Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2012, 09:54 PM

34 posts, read 90,223 times

Advertisements

So, I'm a single, professional in his 30s and am moving to the NYC area (working in Dobbs Ferry) and wanted to see what people's thoughts were about living in Yonkers?

Please share the good, bad and in between.

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 09:41 AM

32 posts, read 108,901 times
Yonkers is one of the largest citys in NYS so you can get pretty much whatever you are looking for from a neighborhood perspective. Lots of great options for someone in your demographic - waterfront and the area bordering Bronxville comes to mind. Totally different areas since one is urban and the other is suburban, but both could work.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:29 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,471,216 times
If you are going to be working in Dobbs Ferry, and you'd like to be close to the many amenities of NYC, then Yonkers might be worth looking into for you. There are some newer high-rise luxury apartments near the waterfront, which would put you in walking distance of the main Yonkers train station, the main branch of the public library, and a few nice restaurants in the downtown area. While there is a lot of renovation/rejuvenation in the downtown area, much of it still is not very appealing, and you will notice several vacant storefronts in that area.

Good points: Proximity to NYC, transportation options (train, Bee-Line bus system, major roadways through the city), ethnic and racial diversity, shopping options (Cross County Shopping Center, the new Ridge Hill shopping area and many stores along Central Park Avenue).

Bad/Not So Good points: Crime in some parts of city (notably SW Yonkers), including gang violence, residents pay Yonkers City Tax, even if income earned in another city or town, higher sales tax than other areas in the county, mediocre or poor schools, seemingly endless city budget problems, recent scandals/corruption in city government.

I am temporarily living in a friend's house in what is considered a desirable area (Colonial Heights) in the NE part of the city. While the homes are nice here, and there are some large, more expensive homes here too, I find that it doesn't have the same suburban feel as you'd find in other parts of Westchester. At least a few times a week, I hear the sound of sirens wailing as either fire trucks are rushing off to who knows what emergency or police cars are doing the same. Recently I came home late from work one night, and I was treated to the unmistakable sound of a leaf blower coming through my bedroom window at 2 am... probably from someone using it to clean a parking lot over on nearby Central Avenue. I never experienced as much noise pollution in 30+ years of living in Rye Brook as I have in a few months of living in Yonkers.

Having said that, for a younger person like yourself looking for someplace with easy access to NYC, Yonkers would probably be OK for a few years. If I were looking to settle down and raise a family, though, there are certainly better choices available in Westchester than Yonkers.

You might find this article about Yonkers on Wikipedia informative, particularly the sections about the various neighborhoods in the city: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yonkers,_New_York

Last edited by manyroads; 06-25-2012 at 01:53 PM.. Reason: I forgot something

Old 03-04-2013, 08:07 PM

11 posts, read 12,759 times
female professional in her 30s relocating to hackensack nj for work
ive been pricing apts and found really nice and reasonably priced apts in yonkers. would commuting from yonkers to hackensack daily be feasible?? thoughts on that appreciated.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:43 AM

866 posts, read 2,484,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellaD1 View Post
female professional in her 30s relocating to hackensack nj for work
ive been pricing apts and found really nice and reasonably priced apts in yonkers. would commuting from yonkers to hackensack daily be feasible?? thoughts on that appreciated.
You'd need to cross the GWB twice daily... You'd have to be crazy to want to do that. Plus, what does it cost now anyways for that privilege? Stick to the other side of the river.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:30 PM

5 posts, read 9,469 times
To the young man working in Dobbs - living in Yonkers is probably fine for a single person. DO NOT MOVE TO YONKERS IF YOU HAVE SCHOOL AGED CHILDREN. The schools are awful. Be careful of the neighborhoods in Yonkers. Some are just lovely and some are very much not. I personally recommend the building I live in - 1155 Warburton Ave. It's an apartment building that converted to condo and now the sponsor is renting out units because of slow sales. The building is right on the river with lovely views. There is a nice outdoor pool, a workout room, renters get an indoor parking space, 24 hour doorman (and they're really great guys), a good maintenance staff, etc. All the apts have balconies. I like it but am moving because of schools. I may even move to Dobbs Ferry!

To the gal working in Hackensack - I would definitely live on the west side of the Hudson. You can live in Westchester and cross the Tappan Zee Bridge and drive to Hackensack, but it's probably not worth it. Nyack is a nice artsy liberal town in NY but on the Hackensack side of the river, check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County