Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 10:29 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,600,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldHaveLeft914 View Post
All 3 will feel isolated.
2 are near train tracks and office buildings.
The other is near lower income housing.
Not what you want.

Get a realtor to show you 7 apartments all in different parts of town.
You need to focus on LOCATION, not the apartment itself.
Thanks for the suggestion. We will definitely get in touch with a realtor. I seems like most of the buildings are older which is not what we are looking for, but we will be on the lookout for one that has been upgraded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 07:25 PM

369 posts, read 630,502 times
There are all kinds of apartments and places to live in White Plains, Stamford, other areas. Some of the nicest could even be in a multi-family. I think a realtor will be the most knowledgeable, especially since you're moving from out of state.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabitoff View Post
There are all kinds of apartments and places to live in White Plains, Stamford, other areas. Some of the nicest could even be in a multi-family. I think a realtor will be the most knowledgeable, especially since you're moving from out of state.
Thanks. We'll keep looking for a good realtor. The last person we met with showed us several apartments that didn't seem appropriate. But then again, he didn't spend much time inquiring what type of place we are looking for. Mostly he wanted to know how much we were willing to spend, which is not necessarily the best place to start. But finding a new place to live is a challenge so we are going to keep at it. Thanks for the hints.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:55 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,440,520 times
Did anyone ever tell you to check out Riverdale? Close to Westchester, a much more happening area IMO than White Plains. Just a thought. I love the area, but with three kids would never consider it.

White Plains is kind of all over the place and lacks a real core. It's a decent downtown for Westchester since it is so suburban around here, but sucks if you've ever lived in a real mid-sized city.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post
Did anyone ever tell you to check out Riverdale? Close to Westchester, a much more happening area IMO than White Plains. Just a thought. I love the area, but with three kids would never consider it.

White Plains is kind of all over the place and lacks a real core. It's a decent downtown for Westchester since it is so suburban around here, but sucks if you've ever lived in a real mid-sized city.
Yes, I see it the same way. White Plains doesn't really have a core. It seems to be rather dispersed. Though finding a nice place to live that is reasonably priced (for the NY metro area that is). Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:19 AM

48 posts, read 87,272 times
You could also look in one city place and Seasons. Seasons - though it is not a rental property has listings online from owners.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:50 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,292,745 times
The seasons is a decent building, but right across the street there are rentals available in the Korman communities building. Both buildings are fine but again you're in less of a neighborhood setting, there's lots of amenities around with the mall being across the street (as well as the metro north).

Old 07-05-2012, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leofox View Post
You could also look in one city place and Seasons. Seasons - though it is not a rental property has listings online from owners.
Hi, I will check it out. We will be visiting White Plains again in a few weeks. I only wish it had more of a community feel. It just feels like lots of buildings. But we didn't walk the whole city last time so maybe there are parts that are more like we are looking for. We'll also be taking a look at Stamford and see how they compare. Thanks again for your help.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordlife View Post
The seasons is a decent building, but right across the street there are rentals available in the Korman communities building. Both buildings are fine but again you're in less of a neighborhood setting, there's lots of amenities around with the mall being across the street (as well as the metro north).
Didn't check out the Korman the last time around. Will definitely take a look this time around. Thanks!

Old 07-06-2012, 08:17 AM

581 posts, read 1,296,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
White Plains. I only wish it had more of a community feel. It just feels like lots of buildings.
This is exactly right.
If you want community, look elsewhere.
Do you have kids?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County