Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 08:07 AM

78 posts, read 183,246 times

Advertisements

kletter1man - the question about wide experience in the world was a back-handed comment against my assertion that jjinla's comments struck me as racist. As for a wide world view, I'm a dual-national, have lived in 4 countries and visited countless others, bg7. But that's irrelevant. If you lived in my town, you would have seen FAR worse from some of our residents (in bad neighborhoods) than by anyone in Pelham. From public drunkeness, drugs, etc... to more simple things like keeping small children up to all hours. And yes, you learn very quickly to stay away from these areas. I have been open to someone describing what bad behavior they've seen in Pelham, which would help clarify how jjinla's figured out these people are "the worst of them".

I am far more interested in Nonny's opinion of what goes on in Pelham, as a resident, than jjinla's, who seems to have to go through these inferior areas and to the gritty parts of Pelham a lot for someone who loathes being near them. Nonny, would you describe your daily trip to Colonial as taking you through not-so-pretty areas with not-so-nice people? And what is going on with the group of teenagers you describe (I'm truly curious, not trying to say that it's not true.)

Kletter1man's experience is consistent with mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 10:12 AM

1,497 posts, read 4,457,387 times
At any point are you going to respond to the OP's question, or are you more interested in attacking me for a statement that you misinterpreted?

Old 07-12-2012, 10:32 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoWest View Post
. As for a wide world view, I'm a dual-national, have lived in 4 countries and visited countless others, bg7.
I see we have some common ground then, bar my 3 for your 4.

Old 07-13-2012, 04:53 AM

413 posts, read 1,105,718 times
There are zero issues around Colonial School. Walking to Colonial, or any of the schools, is delightful. You pass through tree lined streets with friendly neighbors and dogs. Kids don't even need to walk with their parents. It's like living in Mayberry.The current problem is that there are a group of teenagers who are currently hanging out in the playground after school. They are littering, loud, swearing, unruly, jumping off buildings.Not good behavior for a playground filled with little kids. This behavior has been addressed in the local paper. It's not racist. The kids are multiculturally inconsiderate.

Old 05-16-2022, 12:15 AM

3 posts, read 1,926 times
Pelham is the place to be if you want an extremely convenient location, close to Manhattan and a top-5 Westchester school district. Pelham has a small-town vibe but its border with New York City (via the city's largest park - Pelham Bay Park in the Bronx) and New Rochelle adds an unique urban flavor to the town. Pelham residents looking for a quick escape from the town go to Main Street in New Rochelle, Pondfield Rd. in Bronxville, City Island, Arthur Avenue or Manhattan—since it's ridiculously fast to get to from Pelham.

Harrison is for those who want an IB school district (a lot of international folks live there because of that) that's a little less competitive (top-25 in Westchester maybe?), a very quiet suburban feel, and those who don't care too much about proximity to the city. Harrison residents hang out in White Plains or Port Chester, if they want to ”get away.” The taxes are lower in Harrison since the schools are a little less competitive (though they are quite good) and you get more house for your money, generally.

Last edited by ManBx; 05-16-2022 at 12:17 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-16-2022, 12:16 AM

3 posts, read 1,926 times
Pelham is the place to be if you want an extremely convenient location, close to Manhattan and a top-5 Westchester school district. Pelham has a small-town vibe but it's border with New York City (via the city's largest park - Pelham Bay Park in the Bronx) and New Rochelle adds an unique urban flavor to the town. Pelham residents looking for a quick escape from the town go to Main Street in New Rochelle, Pondfield Rd. in Bronxville, City Island, Arthur Avenue or Manhattan—since it's ridiculously fast to get to from Pelham.
Harrison is for those who want an IB school district (a lot of international folks live there because of that) that's a little less competitive (top-25 in Westchester maybe?), a very quiet suburban feel, and those who don't care too much about proximity to the city. Harrison residents hang out in White Plains or Port Chester, if they want to ”get away.” The taxes are lower in Harrison since the schools are a little less competitive (though they are quite good) and you get more house for your money, generally.

Old 05-16-2022, 10:24 AM

986 posts, read 1,016,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManBx View Post
Pelham is the place to be if you want an extremely convenient location, close to Manhattan and a top-5 Westchester school district.
I like Pelham very much, but in terms of rankings it most definitely does not have a top 5 school district in the County. Its schools are good, no doubt, but Scarsdale, Edgemont, Chappaqua, Rye Brook, Briarcliff, Bronxville, Ardsley and Irvington are all better rankings-wise. And that's eight districts just off of the top of my head.

Old 05-16-2022, 03:36 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,943,271 times
Harrison has some beautiful sections. It really depends on what you want. Pelham is very compact and close to the city. Harrison is a bit further from the city (though not far) and more spread out.

All in all, I think I would choose a nice section of Harrison. There are some amazingly beautiful houses around Purchase Street and North Street.

Old 05-29-2022, 12:00 PM

71 posts, read 133,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
I like Pelham very much, but in terms of rankings it most definitely does not have a top 5 school district in the County. Its schools are good, no doubt, but Scarsdale, Edgemont, Chappaqua, Rye Brook, Briarcliff, Bronxville, Ardsley and Irvington are all better rankings-wise. And that's eight districts just off of the top of my head.
My username is out of date, we've been in Pelham for about seven years, love it here.

On one hand, I think a lot of the school ranking sites have questionable methodology, may not have all the data, etc. But that said, Niche lists Pelham as the fifth-best in Westchester -- earning an A+ -- and behind Scarsdale, Bronxville, Chappaqua and Byram Hills, but ahead of all of the others you mention.

https://www.niche.com/k12/search/bes...ts/s/new-york/

We have two kids in the public schools here. My spouse and I are both educated professionals, and while we are not teachers, we work in education-adjacent fields. We have been *very* happy with all involved in the district -- Teachers, Principals, Supers, Board, etc. Nothing is perfect, but you could do a heckuva lot worse than the Pelham public schools.

It's also a lovely place to live with a fantastic sense of community and civic engagement.

Old 05-30-2022, 10:23 AM

973 posts, read 1,409,076 times
In a place like Westchester, arguing over whether a school district is in the top 5 or just top 10 is the definition of a waste of time. All such school districts are equally excellent in the main, but may vary significantly in terms of an individual families preferences. And remember, you have to live in the district. Pelham might be a million times better than Chappaqua for some families, and vice versa for others. This is like arguing over which restaurant is better - an excellent steakhouse or an excellent Thai place. I hate Thai and like steak, so for me the steakhouse is 100x better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County