Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 03:54 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoWest View Post
jjinla, your words just speak for themselves. I repeat, how did you figure out these people "running around Pelham" were "the worst of them"? I don't suppose it was from seeing me, white, ivy-educated, driving in my European car, though from one of your inferior neighboring towns, buying wine on Wolfs Lane, was it? (btw, I shop/do errands all up and down Wolfs / Pelhamdale, not just at the wine shop.)

The idea that moms in Pelham drive "in and out" of not so nice areas with mangy people to drop their kids off at school, grab coffee and pick up the dry cleaning is simply preposterous and factually inaccurate.

No, I didn't comment on your take on Harrison. I know nothing about it, having only ever driven through, so I don't presume to have any knowledge about what Harrison is actually like.
But even if you did know what Harrison was like and you couldn't describe it without contravening some PC rules and pretending that low class behavior doesn't exist - you couldn't review it with honesty anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 04:48 PM

78 posts, read 183,246 times
Doh, you've got me all figured out

I'm the dishonest one when s/he describes parents in Pelham taking their kids to school through trashy areas. Most kids walk from their leafy green street a short bucolic distance to their charming school, accompanied by their classmates and a few parents. This is simply fact. This is one of the very things that creates the close knit community jinnie first sited.

Yes, there is a slightly grittier part of town. And yes, Target is in Mount Vernon and the retail area by the Fairway is odd (I've been there only once, so I can't really comment, sorry for not making snap judgements. Oh, but I LOVE the Target!) And yes, Pelham borders on more densely populated areas with a more urban feel. That is the most cogent part of the argument, but takes a back seat to the way jinnie expresses what bugs him and I (honestly) do like this about the area. So figures jinnie and I wouldn't live in the same town. I'm actually not all that PC, but not judging the nature of people's character through your car window is a pretty low bar.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:24 AM
bg7

You don't need to be "judging their character" you just need to be observing behavior. If you don't want your kids around that behavior, then its simple.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:53 AM

78 posts, read 183,246 times
I asked how he figured they were the worst, no bad behavior was described. I have seen diversity in Pelham, but I have not seen bad behavior, just my experience.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:02 AM

413 posts, read 1,105,718 times
I sure have seen bad behavior.... from people of all income levels.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:06 PM

I do know what jjinja is talking about. There are a group of teenagers hanging out in Pelham lately who are up to no good.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:10 PM
bg7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonny View Post
I sure have seen bad behavior.... from people of all income levels.
Ok, so is your experience of the world wide enough to have determined that bad behavior is more prevalent in some locations than others? Or are you holding on to some normative ideal?

Old 07-12-2012, 06:05 AM

normative idea, and, of course bad behavior is more prevalent in some locations than others. peer influence. but isn't this a bit off topic?

Old 07-12-2012, 06:51 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,027,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Ok, so is your experience of the world wide enough to have determined that bad behavior is more prevalent in some locations than others? Or are you holding on to some normative ideal?
My experience of the world is certainly wide enough to have determined that bad behavior is more prevalent in some areas than others. This doesn't seem like a very profound observation. Can there be any doubt about it?

But back to Pelham. The gritty commercial side of town is seperated from the rest by the largely impermeable Hutchinson Parkway. Mt Vernon is also held at bay by the Hutch. And the Pelham cops are quite diligent. Roving bands of menacing Mt Vernon youth aren't likely to feel welcome for long should they decide to stroll the streets around, say, Colonial School. The issue of being surrounded by "undesirables" has always been a part of Pelham. Day to day it's really a non-issue, though I can imagine non-locals seeing it as one. OK, so those folks go someplace else and are hemmed in by communities less menacing than the Bronx.

Or look at it another way. The one of the Bronx zoo birdhouses has a darkened, concrete walkway open to a bright, airy, tree-filled jungle environment with food, bugs, etc. There's a sign for kids explaining why the birds don't seek escape via the dark walkway. The answer: there's nothing for them there. Everything they need and want and are at home with is on their side. They stay with what they know. So it is with Pelham. "OMG, aren't you afraid of the hoards from Coop City streaming over the bridge and setting your house on fire??" The answer is no. There's nothing for them there. Now, New Roc City seems to be another matter....

Old 07-12-2012, 07:18 AM
bg7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
My experience of the world is certainly wide enough to have determined that bad behavior is more prevalent in some areas than others. This doesn't seem like a very profound observation. Can there be any doubt about it?
Yes, its not profound, its very evident. All the more puzzling then the PC pretense regarding anti-social behavior or crime whatever your ill of choice is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County