U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 01:51 PM

2 posts, read 4,723 times

Advertisements

We are a hard working same sex couple (women) of color that is looking to relocate to Westchester county next year. We visited Bronxville, Tuckahoe, Eastchester, and Katonah last weekend and loved the quaint townie feel. We are hoping to provide our children with a diverse and culturally enriching upbringing in Westchester county. Our priorities are in the following order:
1. Good school system
2. Community/Progressive town with open-minded and educated people
3. Metro-North access (we work in NYC and CT)
4. Affordability (Home price within $450,000-$560,000)

We would love your honest input. Will any of the Westchester county towns or villages be receptive to diversity?

Thank you in advance
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 02:35 PM

1,488 posts, read 4,106,027 times
Bronxville not by a landslide. Nor Eastchester. I don't even know about the other two...maybe the Rivertowns, but you'll never get anything there in that range in lower Westchester. Pleasantville? Croton? Despite our proximity to NYC, I don't find Westchester progressive at all compared to CA where we previously resided.

If you both need to solely rely on Metro-North, you'll need to be along the New Haven line, where you'll have to be past Norwalk before you can touch that price.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:49 PM

835 posts, read 2,214,913 times
I don't think anyone gives two hoots about same sex couples with kids around here. I know of 2 such families at my kids' daycare and no one bats an eye.

Having said that, you are going to stick out in most of the towns with the best school districts, like Scarsdale, Bronxville, Chappaqua, etc, and stay away from Rye, it's very WASPy. For your budget and your need for more diversity, I'd look into White Plains. The schools are not top-notch by Westchester standards, but Westchester standards are extremely high. By all accounts the schools are good (I have subbed in the elementary schools and they are FINE) and offer more diversity than you will find anywhere else, and I'd rank them better than New Rochelle or Port Chester at the high school level. You would be able to get more bang for your buck in WP too. Maybe look into the River towns like Dobbs Ferry or Tarrytown also. It's supposed to be more "laid back" over there...

If you were open to a condo or apartment then you could maybe find something in Mamaroneck which has great schools, and I'm sure others could chime in on the apartment situation in other towns. If you want a house though, your budget is going to be the sticking point. I still think WP is a good option.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:17 PM

293 posts, read 808,937 times
Here's a nice little home in Larchmont in your price range:
14 Elkan Rd Larchmont NY 10538,3221629 | Houlihan Lawrence
While it's only a 2 bedroom, I've seen other listings for the same development that show an extra room that could be used for a bedroom, just not legal to list it as such.

But I agree with Streetsmart, your options would be better in Mamaroneck/Larchmont if you broadened your search to condos/co-ops - houses under $600k you're only looking at true fixer-uppers (aka money pits) or maybe a 3br with 1 bath - and no room to put even a powder room in. I ended up purchasing a co-op instead of a house as I initially intended (mostly because it's just me and my daughter and I didn't want to be tied to the maintenance at this point). Although it would have been nice to have a yard, we're so close to the village that I don't really feel it - we walk everywhere, go to the park, playground, library, shop, restaurants, train, etc - all basically 5 -10 minutes from our place.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:42 PM

1,488 posts, read 4,106,027 times
That street is right off of Palmer...lots of train and 95 noise.

Maybe your daycare is more progressive, but I have kids in the schools in Larchmont and have yet to see a single same sex couple here. Come to think of it, I can't recall seeing a same sex couple in town anywhere in the 2 years I've been here. Hastings we are not!

Old 07-24-2012, 10:59 PM

796 posts, read 1,561,667 times
Check out Hastings-on-Hudson

Old 07-25-2012, 02:48 AM

413 posts, read 1,016,612 times
Pelham, Irvington. Not Bronxville. My daughter had a brief friendship with someone from Bronxville who was frightened of her multicultural friends.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:33 AM

69,465 posts, read 96,298,673 times
Ossining, Tarrytown, Tuckahoe, Valhalla, Mt. Kisco and if you don't mind the west side of the Hudson/Rockland County, Nyack.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:59 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,129,107 times
This thread might help you:

//www.city-data.com/forum/westc...le-kids-2.html

If you decide to live in Nyack, you will have to deal with the Tappan Zee Bridge.

Taxes in Westchester are extraordinary. There really isn't any commercial tax base other than in White Plains.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:32 PM

21,188 posts, read 23,101,688 times
I live in Katonah - and in our little neighborhood there are at least 2 same sex couples that I know of. One of them has children. I love it up here and I love our little area! I highly recommend Katonah and the surrounding areas! Ethnically - it's not that diverse - but I don't think Westchester as a whole is that diverse. The school system is excellent (or so I'm told - my son is nearing his first birthday), we are close to Metro North, and you can probably find something your price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County