U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-25-2012, 07:52 PM
 
22 posts, read 142,519 times
Reputation: 21

Advertisements

We are trying to buy a house with illegal decks. The seller bought it in 2007, and did not realize the decks are illegal (no C.O.), now he hires an architect to legalize it. I think it might need a varience, or they need to cut back some decks to make it smaller. I am wondering how long this process can take, is 3 months enough? And the seller has relocated to other state, only architect here does C. O. application. We need to sign a contract soon, before they finally obtain C.O. for the decks. The contract will be contigent on obtaining all valid C.O. before closing. Our loan application needs to be delayed as well. Is it a big risk to sign the contract? Thank you for any information.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-26-2012, 07:58 AM
 
Location: Pleasantville, NY
114 posts, read 542,443 times
Reputation: 51
I have a similar issue. I have a balcony and a deck, and the deck is on the original application for the CO (in 1979), but the balcony isn't. It's obvious that the balcony and deck were constructed at the same time, but when I bought my house, the bank's attorney raised an objection to the balcony and deck not being on the CO (it wasn't required at the time).

Since the deck was on the original application, the bank's attny allowed it, but not the balcony. It needs to get a CO.

We had two options, let the sellers handle it or we do it and money is set aside in escrow. We bought the house, moved in, and the sellers said that they would handle it.

That was two years ago. It was a divorcing couple; one-half moved and the other half isn't responding to inquiries.

The banks attorney later told us that we should have waited to let the sellers deal with it. We didn't have a choice because we had already sold our apartment and had to be out by a certain date, so we didn't have the luxury of time.

Two years later, we still don't have a CO for the balcony. It's a mess to get that money out of escrow to handle the architect/engineer, permits, etc,. Lesson learned. So now it's up to us to handle it but again, we need to locate the original sellers to get them to sign off on the paperwork, turn over the money in escrow, etc. A mess!

We spent almost two months in negotiations about that blasted balcony. I was tired of dealing with it and just wanted to close. In hindsight, I should have waited longer. They're losing money on not resolving the issue because they're still paying a mortgage and taxes on the house until they can sell it.

A buddy of mine bought a house in Queens a few years ago. One of the reasons he bought it was because of the large open deck in the back. Turns out, it's illegal, but he, and the original owner, were paying taxes on it! He sued and it went through legal for a couple of years. He eventually had to get it 'modified' to bring it to code, all at his expense.

My advice... if you can wait, I would suggest that you let the seller deal with it. If they have to open the can of worms to get it resolved, it's a headache best saved for the seller and not you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2012, 10:56 AM
 
22 posts, read 142,519 times
Reputation: 21
Thank you for sharing the experience. We requested the seller to obtain all valid C. O. before the closing, as our loan agent and attoney warned us the diffculty of closing due to unresovled C. O . issues, banks are much stricter these days than 2007. The seller underestands he must resovle this, so the transaction can go through. He has hired an architect to handle this. I want to wait till they get C.O. and then close the house. I am just wondering if 3 months is enough for application in Greenburgh. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top