U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 05:17 PM

258 posts, read 617,761 times

Advertisements

Anyone know where the best merry-go-rounds in WC are? I took my daughter on one today, she didn't want to leave. Sadly, it was at a mall, would like to find outdoor ones, if there are any. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 09:24 PM

2,528 posts, read 6,190,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoboulette View Post
Anyone know where the best merry-go-rounds in WC are? I took my daughter on one today, she didn't want to leave. Sadly, it was at a mall, would like to find outdoor ones, if there are any. Thanks!
Playland. If the merry-go-round isn't enough try the Derby Racer.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:58 PM

4,787 posts, read 10,687,289 times
Agreed- Playland is the only one I can think of in Westchester. The two big CT parks, Quassy & Lake Compounce also have merry -go rounds.

The only problem I see, is that you have to pay to get into any amusement park and it may not be worth it if all you want is the carousel.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:40 PM

79 posts, read 269,316 times
Not quite in Westchester, but the Bug Carousel at the Bronx Zoo is good fun. Once you pay for zoo entry you can at least see the animals, while Playland will have less to offer if you're principaly interested in the carousel.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:50 PM
bg7

7,696 posts, read 9,463,090 times
Merry-go-rounds and carousels are not the same thing. On that, I don't know of any parks with a proper merry-go-round, but there is a spinning angled disk you can hold on to in Harbor Island Park.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:28 PM

1,489 posts, read 4,134,912 times
What is the difference between a carousel and merry-go-round?

Old 08-16-2012, 06:24 AM

122 posts, read 343,730 times
Not quite Westchester... but there is a very nice carousel at Bear Mountain Park.. just over the Bear Mtn. Bridge in Rockland Co. There is also a small zoo containing animals native to this area.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post
What is the difference between a carousel and merry-go-round?
Cut and paste into google. The result according to posted answers: nothing except possibly direction of rotation. (!!!)

Old 08-16-2012, 08:25 AM
bg7

7,696 posts, read 9,463,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Cut and paste into google. The result according to posted answers: nothing except possibly direction of rotation. (!!!)
Not quite.

Merry go rounds are smaller - look at the images on google. They are often only found in playgrounds, Not much adornment going, and they are human-powered.
Carousels are larger structures, often found in fairs and nowadays malls and resorts, and instead of just holding on you can often sit on something, and they are usually powered.

Its a losing battle though, these sorts of nuances in the English language are dying as people go to dictionary.com or half-baked wikipedia entries. So call it what you like! Glint, glisten, glitter and glimmer are all different, but soon they'll all mean the same thing I'm sure.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Not quite.

Merry go rounds are smaller - look at the images on google. They are often only found in playgrounds, Not much adornment going, and they are human-powered.
Carousels are larger structures, often found in fairs and nowadays malls and resorts, and instead of just holding on you can often sit on something, and they are usually powered.

Its a losing battle though, these sorts of nuances in the English language are dying as people go to dictionary.com or half-baked wikipedia entries. So call it what you like! Glint, glisten, glitter and glimmer are all different, but soon they'll all mean the same thing I'm sure.
Whatever. I'm citing the descriptions resulting from the search. Still, I too abhor such loss of nuance, though this one isn't a personal pet peeve. But it's another example I can pontificate about!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
View detailed profiles of: