Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2012, 10:29 AM

3 posts, read 4,849 times

Advertisements

Police just set up traffic checkpoint on Main Street in Armonk, looking for inspection violations, etc. This is the second time I've seen this in the past month. I'm new to the town, is this usual to have these daytime (obviously not sobriety checkpoints) this frequently?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 03:07 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,027,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adressel10 View Post
Police just set up traffic checkpoint on Main Street in Armonk, looking for inspection violations, etc. This is the second time I've seen this in the past month. I'm new to the town, is this usual to have these daytime (obviously not sobriety checkpoints) this frequently?
They do it in Bedford and Pound Ridge all the time. It's common on the entrance ramp to I-684 during morning rush hour. They catch a lot of uninspected vehicles and vehicles with broken tail lights etc. As a bonus they also catch unlicensed drivers. Keep your 6-pack out of sight on the floor and your inspection / registration up to date and you won't have a problem.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:58 PM

866 posts, read 2,483,513 times
They've been doing this lately on Mamaroneck Ave right by the Saxon Woods Pool. They do it during morning rush hour and it causes a VERY VERY long backup. I think it's obnoxious.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:10 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,457,387 times
I would call the mayor and complain if they are doing it in rush hour traffic. That really is uncalled for.

Old 07-20-2012, 05:04 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,470,216 times
I've been working in Armonk for almost 2 years now, and I've never come across a traffic stop like you mentioned. At what times are they doing these stops?

I've seen the North Castle PD have one of their patrol cars set up in different places trying to catch speeders, but I've never seen any traffic checkpoints.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:54 AM

114 posts, read 571,480 times
For a while, White Plains would do it about once every two months. Often, it's done during morning rush hour! It's a "road block", in a sense that there are a couple of cops standing on the painted lines on the road, with two lanes of traffic, each waving cars through.

I have nothing to hide and my inspections are always up-to-date. What frustrated me was the last time WP did that, the cop badgered me about my tinted windows on my car. The NYS legal limit is 70% (it may be 75%, I forget), and mine are either 80% or 85%, well within the legal limit. He told me that they're not and I should peel them off, and he'll give me a ticket next time he sees me. Killed my mood for most of the day because he was such a jerk to me.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:09 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,470,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioGuy93 View Post
What frustrated me was the last time WP did that, the cop badgered me about my tinted windows on my car. The NYS legal limit is 70% (it may be 75%, I forget), and mine are either 80% or 85%, well within the legal limit. He told me that they're not and I should peel them off, and he'll give me a ticket next time he sees me. Killed my mood for most of the day because he was such a jerk to me.
I wasn't sure about what was legal in NY either, so before I had the windows tinted on my last car, I sent an e-mail to the New York State Police and got the following info back from their Public Information Office:
Section 375 (12-a) of the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law does not allow a windshield or front side windows that are dark. The windshield and front side windows cannot block more than 30% of the light. Seventy percent or more of the light from the outside must pass through the window. This law also applies to rear windows unless the vehicle has outside rear-view mirrors on both sides. The mirrors must give the driver a full and clear view behind the vehicle.

It is illegal to operate a vehicle with glass that does not comply with this law.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:08 PM

114 posts, read 571,480 times
Thanks for the clarification, manyroads. Yeah, now I remember the conversation.

Cop: How dark are those windows? (he's wearing sunglasses, btw)
Me: Within the legal limit.
Cop: What's the legal limit?
Me: 70%
Cop: No, it's 30%. It must allow 30% of light...
Me: Yeah, I always get the figures confused. It's 70% light, 30% tint.
Cop: (I don't think he's hearing me) No, it's 30%. Take 'em off.
and so on, and so on...

I have 80% tint (meaning it's blocking 20% of the light), again, within the limit. I tried explaining it but he wasn't really interested in hearing math.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County