U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2012, 05:12 PM

7 posts, read 12,871 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! I'm a 23 yr old female trying to relocate from a small town in MI to New York (preferably Westchester County). I am planning to stay at a hostel in the city for a couple of months until I can find a job and eventually move into a more stable place. I was wondering if finding a job in the city was difficult or if its possible for me to look for a job while in MI, would NY employers even consider me if I havent moved there yet??
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 05:26 PM

475 posts, read 815,261 times
Do not move anywhere until you have a solid job offer. You may be setting yourself up for failure.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:15 PM

2,575 posts, read 6,486,779 times
What kind of job are you looking for? Why NY?

Old 08-12-2012, 06:37 PM

Im looking for a receptionist/secretary/administrative assistant job, basically anything in office.

Ive always wanted to move to NY, I'm a business student and working in NY has been my dream. My first visit there was actually a couple months ago and I absolutely loved it! I have some family and friends there, they reside in Bedford Hills.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:43 PM

475 posts, read 815,261 times
Alot of those white collar jobs have been laid off, it's not a stable market right now, not even in New York City.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:23 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,194,461 times
You're going to need a lot more ambition than being an admin assistant to survive the greater NYC area over the long haul. Many administrative and desk jobs are being off-sited to other states like Vermont, Utah and so on. If you're a business student, try getting into banking (ie, lending). Or as steven r. has mentioned previously, get into a technical field that cannot be shipped out.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
You're going to need a lot more ambition than being an admin assistant to survive the greater NYC area over the long haul. Many administrative and desk jobs are being off-sited to other states like Vermont, Utah and so on. If you're a business student, try getting into banking (ie, lending). Or as steven r. has mentioned previously, get into a technical field that cannot be shipped out.
Im not trying to be a administrative ass't. for the rest of my life, im looking for a starter job just to get things going

Old 08-13-2012, 09:48 AM

51 posts, read 138,543 times
Move here!!! Its your dream you said? Follow them....you only live once. As for the job situation, if you have a degree you should be fine. I would not wait, you can find a job waiting tables, temp work or nanny till you find something full time that you desire. No employer or recruiter is going to bother with the whole re-lo, plenty of talent locally.

Best of luck!

Old 08-13-2012, 09:56 AM

1,496 posts, read 4,249,237 times
Why move to Westchester, though? We are nearly or more expensive as parts of the boroughs, have less going on, and you'll need to pony up several hundred for a metro north pass.

The job market for low-level professionals is no better here than the rest of the country, thouh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County