon over Rye as a 'best place to live' from what I recall.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:18 AM

258 posts, read 907,888 times
I think those articles are interesting in terms of seeing what is out there for visits. Maybe people are unaware of the Pleasantville music festival or the restaurants in Armonk or whatever but that's about it.

As for Banard, it is more than decent, I have heard great things about it. There are some great things about New Rochelle schools but best for families is stretching it.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:38 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,191,452 times
I find it interesting that Westchester Mag totally changed their format from previous year's. This approach is much safer than trying to rank towns as overall "best" or "worst." Some of their "best" are pretty safe and obvious (Armonk for food, Peekskill for art), but some are highly questionable. While Rye certainly has some lovely parks, I question its being the "best for nature lovers." The average town in upper Westchester has far more parkland, nature trails, protected woods, working farms, and environmental organizations offering classes and programs for kids and adults. Not to mention that upper Westchester has a very well established community of nature-loving, eco-friendly, locovorian, backyard chicken- and bee-keeping folk.

But of course the article did what it was supposed to--here we are looking at it and talking about it. Though I doubt any of us bought the rag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County