Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 08:47 PM

258 posts, read 666,835 times

Advertisements

My husband and I saw an animal in our back yard this evening, and we're not sure what it was. It looked almost like a mix of fox/coyote/domestic dog.

My husband thought it was a fox, but no way was it a fox. The coat was not red enough and the legs weren't short enough. And overall, the animal was too big.

It looked like a small to medium sized dog. Very long tail. Not super thick like a coyote, but covered in fur. Somewhat thick coat that was a mix of red and grey. Reddish fur underneath and the top fur was more grey. Paws did seem to be darker, much like a fox. Head/ears looked like a cross between coyote and fox.

It seemed sort of upset, I thought maybe it had been chased by our neighbors dog, but as I was leaving later this evening, I noticed that one of the many bunnies that like to hang around our house looked very roughed up, with what looked like teeth or claw marks that went down to the skin. Pretty sure the animal had been going after the rabbit.

The first thing I thought when I saw it was 'wild dog'. It had that 'half/mixed breed + wild' look about it that I've seen in photos of wild dogs.

Anyone out there seen anything like this in Northern WC? I googled 'wild dogs Westchester County New York' but nothing comes up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 09:39 PM

796 posts, read 1,755,585 times
Maybe its a chupacabra

Old 07-08-2012, 09:48 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,324,549 times
Might have been a coydog- Coydog - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We live in southern Westchester near a couple small reservoirs and have been seeing more of these things lately than pure coyotes. And they do like rabbit for supper...and your cat.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinuzzo View Post
Maybe its a chupacabra
Thanks for your concern. There are small children -- including my own -- here.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Might have been a coydog- Coydog - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We live in southern Westchester near a couple small reservoirs and have been seeing more of these things lately than pure coyotes. And they do like rabbit for supper...and your cat.
Our cats are indoor, fortunately. I'm concerned about my daughter and my neighbor's children some of whom are still pretty young.

Do you think I should report what I saw? And to whom?

Old 07-09-2012, 09:35 AM

334 posts, read 1,102,216 times
Here's one page that says to report it to the police dept.:
Coyotes in Westchester County, New York

This page says to contact NY DEC
The New York Suburban Coyote Study but their DEC link is broken

Here's a couple of live DEC links
Coyote Conflicts - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation
http://www.dec.ny.gov/about/558.html#region3

Good luck, with small pets and kids around I would be concerned too!

Old 07-09-2012, 10:02 AM

Thanks, gk90. I read through the links, the risk of an attack is low, but I plan to be cautious all the same.

In case anyone else is interested in this thread, what I saw strongly resembled this:
http://www.patfitzphotos.com/Photos/Animals/COYDOG.html

I think it was a coydog. Definitely not pure coyote, but some sort of mix.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:47 AM

Here's a pic of what we saw:

weird animal sighting-coydog.jpeg

Old 07-09-2012, 02:42 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,573,823 times
Direwolf. JK. That is a fox.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytrekker View Post
Direwolf. JK. That is a fox.
Nope, it wasn't a fox. I agree that it looks like a fox in the photo, but it's a very bad photo, taken from inside. I've seen plenty of foxes, and what we saw was absolutely not a fox, neither a gray or a red one.

It was a coydog, it looked almost exactly like the photo in the link above my photo.

But thanks for the sarcasm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
View detailed profiles of: