U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2012, 09:29 PM

475 posts, read 817,007 times

Advertisements

How's the job situation in the area? I was coming up for a visit in October to look around the area and decide if I wanna relocate to my home town of Mahopac. This is only the second time I will have been back in over 15 years so was just looking for opinions, I got a little homesick I guess and was just curious. I'm not interested in working in NYC, I like the country and peace and quiet. I also like the small town community feel and a chance get to know the neighbors. I am in a technical field and have a degree in hybrid and electric vehicle technology, my wife has a degree in business management with a minor in accounting. So do you think we could kick it up there or what? Thanks for listening.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 01:28 AM

581 posts, read 1,228,850 times
Weird post.

Why do you want to go to Mahopac and limit yourself?
Are you living near family?

Are you currently employed?
As you know, there aren't exactly any EV plants in Putnam county.

When did you get this hybrid and electric vehicle technology degree?
I did not know there was any such thing.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:42 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,310,101 times
While I also prefer the peace and quiet of the "country" to NYC and I have no desire to work in NYC at all, regardless of salary, I agree with the previous poster that you'd be limiting yourself by moving back to Mahopac, or anywhere in Putnam or Westchester for that matter.

Your wife may have more opportunities with her business management degree and minor in accounting, depending on what exactly she wants to do, but what do you think you'd do with your educational background in Westchester or Putnam? Like the other poster said, there aren't any hybrid or EV plants in this area.

You're either going to have to change your field if you really want to return here, or think of moving someplace else with opportunities in your current field. The latter choice certainly isn't in Westchester or Putnam.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:26 PM

Makes sense...I've been in the automotive field ever since my military career came to an end. I am a certified automotive technician and have my class a vehicle inspector license from the Virginia department of state police. I went to J Segeant Reynolds down in Richmond, the school got a grant from the Department of Energy and implemented the EV program. Hybrid technology is a good field of study, most jobs that require technical skills are pretty decent and usually offer more options then career's that aren't as technical. I guess I just got home sick, I went back to Mahopac last year for a visit and it was the first time I've been back in over 15 years. I got bum-rushed by alot of good memories growing up there, and I guess I want what doesn't really exist anymore. I will be coming back for a visit the first weekend of October, so I guess I can look around some more and see what's out there. Anyways my friends thanks for he replies and offering some insight.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:24 AM

581 posts, read 1,228,850 times
Are your childhood friends still in thee area?
How old are you?
Did you say if you were married or had kids?

Old 07-12-2012, 09:15 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,310,101 times
You didn't mention that you're a certified automotive technician in your original post. That may change things. You are much more likely to be able to find work in that field than something related to your hybrid and EV training.

However, I did have a thought after writing my last post. There's a company down in Yonkers called Kawasaki Rail Car where you *might* be able to use your EV knowledge. I would check the careers page on their website and/or contact them to see if there is anything there that might be a fit for your background.
Here's a link to their webpage: http://www.kawasakirailcar.com/home.asp

Old 07-13-2012, 10:58 AM

Thanks for the link.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:49 PM

17 posts, read 153,140 times
Mahopac has changed...Rodaks is gone, no more Tom Kat. Why come back
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County