Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 03:00 PM

369 posts, read 633,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoboulette View Post
This is a wonderful idea. I hope there some gems out there. Have not found any yet, but I'll DM you if I do...!

I tried Sweet Tooth cupcakes in Katonah yesterday. Coconut cream was pretty passable, frosting was very good. The others were meh to flat out bad. I can make better cupcakes. $13 for four cupcakes, 3 that did not cut the mustard.

What gives, WC??
I think cupcakes are one of the hardest things to review! Sooo many people I know are in love with Crumbs cupcakes, but I can't help feeling like I'm just eating a cupcake shaped cake with twice as much frosting. I much prefer Magnolia, but others say the frosting is too sweet (but I like it!). It's really hit or miss with cupcakes, I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 03:30 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times
Crumbs has nothing on Magnolia. Plus Crumbs aren't actually made in the strore, though they strive to give you that impression. In a nutshell, Crumbs is quantity, Magnolia is quality.

Some of the Magnolia recipes you can find online and save yourself the trip!

Old 05-10-2012, 05:57 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,456,256 times
As someone who lived in other countries and traveled quite a lot, I find the food at restaurants in America bad with only few exceptions.
When someone complains about restaurant food in a county like Westchester, I always ask: do you find the food significantly better in Rockland, Ulster, Putnam, Dutchess. etc, etc..?
Another weird custom is restaurants closing around 8:00pm....In other countries such places only open at 10:00pm ! But hey, that's America.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:52 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,027,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabitoff View Post
I think cupcakes are one of the hardest things to review! Sooo many people I know are in love with Crumbs cupcakes, but I can't help feeling like I'm just eating a cupcake shaped cake with twice as much frosting. I much prefer Magnolia, but others say the frosting is too sweet (but I like it!). It's really hit or miss with cupcakes, I think.
CUPCAKES???? This is what you worry about? And at $13 for 4? How good can they possibly be? Get serious, people.

Last edited by kletter1mann; 05-10-2012 at 08:54 PM.. Reason: incomplete

Old 05-10-2012, 08:56 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,027,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
As someone who lived in other countries and traveled quite a lot, I find the food at restaurants in America bad with only few exceptions.
When someone complains about restaurant food in a county like Westchester, I always ask: do you find the food significantly better in Rockland, Ulster, Putnam, Dutchess. etc, etc..?
Another weird custom is restaurants closing around 8:00pm....In other countries such places only open at 10:00pm ! But hey, that's America.
As another that has done the same, I wonder the same thing. Apparently the answer in Cali is "yes" though I haven't personally found that to be so.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:47 PM

369 posts, read 633,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
CUPCAKES???? This is what you worry about? And at $13 for 4? How good can they possibly be? Get serious, people.
Worried? About cupcakes? Hardly. It came up in the progression of the conversation. It happens. The fact that our tangent into cupcakes upset you so much is actually what worries me...

I plan on covering all kinds of things in my blog. Cupcakes might be one of them.

In fact, in the grand scheme of things, worrying about the quality of restaurants in Westchester is a probably a waste of time. Yes, there might not be as many great ones as the city, but there are plenty of good and decent places to visit, and honestly, most of us are out here because we want space and a home with amenities like a decent sized kitchen, so hopefully we are spending our property tax dollars wisely and eating at home as often as we can.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:17 AM

81 posts, read 245,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
I'm always on the hunt for the ultimate cupcake. If anyone has any ideas, please pass them along! I have yet to try The Cupcake Kitchen in Irvington. Looks promising - uber cute retro decor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County