Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 08:53 AM

796 posts, read 1,755,804 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I just would like to ask about the comparison of Dobbs Ferry and Eastchester. What can you tell me about either of them? Which has better school systems and more kids going to top universities? In which town is there, "more to do?" How do the people/community compare? Which do you recommend overall?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 11:00 AM

and by the way, I come from a very wealthy/high-achieving Nassau County suburb so I am accustomed to 20-30 kids per class getting into Ivy Leagues each year. Do you think Dobbs Ferry/Eastchester is too much of a jump?

Old 06-20-2012, 12:12 PM

222 posts, read 540,618 times
If you're that worried about getting into the iIvy league you might as well send them to the best private school you can afford. I'd say that where you'll find the best odds in getting into target schools.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:31 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,028,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westchesterwannabe View Post
If you're that worried about getting into the iIvy league you might as well send them to the best private school you can afford. I'd say that where you'll find the best odds in getting into target schools.
Or at least consider Scarsdale, Bronxville or Chappaqua. Eastchester and Dobbs Ferry aren't in the same league. Some will argue that it's hair splitting, and it is, but if you're in someplace "very wealthy/high-achieving" then understand that Eastchester and Dobbs Ferry aren't quite in the same category as the others.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Or at least consider Scarsdale, Bronxville or Chappaqua. Eastchester and Dobbs Ferry aren't in the same league. Some will argue that it's hair splitting, and it is, but if you're in someplace "very wealthy/high-achieving" then understand that Eastchester and Dobbs Ferry aren't quite in the same category as the others.
I've heard that Dobbs Ferry has an excellent IB program which my district does not even have

Old 06-21-2012, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinuzzo View Post
I've heard that Dobbs Ferry has an excellent IB program which my district does not even have
So what? Do you have some real need for an IB program or do you view it as a college entry credential? If you think that's going to provide a meaningful admissions edge over a bunch of AP courses in Scarsdale or Chappaqua, then I think you're quite mistaken. Kids still need the SAT and AP scores, IB or no IB.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
So what? Do you have some real need for an IB program or do you view it as a college entry credential? If you think that's going to provide a meaningful admissions edge over a bunch of AP courses in Scarsdale or Chappaqua, then I think you're quite mistaken. Kids still need the SAT and AP scores, IB or no IB.
Colleges determine the rigor of an applicant's schedule based on what is offered at that school, not what is offered at other schools.
Also, AP scores are not used by admissions officers to determine admissions but rather to allot college credit once the applicant is admitted.

The average SAT score is only 40 points lower than that at my current district, however

Last edited by Peppin0; 06-21-2012 at 08:25 AM..

Old 06-21-2012, 08:39 AM

866 posts, read 2,483,845 times
This is obviously a decision that only you can make. It depends on what you are comfortable with, and how much stock you put on being in one of the "top-performing/elite" districts like Scarsdale, Chappaqua, and Bronxville. There are plenty of other VERY good school districts in Westchester, and a top student will get into an Ivy from any of them. Many many people prefer other districts anyways because they don't like the pressure in those previously mentioned districts. It's not like college admissions people have never heard of Dobbs Ferry or even Eastchester for that matter.

Just as a point of interest, Scarsdale doesn't even offer AP classes anymore, and therefore they didn't rank on the newest top 100 high school list. And the thing is, they don't care. They came up with something they think is better, and it hasn't hurt the students' college admissions. This is the level of confidence that exists here. Is that the kind of attitude that you want and feel comfortable with? If you really want an IB program then why let someone else dissuade you? You really can't go wrong...

Old 06-21-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsmart View Post
This is obviously a decision that only you can make. It depends on what you are comfortable with, and how much stock you put on being in one of the "top-performing/elite" districts like Scarsdale, Chappaqua, and Bronxville. There are plenty of other VERY good school districts in Westchester, and a top student will get into an Ivy from any of them. Many many people prefer other districts anyways because they don't like the pressure in those previously mentioned districts. It's not like college admissions people have never heard of Dobbs Ferry or even Eastchester for that matter.

Just as a point of interest, Scarsdale doesn't even offer AP classes anymore, and therefore they didn't rank on the newest top 100 high school list. And the thing is, they don't care. They came up with something they think is better, and it hasn't hurt the students' college admissions. This is the level of confidence that exists here. Is that the kind of attitude that you want and feel comfortable with? If you really want an IB program then why let someone else dissuade you? You really can't go wrong...
True enough. The fact is, if a kid TRULY is ivy-bound, any of these school will do the trick.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:30 AM

454 posts, read 763,313 times
As far as the towns themselves, Dobbs Ferry's streets are narrow, and patched up all over. It's hard to drive through there, and the downtown area is junkie looking, rundown. Eastchester is brighter and the streets are newer and wider. I don't live in Westchester, but visit often (family in West. and farm upstate) I had to rent a clarinet last year for one of my daughters, and drove to Dobbs Ferry about 4 times. The streets were in such disrepair, I couldn't believe it was Westchester. The music store was like a slum. Maybe some see it as quaint, but to me it was a very difficult place to get around in. Considering the cost of living, there wasn't much that you get back for all your money.
Eastchester seems much more open, everything nice and new, streets are wide, and it just seems more modern and clean.
Impressions from an outsider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County