Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 02:55 PM

796 posts, read 1,756,253 times

Advertisements

Which place would you say is "better?" What are the pros and cons of each of them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 07:30 PM

413 posts, read 1,106,004 times
Pelham is incredibly convenient to everything. Pelham's schools did well on the Newsweek's list of top schools in the country. I"m not sure that Harrison's schools were even on the list...

Old 07-04-2012, 10:34 PM
JCT

10 posts, read 21,072 times
I just moved from Pelham after 20 years there -- both of my children went through the public schools all the way and we were very pleased.

My son was a senior this year and I think his graduating class had the best college placement stats ever -- it was impressive.

A great place to raise kids and extremely convenient to virtually everything.

Old 07-05-2012, 05:44 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,031,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinuzzo View Post
Which place would you say is "better?" What are the pros and cons of each of them?
As your interests seems to revolve around things Italian, there's this:

Pelham: Historically WASPy, white collar professional, Pelham Heights and Pelham Manor in particular. North Pelham more working class, less educated and less interest in education, strongly Italian.

Harrison: Like North Pelham, but more money.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:36 AM

1,497 posts, read 4,458,495 times
Pelham
Pros - great schools, close to everything, passable downtown, close knit community, Pelham Manor is gorgeous
Cons - high taxes, on top of Mt. Vernon, Bronx and New Rochelle, regular Pelham is run down, 7 yr wait for train parking

Harrison
Pros - low taxes, decent schools, more for your money, Purchase and areas near Rye have some crazy real estate, easy train parking
Cons - very spread out, terrible downtown (but close to WP to be fair), lack of community feel since there are three very distinct areas within the town separated by very distinct income levels, run down areas near the train and parts of W. Harrison

It's very personal. Having come from suburbia I would never choose Pelham because even if it is safe, you have to deal with too many idiots from neighboring communities on the roads, stores, etc. Note I am not saying that everyone in these areas fit this bill, but the worst of them always seem to be running around Pelham when I have to go down there. On the other hand if you are from the city, you are likely to find yourself miserable in Harrison because outside of the downtown area near the train and in West Harrison, it is incredibly suburban...probably more so than anywhere in lower Westchester.

If its Italian with decent schools you are going for, I would revisit Eastchester.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:54 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,558,693 times
Yes, in my experience, Harrison is oddly empty and quiet for southern Westchester.

Hajime sushi is great though, and there are some good crepes at the creperie there too.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:52 PM

78 posts, read 183,273 times
Wow, I think jjinla has some misinformation on Pelham, and borders on racist. I do not think s/he probably knows, exactly, the difference between "regular" Pelham and Pelham Manor, as both have absolutely beautiful residential areas, and some higher density areas (particularly bordering highways). Yes, the area within Pelham that surrounds the center of town is perhaps not as sparkly as the million dollar homes (both in P and PM) but it is well maintained and provides welcome diversity. I don't live in Pelham, but in one of the neighboring towns and frequently shop on the main street, from the convenient grocery store, to the paint store, ice cream shop, wine store and restaurants, and find it very pleasant. I really don't even want to think what the "worst of them" is supposed to refer to or how jjinla has figured this out.

I would also add that there seems to be a strong, quite wealthy, Italian community within Pelham Manor.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:15 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,458,495 times
I know very well the difference between Pelham Manor and Pelham, and while I do not live there I spend a good amout of time there shopping. Call me racist if you want, although truly I could care less about the color of a person's skin but instead their behavior. Pelham, IMO, just isn't away enough from the city. Sure, if you are strolling along the very small area in the village looking for wine, you feel totally away from it all. But in your daily errands to drop your kids at school, to do any major retail shopping, etc. you are often in and out of not-pretty areas with not-always-so-nice people. It's not dangerous at all, but surrounded on all sides by inferior areas.

This is nothing new...people in northern Westchester often say variations of the same thing about southern Westchester and lo and behold, people in southern Westchester often shudder at the thought of being that close to the Bronx.

The bottom line is that for me having come from suburbia, it's just not away enough for me. It's a personal thing. I didn't sugar coat Harrison, either, if you noticed.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:45 AM

2,006 posts, read 4,306,974 times
Pelham by far

Pros and Cons?

Well lets just say Pelham is by and far more convenient.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:24 PM

78 posts, read 183,273 times
jjinla, your words just speak for themselves. I repeat, how did you figure out these people "running around Pelham" were "the worst of them"? I don't suppose it was from seeing me, white, ivy-educated, driving in my European car, though from one of your inferior neighboring towns, buying wine on Wolfs Lane, was it? (btw, I shop/do errands all up and down Wolfs / Pelhamdale, not just at the wine shop.)

The idea that moms in Pelham drive "in and out" of not so nice areas with mangy people to drop their kids off at school, grab coffee and pick up the dry cleaning is simply preposterous and factually inaccurate.

No, I didn't comment on your take on Harrison. I know nothing about it, having only ever driven through, so I don't presume to have any knowledge about what Harrison is actually like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County